Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bill Gates Now Says Nintendo is #1 Competitor to Xbox

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 02:05 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In terms of competing for the spending dollars of non-gamers, I can see where Bill is coming from. The 360, nor the PS3 for that matter, has the Wii's uncanny ability to transition a non-gamer into spending hours hovering around the TV.

While their online system is obviously inferior to the vast offerings of Xbox Live (the 16 digit number system is utterly ridiculous), Nintendo has nailed their arcade offerings and has surpassed Live Arcade in less than a couple months in my opinion, in terms of the quality and increasing quantity of games.

The upcoming software lineups seems like polar opposites to me. Nintendo will continue to kick ass at platformers, niches titles, and party games while the 360 will dominate with FPS titles, action/adventure games, and anything with a heavy online following. One genre that may be up for grabs is the sports arena, depending on EA's creativity with the Wii control system. If only I could have the online goodness of Xbox Live with the motion control of the Wii.

The PS3 is just a non-factor at this point. Pick any reason, too expensive, lack of exclusive titles currently available, limited online structure, etc... It's going to take the majority of 2007 for the PS3 to become attractive enough to the average gamer looking to pick up a new system. And I'm not talking about re-hiring Zipatoni to manufacture a new viral campaign for the PS3.

As a gamer, I see tons of reasons to own the Wii60 right now. But from a non-gamer perspective, I would only pick up the Wii.

Last edited by Flay; 01-11-07 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Of course Bill is going to say something like this. He is trying to lend support to a machine which his company sees inferior, yet might steal some thunder from their main competitor. Its typical Microsoft bullshit all the way. I have not been greatly impressed by the PS3, but at the same time it seems to offer the same as the Xbox 360 which has been on the market significantly longer. At least with the PS3 you get a Blu-ray player. The price of both Sony and Microsoft's systems are too high at the moment and i don't think justify investment. The Wii is cheaper and i think still needs more time to develop software that will truly show the machine at its best. Zelda is great...but every other release title is garbage.
Old 01-11-07, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Another problem the ps3 has is the price of games. People that just shelled out $500/$600 for a game system are than being asked to pay $59.99 plus sales tax for one game and the offerings aren't all that strong. (I have 4 games and an extra controller but I bought them at a large discount early on in the google $20/$50 deal when they shipped free and at best buy with pm and gc deal so I paid closer to $40 net per game) By contrast Wii games start at $49.99 and there are several titles that have a MSRP of $39.99,$29.99 (Think rapala, full auto? (forget name..the compilation), rampage) so the games are more affordable as well.

Wii is billed as a family console so cost of games can be a factor. While I split my time between the two consoles as a family we spend more time on the Wii. (Don't have a 360, just an regular xbox)

The one thing I missed when I bought the wii was the extra cost I was going to shell out for controllers. While I managed to get three remotes for $10 off each it was still $30 X 3 plus tax, $20 x 3 for 3 more nunchucks (which I thouht was needed but I probably could have got by with one more.) and $20 for two classic controllers. You wind up spending almost as much as the console cost just for extra controllers to make it a family experience. (again now that I have played it more I may return two remotes since it seems like many games let players share turns with remotes but having not played the Wii when I bought it I didn't realize this)
Old 01-11-07, 02:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If I were to take Flay's post up above and send it back to 2001, nobody would believe me.
Old 01-11-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
For a while I think it will be Nintendo & Microsoft fighting it out but I think Sony will eventually catch up and pass Microsoft. Micrsoft has failed in Japan while both Nintendo & Sony will continue to receive strong support there. I just don't see how the 360 will end up #1 w/o strong support from Japan -- it could happen but I just don't think it will.
The Japan factor is a good point. I was only thinking of how the consoles will do in the U.S., not worldwide, but you're right about MS in Japan. They made a little progress with Blue Dragon, but they are still lagging far behind. I understand the U.S. market much better than the Japanese market, so I won't even venture a guess as to how Sony will do in Japan.

At any rate, I still think the PS3 is a huge unknown at this point in time. Without a number of strong and widely-known exclusives, I can't see lots of people shelling out $500 or more for the system when they can spend $400 or less on a 360. As mentioned in other posts, lots of the big name games are going to be on both systems, and if anything, the 360 versions of these games will probably have more to offer (Live play being the main factor). Sony's network can't really compare right now. And Blu-Ray is a non-factor from a mainstream perspective. Neither HD movie format is really taking off yet.

I'm glad I have a PS3. I bought it mainly as a Blu-Ray player, knowing that there will be some cool exclusive games in the future. I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone right now unless they are planning to buy and watch a lot of Blu-Ray movies.
Old 01-11-07, 02:32 PM

If the PS3 and X-box are having problems drawing people with a lack of games now. The Wii sales will only get stronger in the spring with titles like Mario Galaxy and Metroid.

