DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   M$ extending warr. on 360 to 1 yr. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/487450-m%24-extending-warr-360-1-yr.html)

corbin dallas 12-22-06 05:35 PM

M$ extending warr. on 360 to 1 yr.

Saw a story on local news. Looking for a press release to confirm.

http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/p...tensionPR.mspx

OOPS. Mods please delete as I just saw this same thing posted in the Official 360 thread..

Sorry all.

Shimmer35 12-22-06 05:55 PM

It's already on 18004myxbox too. Says if that's why you are calling to hang up, checks will automatically be mailed out to those who paid out of pocket within ten weeks. Woo Hoo!!!! Get my $69.95 back only to use it to buy a 2 year warranty :)

BBEANLPHIE 12-22-06 11:07 PM

wow so now its for all systems

Decker 12-23-06 02:34 AM

That's good news, but now I feel like a jackass for getting the 2 yr warranty at Overstock.

brad0478 12-23-06 09:37 AM

I bought a 3 years extended warranty at Sam's with my 360 and they just told me that their's takes over after the year. Brings my total warranty to 4 years for only 40 bucks.

Xanager 12-23-06 10:29 AM

That's a nice deal. I called and they said that if you bought an extended warranty through MS, it adds the 1 year to your warranty status.

Giantrobo 12-23-06 10:33 AM

Granted, MS shoulda built more reliable system ;) ...but I really like the way they're handling their obvious cock up. It seems every couple months they do a little bit more to make things better. :up:

Giantrobo 12-23-06 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Xanager
That's a nice deal. I called and they said that if you bought an extended warranty through MS, it adds the 1 year to your warranty status.

So....I go one year with the new warranty. Since I bought the 2 yr from MS, one year kicks in <i>after</i> the new one year, then the 2nd year kicks in after that one? So I end up with something like 3 or more years of coverage? Am I understanding this right?

Hell, if it works that way I think I may be covered until the the next wave of Nex Gen systems come out. :p:up:

redcat 12-23-06 11:00 AM

Nice move on their part. For it to take effect, do you have to send in proof of purchase or something when you buy your console? I just realized I forgot to do anything like that when I bought mine three months ago.

Xanager 12-23-06 11:01 AM

The way I understood him explaining it is your extended warranty kicks in after your original warranty had it been 1 year (instead of 90 days).

For instance, let's say you bought at launch last November. Well, if you bought an extended warranty, it started 90 days after November. Now though, your extended warranty will start 1 year after November 2005, so you will be one month into your extended warranty presently. Hope that makes sense.

The way you described it would give you some extra time, so hopefully I'm wrong :)

clemente 12-23-06 02:47 PM

I was going to buy the 1 year warranty on the 360 I bought from Microcenter - whew, good thing I slacked on that.

argh923 12-23-06 04:12 PM

Apparently, if you've had a console replaced by Microsoft, this doesn't apply. Which is bullshit.

SoonerDoc 12-23-06 08:50 PM

someone posted on another forum that microsoft is not adding two years after the one year is over if you bought the two year warranty. it starts from when it was issued, so basically you are paying for a year for nothing. they said there is a money back satisfaction guarantee. sounds like you have to send a letter with specific info to msoft to get you extended warranty refunded. several on that forum have done that, and i plan to do so also. i am going to call msoft first next week and confirm this. fucking jackals. how hard is it to just start the damn warranty after the 1 year is over. sheesh !!!

Giantrobo 12-24-06 04:56 AM

whaaaat?

Shimmer35 12-24-06 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Apparently, if you've had a console replaced by Microsoft, this doesn't apply. Which is bullshit.

What are you talking about? In the presser it states:

"Effective today, the one-year warranty is now the standard for the Xbox 360 console. Customers who experience hardware issues with their Xbox 360 within one year of purchase can have their consoles repaired at no cost. Moreover, the new warranty policy is retroactive, so consumers who may have already paid for an out-of-warranty Xbox 360 repair within one year of purchase will be eligible for reimbursement of their console repair charges."

It doesn't say you can have only one repair (like the previous change in the warranty for launch systems was) and it states that it is retroactive to all consoles. You get the same repair benefits of the original 90 day warranty now extended to one year. Just because you already got a replacement doesn't mean you can't get another replacement (unless it's already passed a year since you bought it). So where the hell did you come up with this?

Cardiff Giant11 12-24-06 11:31 AM

yeah i'm curious about the one repair thing too, hopefully the article is correct and there are no restrictions. I bought my console in January and it was replaced in like April. My new one seems to ocasionally freeze up whilethe old one game me the red lights of death. so far it's done in in GOW, Splinter Cell Double Agent, and that Smash Bros. type game in the Arcade. I'll have to give them a call and get the scoop.

argh923 12-24-06 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shimmer35
What are you talking about? In the presser it states:

"Effective today, the one-year warranty is now the standard for the Xbox 360 console. Customers who experience hardware issues with their Xbox 360 within one year of purchase can have their consoles repaired at no cost. Moreover, the new warranty policy is retroactive, so consumers who may have already paid for an out-of-warranty Xbox 360 repair within one year of purchase will be eligible for reimbursement of their console repair charges."

