DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   PS3 + Component = ??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/487465-ps3-component-%3D.html)

Gallant Pig 12-22-06 08:50 PM

PS3 + Component = ???

I'm just wondering what the deal is when using component cables with a PS3...

I'm trying to hook my PS3 up to my projector using the PS3 component cables and nothing is happening. My projector DOES NOT support HDCP. I thought I should be able to receive some sort of signal however just degraded?

Thanks!

Patman 12-22-06 09:06 PM

Does your projector accept 720p? If not, then it could be a problem, though it's supposed to drop down to 480p.

Gallant Pig 12-22-06 09:09 PM

It's not a native 720p PJ, it's a 520p native, but works fine with my 360 using component. I just tried it with a DVI -> HDMI cable and no-go there either. I'm guessing the PS3 is crapping itself over the lack of HDCP?

joeblow69 12-22-06 09:17 PM

I had problems hooking up component stuff to my 520p native projector too. It accepts all sorts of hi-def signals, but downsamples them to 520p. I had to go into the projector settings and tell it exactly what resolution I was feeding it. Then it started working fine.

Gallant Pig 12-22-06 09:18 PM

So you guys are saying it SHOULD work? Even if it isn't HDCP compatible?

Gallant Pig 12-22-06 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I had problems hooking up component stuff to my 520p native projector too. It accepts all sorts of hi-def signals, but downsamples them to 520p. I had to go into the projector settings and tell it exactly what resolution I was feeding it. Then it started working fine.

My PJ doesn't have a lot of fancy options for outputting resolutions... It's the Panny 300U if that helps.. I played around with the menu just now but didn't see anything that would help. Oh well! I guess I need to wait until I get a 1080p PJ to enjoy BluRay in all its glory :D

flashburn 12-22-06 09:27 PM

HDCP is irrelevent when it comes to component cables. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, which would only come into play with digital connections.

Anyway, I think I recall if you press/hold the power button for a few seconds it will reset its output, which should give you a picture. Give that a shot.

DVDKrayzie 12-22-06 10:23 PM

i dunno if this is your problem but i had to first hook it up with composite, switch the output to 1080/component within the menus, then plug in the component wires.

Gallant Pig 12-22-06 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by flashburn
HDCP is irrelevent when it comes to component cables. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection, which would only come into play with digital connections.

Anyway, I think I recall if you press/hold the power button for a few seconds it will reset its output, which should give you a picture. Give that a shot.

this worked, ths :up: