Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Valve Co-Founder, "PS3 is a total disaster"

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
The Wii is like a child, a retarded child that is amused by waving things in front of it.

The Xbox 360 is like a teen, a reckless teen that is always getting hurt and will probably die after attempt to do a 360 spin on their skateboard while balancing on a handrail.

The PS3 is like an adult, an adult going through a mid life crisis. It wants to drive around in a fast car. It dresses like the cops on Miami Vice and tries to hide the grey in it's hair.

The PC is like a old man. It has been around the block. It screwed the girls, been married and divorced. It has a long history both good and bad. Now it just sits in a old folks home. The nurse steals his money. And if he is looking they'll have him so hooped up on drugs that he won't notice the male nurse screwing him up the ass.

So do you want the retarded kid. Maybe he isn't retarded at all. Maybe he is genius and the world just doesn't understand.

Perhaps you want to take the teen home. Maybe you can pad him up so he won't hurt himself and you'll never see those 3 rings of death. You can then stand in awe as they run around surfing the net, playing games, listening to music and balancing on their hand all at the same time.

Or maybe you want to rescue grandpa. You could sit him down a listen to stories of games played in years past. Or maybe you might learn old grandpa has few new tricks to show off. Just look at the blue eyes of his. There got to be ray of hope there. hmmm maybe not.
Much better. Now that was funny and appropriate.
Old 01-27-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Very nice Baron.
Old 01-29-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, i see, so that's funny and that's the analogy you guys/gals can relate to... huh, no wonder, no wonder...

so, pedophile jokes are ok? male nurse screwing your ass is funny? tsk tsk tsk...
Old 01-29-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Wii is like a child, a retarded child that is amused by waving things in front of it.

The Xbox 360 is like a teen, a reckless teen that is always getting hurt and will probably die after attempt to do a 360 spin on their skateboard while balancing on a handrail.

The PS3 is like an adult, an adult going through a mid life crisis. It wants to drive around in a fast car. It dresses like the cops on Miami Vice and tries to hide the grey in it's hair.

The PC is like a old man. It has been around the block. It screwed the girls, been married and divorced. It has a long history both good and bad. Now it just sits in a old folks home. The nurse steals his money. And if he is looking they'll have him so hooped up on drugs that he won't notice the male nurse screwing him up the ass.

So do you want the retarded kid. Maybe he isn't retarded at all. Maybe he is genius and the world just doesn't understand.

Perhaps you want to take the teen home. Maybe you can pad him up so he won't hurt himself and you'll never see those 3 rings of death. You can then stand in awe as they run around surfing the net, playing games, listening to music and balancing on their hand all at the same time.

Or maybe you want to rescue grandpa. You could sit him down a listen to stories of games played in years past. Or maybe you might learn old grandpa has few new tricks to show off. Just look at the blue eyes of his. There got to be ray of hope there. hmmm maybe not.

Bad analogy, but amusing. If anyone is retarded here it's Sony, clearly.
Old 01-29-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't see anything immature or reckless about the Xbox. I think the 360 is pretty ideal. It is powerful, and integrates the two main developments for this generation, online support and HD, perfectly and to great effect. It is exactly what a console should be.

The PS3 is hardware that is competitive with XBox, but came out later and costs much more because Sony recklessly made a decision to risk their valuable playstation brand on an ill-conceived ploy to use its popularity to make Blu Ray the de facto HD standard. Now, instead of PS3 launching Blu Ray, the expensive optical drive is sinking PS3.
Old 01-29-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I think what BoH means by the 360 being reckless and always getting hurt is the 3-rings of death, and how abou 1 out of 5 360s end up having to be taken to MS for repair, and how MS had to bump their warranty to a year.
Old 01-29-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
1 out of 5 seems a bit high don't you think?
Old 01-29-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I meant 1 out of 50 or 500...
Old 01-29-07, 09:40 PM

1 out of 5 sounds right considering I'm fixing to send back my FOURTH 360!!
Old 01-29-07, 10:23 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sure the 360 has some QC issues. Sony could be capitalizing on that if they didnt have way more problems of their own.
Old 01-30-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by daddydaryl

You serious? I was thinking about getting a X360... Hmmm, that will influence my decision greatly. I can't tolerate a device that breaks down after few months under non-abusive usage.

I brought the Insignia 5-disc dvd surround sound set from BB about a year ago, plays everything fine till the 6th month. Now, only plays CDs, doesn't like DVDs anymore (i'm talking about original dvds, not bootlegs). Why? I don't know... I can't take it back to BB and exchange it since it's like 6 months and hell knows where i put the receipt. Since that incident, i never brought another Insignia product again, no matter how cheap... Same thing with the Toby branded dvd player, what a joke that was! It plays dvd fine, but the subtitle option is way out of sync, WTF?