It doesn't say you can have only one repair (like the previous change in the warranty for launch systems was) and it states that it is retroactive to all consoles. You get the same repair benefits of the original 90 day warranty now extended to one year. Just because you already got a replacement doesn't mean you can't get another replacement (unless it's already passed a year since you bought it). So where the hell did you come up with this?

Where the hell did I come up with this? Microsoft. Talked to them last night.

Now, I will say this - I bought my first 360 over a year ago. My point is that since they sent me a replacement - one that had a manufactured date even EARLIER than the one I bought (the one I had had a date of 12.2.05, and my replacement is a launch console), it's ridiculous that it won't be under warranty.

Chris_D 12-24-06 06:05 PM

Not really, pretty much standard practice for all manufacturer warranties I would say.

Shimmer35 12-24-06 08:40 PM

Where the hell did I come up with this? Microsoft. Talked to them last night.

Now, I will say this - I bought my first 360 over a year ago. My point is that since they sent me a replacement - one that had a manufactured date even EARLIER than the one I bought (the one I had had a date of 12.2.05, and my replacement is a launch console), it's ridiculous that it won't be under warranty.

They give you a year warranty from the date you purchase your original, not the manufacture date of your replacement. You said that they don't replace them after they have already been replaced which isn't true. As long as you are within the year warranty from your original purchase date, not your manufacture date of you original or replacement. Which is why what you said didn't make sense because you didn't mention you were talking about a console that had already been bought passed the year warranty period.

I agree, that it is bullshit that they send you a remanufactured unit that is different because its not your original unit and it shouldn't count. But you still get a year warranty retroactively from the purchase date of your original.

argh923 12-24-06 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shimmer35
They give you a year warranty from the date you purchase your original, not the manufacture date of your replacement. You said that they don't replace them after they have already been replaced which isn't true. As long as you are within the year warranty from your original purchase date, not your manufacture date of you original or replacement. Which is why what you said didn't make sense because you didn't mention you were talking about a console that had already been bought passed the year warranty period.

I agree, that it is bullshit that they send you a remanufactured unit that is different because its not your original unit and it shouldn't count. But you still get a year warranty retroactively from the purchase date of your original.

Yeah, in retrospect, I don't think I was making myself too clear.

But...exactly. I got a completely different unit back. I should get that for a year warranty.

Xbox69 12-28-06 01:43 PM

I have a defective wireless controller. The B button has stopped working. I call 18004MYXBOX and they gave me an address for the repair center. It's probably the closest one here in TX.

I have to ship it to them and they are not sending me a box. Is that normal? I called them just days before the 1 year warranty news broke. It would still be repaired or replaced FREE of charge.

I bought the Premium console online 2 weeks ago and the retailer would have me send the entire box to them for replacement. The MS guy I spoke with said it was up to me whether I shipped it [controller] insured, etc. I figure it'll be around $10.

gimmepilotwings 12-28-06 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
I have a defective wireless controller. The B button has stopped working. I call 18004MYXBOX and they gave me an address for the repair center. It's probably the closest one here in TX.

I have to ship it to them and they are not sending me a box. Is that normal? I called them just days before the 1 year warranty news broke. It would still be repaired or replaced FREE of charge.

I bought the Premium console online 2 weeks ago and the retailer would have me send the entire box to them for replacement. The MS guy I spoke with said it was up to me whether I shipped it [controller] insured, etc. I figure it'll be around $10.

They should send you a box. Call them back, and speak to someone who is not a retard.

argh923 12-28-06 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings
They should send you a box. Call them back, and speak to someone who is not a retard.

Not anymore. When I had mine replaced, I was told the box policy had been discontinued.

I think it's a good thing, if you're looking to get your system back faster.

Xbox69 12-28-06 07:20 PM

Not anymore. When I had mine replaced, I was told the box policy had been discontinued.

I think it's a good thing, if you're looking to get your system back faster.

This is for the controller only. NEWEGG.com would've had me return the entire system to them for FREE replacement as it was within their 30 day policy. There was no way I could separate the controller from the console.

I guess it's reasonable. Now to find some bubble wrap and a box. I've still been using the controller and have purchased a replacement (Pelican, wired) already on the way.

sniper308 12-28-06 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Xbox69
This is for the controller only. NEWEGG.com would've had me return the entire system to them for FREE replacement as it was within their 30 day policy. There was no way I could separate the controller from the console.

I guess it's reasonable. Now to find some bubble wrap and a box. I've still been using the controller and have purchased a replacement (Pelican, wired) already on the way.

Why not buy a new wireless MS controller and return the defective one in its place?