Mario Party 8 with the new remote setup could be the game that really pushes the system across all age groups.

To think I was wishing Nintendo to fail with the Wii so they could just be a game developer for one or both the PS3/360. Talk about a nice comeback.
Old 01-11-07, 02:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kklems
Another problem the ps3 has is the price of games. People that just shelled out $500/$600 for a game system are than being asked to pay $59.99 plus sales tax for one game and the offerings aren't all that strong. (I have 4 games and an extra controller but I bought them at a large discount early on in the google $20/$50 deal when they shipped free and at best buy with pm and gc deal so I paid closer to $40 net per game) By contrast Wii games start at $49.99 and there are several titles that have a MSRP of $39.99,$29.99 (Think rapala, full auto? (forget name..the compilation), rampage) so the games are more affordable as well.

Wii is billed as a family console so cost of games can be a factor. While I split my time between the two consoles as a family we spend more time on the Wii. (Don't have a 360, just an regular xbox)

The one thing I missed when I bought the wii was the extra cost I was going to shell out for controllers. While I managed to get three remotes for $10 off each it was still $30 X 3 plus tax, $20 x 3 for 3 more nunchucks (which I thouht was needed but I probably could have got by with one more.) and $20 for two classic controllers. You wind up spending almost as much as the console cost just for extra controllers to make it a family experience. (again now that I have played it more I may return two remotes since it seems like many games let players share turns with remotes but having not played the Wii when I bought it I didn't realize this)
A lot of people seem to forget that compared to the PS3, the 360's launch line-up was similarly uninspiring and they were also priced at the $60 level. It's the games that came along in the spring that helped to really establish the system.

Wii games are cheaper, but Nintendo kills you with all the accessories you need.
Old 01-11-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
The Wii is cheaper and i think still needs more time to develop software that will truly show the machine at its best. Zelda is great...but every other release title is garbage.
I agree. The reason Wii has exclusives is because of the nature of the controller and game play. However, don't sell Rayman: Raving Rabids short, dude. That game is hella-fun. (And WarioWare: Smooth Moves should be too!)

One of the few multiple platform games seems to be Marvel Ultimate Alliance which I have but haven't played yet. My understanding from reviews is that the Wii is the best platform for the title simply because of the controls. What may be interesting to to see how many companies pursue "exclusive" titles for the Wii simply because of the controls. As with anything (see DS), it will take game developers time to best implement/surround a decent game around the movement concepts of the Wii. Heck, I have enough titles to keep me plenty busy until the next good one arrives.

Last edited by rfduncan; 01-12-07 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-11-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe both Sony and Microsoft overestimated the number of people who would be willing and able to shell out hundreds of dollars for better graphics. I would love either console but 1. I don't have hundreds of dollars to shell out for yet another console right now, and 2. I don't have a HDTV to enjoy said graphics on.
Old 01-11-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
How does Nintendo kill you with accessories? The reason you need those accessories is because it is so addictive as a party system. If the focus was on single player, what accessories would you have purchased? Maybe a $20 virtual controller? The accessories aren't really any more expensive than the other 2 systems, but you just don't feel compelled to buy them.

However I will say that if I had the money I would have purchased a 360 along with a Wii, but since I could only choose one at the moment (due to time constraints along with money) I went for the cheaper system.

I do look forward to when I can afford the 360, and all the games people are talking about now can be had for $20-$30. That will be great.
Old 01-11-07, 03:34 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BGPu
A lot of people seem to forget that compared to the PS3, the 360's launch line-up was similarly uninspiring and they were also priced at the $60 level. It's the games that came along in the spring that helped to really establish the system.
Indeed, but buy launching a year earlier they had that luxury as they had no next gen competition.

Now Sony is in that same launch/post-launch rut but has to deal with the cheaper 360 with several killer games and a good selection of $20-30 titles.
Old 01-11-07, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
How does Nintendo kill you with accessories? The reason you need those accessories is because it is so addictive as a party system. If the focus was on single player, what accessories would you have purchased? Maybe a $20 virtual controller? The accessories aren't really any more expensive than the other 2 systems, but you just don't feel compelled to buy them.

However I will say that if I had the money I would have purchased a 360 along with a Wii, but since I could only choose one at the moment (due to time constraints along with money) I went for the cheaper system.

I do look forward to when I can afford the 360, and all the games people are talking about now can be had for $20-$30. That will be great.
40 bucks for the Wiimote, which unlike the competitors isn't rechargeable. I'm expecting a $60 rechargeable Wiimote at some point. 20 bucks for the Nunchuck (fairly essential). 20 bucks for the Classic Controller (not copmpletely essential). 20 bucks for whatever attachment they come up with next (a gun has been mentioned) if you want to play whatever game it's needed for.