If i heard a product break down easily or often from serveral sources, i tend to believe it and will definitely avoid it.
Old 01-30-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I think what BoH means by the 360 being reckless and always getting hurt is the 3-rings of death, and how abou 1 out of 5 360s end up having to be taken to MS for repair, and how MS had to bump their warranty to a year.
I don't think the failure rate is that high, or outside the appropriate range for electronics.

I've heard horror stories about people buying computers from every major vendor and having endless problems. The same stories were circulating about PS2 at launch. Same thing with iPods. Apparently, even with reasonable quality controls, there's a 2% failure rate with consumer electronics devices. It's why all these companies have extensive customer service structures.

And, frankly, my suspicion is that people who burn up 4 or 5 consoles in a year are doing something to break them. There were people who wore out four or five PS2s as well.
Old 01-30-07, 12:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PS2 is well documented as having a higher failure rate than most consoles, and the 360 is following suit.

While the internet certainly makes things seem worse (people are going to bitch more when something breaks than praise it when it is working flawlessly) I think it's clear these two systems have a higher than normal failure rate.

The early PS2s due to having a crappy DVD drive (same with the original x-box where one of the drives from one of the manufactures was crap--think Thompson was the one you had to hope you didn't get) and the 360 has problems due to overheating (which obviously can be complicated by people not giving it enough breathing room).

The people wearing through several PS2s or 360s are probably just unlucky and play a ton of games. With crappy drives and overheating problems more use and longer sessions will of course burn through the machines much quicker.
Old 01-30-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
You serious? I was thinking about getting a X360... Hmmm, that will influence my decision greatly. I can't tolerate a device that breaks down after few months under non-abusive usage.

I brought the Insignia 5-disc dvd surround sound set from BB about a year ago, plays everything fine till the 6th month. Now, only plays CDs, doesn't like DVDs anymore (i'm talking about original dvds, not bootlegs). Why? I don't know... I can't take it back to BB and exchange it since it's like 6 months and hell knows where i put the receipt. Since that incident, i never brought another Insignia product again, no matter how cheap... Same thing with the Toby branded dvd player, what a joke that was! It plays dvd fine, but the subtitle option is way out of sync, WTF?

If i heard a product break down easily or often from serveral sources, i tend to believe it and will definitely avoid it.
Which is why it has a year long warranty, and if it bricks, Microsoft sends you another one.
Old 01-30-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by daddydaryl
Sheesh. I guess I should consider myself lucky after hearing all of these 360 hardware problems. I've had my system since launch with no issues yet.
Old 01-30-07, 12:16 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why the PS3 is in danger of being a 'total disaster' has little to do with the reliability of the technology and more to do with 1.Below average games and lost exclusives 2.TERRIBLE online multiplayer capabilities 3.Unreasonable price 4.Blu Ray slipups (see HD section of this forum)... and more. I cant list everything but this thread is right. The PS3 is doing poorly for many reasons--His claim that it was a 'total disaster' is well founded and has nothing to do with Quality Control. Thats not 'good news' to Sony.
Old 01-30-07, 12:19 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by RichC2
Which is why it has a year long warranty, and if it bricks, Microsoft sends you another one.
Only downside is you lose your game saves if you can't get them to a memory card (assuming you have the premium and save to the HDD).
Old 01-30-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Only downside is you lose your game saves if you can't get them to a memory card (assuming you have the premium and save to the HDD).
You don't send in your hard drive.
Old 01-30-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since the hard-drive is detachable, and never the culprit for a faulty 360, can't you just detach it before you send it off for repairs, thereby keeping your game saves?
Old 01-30-07, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Unforunately no, since your warranty is for both the HDD and the System, both have to be replaced at the same time, at least that's what I've been told on numerous accounts.

It's the single perk I have, having bought the core + hdd (before xmas of 2005, the last premium sold to the guy in front of me ). Thus, I only send back the unit. And I have a collection of HDD connection protectors now, woohoo.

Also, just convince a friend to buy the X360 HDD -> PC adapter, and borrow it when the time comes .
Old 01-30-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've returned two and both times they EXPLICITLY stated NOT to include the hard drive.

This is through MS. Returning to BB or other retailer may entail including the drive.
Old 01-30-07, 01:41 PM
Retired

Good to know, I thought they required sending both in.