Nintendo will nickel & dime people to death, although this time around the accessories won't be completely useless soon after they release them... we hope...
Old 01-11-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

40 bucks for the Wiimote, which unlike the competitors isn't rechargeable. I'm expecting a $60 rechargeable Wiimote at some point. 20 bucks for the Nunchuck (fairly essential). 20 bucks for the Classic Controller (not copmpletely essential). 20 bucks for whatever attachment they come up with next (a gun has been mentioned) if you want to play whatever game it's needed for.

Nintendo will nickel & dime people to death, although this time around the accessories won't be completely useless soon after they release them... we hope...
Question: What is required to enjoy the Wii beyond what was included in the box?

I'll agree with you about internal rechargeable batteries, but everyone should have rechargeable AAs already anyway. There will be an eventual upgrade to them in the future, and there will be 3rd party solutions:
Old 01-11-07, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Question: What is required to enjoy the Wii beyond what was included in the box?

I'll agree with you about internal rechargeable batteries, but everyone should have rechargeable AAs already anyway. There will be an eventual upgrade to them in the future, and there will be 3rd party solutions:
If you're playing by yourself, nothing honestly. Maybe a Classic Controller in the box would help.

If you aren't playing on a wireless internet connection, the lack of a LAN input kind of sucks.
Old 01-11-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The ethernet thing has always puzzled me. Loved they included WiFi, but that omission seems bizarre. It could be nothing more than a way to "nickel & dime" people who do need that sort of thing. I understand the inclusion of WiFi to be a no-brainer since it'll be the backbone for the Wii-DS communication.
Old 01-11-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yeah I don't seen MS staying ahead of Sony in the long run in worldwide sales due to sucking in Japan.

MS may stay ahead in the US and/or Europe though.
True, but MS does have the 360 in around, what, 37 countries now? Most of which haven't even seen a console release? Isn't it possible that a ton of newsmall markets could easily compensate for one large market.

I disagree. Before launch I would have been on your side, but the numbers don't lie:

SIXAXIS is rechargeable out of the box for $60. The 360 pad is NOT rechargeable out of the box for $50, it requires an additional $20 plug & play kit or a $30 docking station. So strictly on SRP you are looking at at least $70 for a rechargeable 360 controller. Price would decrease with each additional controller though, to just the battery at $10.

The Wiimote is $40, and Nintendo was right to package them separate from the nunchuck because right now you don't really need three extra nunchucks, maybe one. So in all actuality the Wiimote is the cheapest. Nintendo has said that they won't be doing rechargeable Wiimotes, so third party is your option, which is an added cost like the 360.

The classic controller and other peripherals are not required and shouldn't be a factor in the discussion.
Old 01-11-07, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
Exactly. Not everyone can afford the Wii60 setup.

If you can't afford a Wii360 set up, then you can't afford a PS3 either. Console bashing aside, that paints the clearest picture to the potential trouble Sony may be in. Hardcore gamers are probably going to buy all three systems, but there is just not enough of that demographic to support the industry. When faced with the option of getting two gaming systems that are significantly different or just one system, I believe the majority of casual gamers will side with getting two systems for only $50 more than one.

The key is going to be exclusive titles. If Sony holds on to Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, then I don't think they have that much to worry about. They will probably just have to take an even bigger hit on the hardware and have a price drop in a year or two.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Wiimote/Nunchuck combo only $10 more than the PS3 controller? Yeah, you do have the classic controller if you want it, but that is by no means required. The most ridiculous thing to me is the fact that Sony is selling a machine hinged on the hi-def future, yet they only provide composite cables with the system. The vast majority of the casual gamers or parents buy a system for their kids are going to be buying the HDMI cable to really get the hi def benefits from Best Buy or Circuit City and not Monoprice or Firefold like a lot of us. That means on average the average consumer will be spending another $65-120 for an HDMI cable.

Last edited by sq240; 01-11-07 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Sony has said that the PS3 sold to a million quicker than any previous Playstation console. By that metric, the Wii has sold 2x quicker than any previous Playstation console, including the PS3.

I also think that the PS3s sitting in stores are a combination of low demand and good supply. The 360 had low demand and very low supply, and the Wii has high demand and good supply.
there are two huge PS3 threads at fatwallet and the latest reports are that there are a ton of PS3's being returned to different stores and that stores aren't ordering anymore until they sell the returns and current stock
Old 01-11-07, 05:11 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The classic controller and other peripherals are not required and shouldn't be a factor in the discussion.
I disagree with that to an extent. The VC is a big draw, and you need either a CC or a GC controller to play most of the games.

Even for those like me with a couple of GC controllers I saved, the CC is still pretty much required IMO as the GC controller is pretty much useless for the old 2D games due to the terrible d-pad and funky button layout.

So I can see the CC as pretty much a required accessory for anyone wanting to take advantage of the VC--which is probably going to be most owners.
Old 01-11-07, 06:01 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Groucho
If I were to take Flay's post up above and send it back to 2001, nobody would believe me.
My 2001 alter ego would have called you a dirty Nintendo sympathizer and assaulted you with propaganda on the awesomeness of upcoming XBox platformers like Azurik and Shrek.
Old 01-11-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
I see quite a few titles coming in the Spring that should be worth playing....

Virtua Fighter 5
Oblivion
MotorStorm
Heavenly Sword
Assassin's Creed
The Darkness
MLB '07
Lair

Just to name a few.
One of which is already available on the 360, and 3 others that will be.
Old 01-11-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it's too early to tell about how the PS3 is gonna do. I don't really understand why people get into console wars: just get a higher paying job and buy them all! I'm loving my 360 and would like to get a Wii eventually. It would take a lot for me to get a PS3, I would say at least 7 games that I really want and are exclusive. To each his own.
Old 01-11-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
One genre that may be up for grabs is the sports arena, depending on EA's creativity with the Wii control system.
Thank God Nintendo is not betting on EA's creativity to sell consoles though

I think that's one of the few times, I've read EA and creativity in the same sentence without the word "lack" in between...
Old 01-11-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think it's too early to tell about how the PS3 is gonna do. I don't really understand why people get into console wars:
I don't see anyone (at least not here) getting "into" the console wars. We're just hypothesizing and theorizing what's going to happen, when, and why.

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
just get a higher paying job and buy them all!
That's pretty silly. I could easily afford to have bought a PS3 on launch day (even at the inflated eBay prices). I can walk into the local Best Buy or Walmart and have my pick of a dozen 60GB models. I simply have absolutely no desire to own one. Not in the slightest. And it's not because I'm getting "into" the console war. It's called being a discerning consumer... weighing the cost and benefits and how well the product will meet my needs. The PS3 does not meet any needs that aren't already being fulfilled by the 360 and Wii.

I'm quite satisfied with my 360 and Wii. The primary reason for buying the Wii was for it to double as an internet terminal in our guest room so that friends and family could check their email or surf the web while they are visiting. It has served that purpose very well, but it turned out to be a fantastic "party" game system, photo, music, and video player, as well.
Old 01-11-07, 11:19 PM

Well, the official #'s are in

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multime...111174045.html

Microsoft Xbox 360 Outsells Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation 3 Combined – Research.

Microsoft Xbox 360 – The Most Successful Newest-Gen Game Console in the U.S.

by Anton Shilov

[ 01/11/2007 | 05:43 PM ]

Microsoft Corp., the company who is already the largest supplier of software for computers in the world, may claim victory over competing new-generation game consoles in the U.S., as sales of Xbox 360 have outpaced its rivals – Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation 3 combined.

Still, Sony’s PlayStation 2 seems to be ahead of everything, while the dynamics of the PlayStation 3 and Wii sales may be much more remarkable than Microsoft could claim for its game consoles.

NPD Research, an independent market tracking agency, has indicated that back in December there were shipped 1.132 million Xbox 360 game consoles, 604 thousand Nintendo Wii game machines and 490.7 thousand Sony PlayStation 3 much-anticipated game consoles in the USA. Given the shortage of the PlayStation 3, Microsoft’s game console can claim victory over competing systems, as its market share was 51% back last month.

“That’s a significant milestone. There’s an old rule that the first to 10 million [new-generation console sales] has a distinct advantage,” David Hufford, director of Xbox product management, told the Financial Times news-paper on Thursday.

NPD’s market figures are considerably lower compared to those released by companies like Nintendo and Sony, who indicate the amount shipped to their retail and etail partners, while NPD estimates the number of products sold to end-users.

Previous-generation game consoles are still much more than popular due to relatively low price points. For example, Sony Computer Systems America alone sold around 1.4 million of PlayStation 2 game consoles, which is about the same amount of new generation game consoles sold combined.

Video game and hardware sales reached $3.7 billion in December, which is up 28%, NPD’s figures indicate. Moreover, the total U.S. gaming market accounted for $12.5 billion in 2006, a 19% increase year-over-year.

There is no information concerning sales of Nintendo Wii, Microsoft Xbox 360 and Sony PlayStation 3 worldwide, but given a more than a year advantage, Microsoft is more than likely to have sold much higher amount of units globally.

Chris

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.