Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Where can I buy a new/used Super Nintendo?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to buy by nephew a Super Nintendo. He had one when he was a little kid and use to play all the donkey kong games. He always talks about how much fun he use to have.

Are they available new/used from any stores? I mean like EB Games and places like that. I'm not a gamer & have only heard of EB games. Are there any other game store places?

I'd rather not buy from eBay.

Thanks for any help!

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 12-16-06 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-16-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You might post a "wanted" ad on the exchange forum here or on Craig's List.

If you want to go to an actual store to get it, Gamestop/EB is pretty much it as far as I know.

Ebay is by far the quickest/easiest way to go...just be sure to check the seller's feedback carefully.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-06, 08:43 AM
Banned

My local Gamestop has a handful of crappy beat up used PS1 games and nothing older than that. I would be surprised if any Gamestop/EB still carries stuff as old as the SNES. About your only option would be on the internet with sites like Ebay and Craig's List. Pawn shops might have a used SNES if you get really lucky.
Old 12-16-06, 09:32 AM

I have a SNES if you are interested shoot me an email.
Old 12-16-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I bought a new sealed SNES from eBay a couple years back. That is your first and best option but for some reason you want to avoid it.
Old 12-16-06, 10:29 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gamecrazy would be a place to check as they tend to carry more old stuff than the other chain stores.
Old 12-16-06, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The only chain store that sells classic consoles in Game Crazy. However, the SNES is one of the most popular classic consoles which is often sold as soon as it arrives. Most are also 'yellowed' and nasty looking. Hit ebay...you can pick up a SNES and a handful of games for $30.
Old 12-16-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
I got lucky. A friend was cleaning out his storage and decided to give away his consoles. I got a PS1, Super Nintendo and an N64.
Old 12-18-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Won't most of the games eventually come out through the Wii virtual console?
Old 12-18-06, 10:02 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Won't most of the games eventually come out through the Wii virtual console?
Yes, but some prefer to play them on the actual system, and sadly many of the games can be bought for less than the $8 they sell for on the virtual console.
Old 12-19-06, 12:47 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Yes, but some prefer to play them on the actual system, and sadly many of the games can be bought for less than the $8 they sell for on the virtual console.
Yes, currently there are only 3 SNES games available on the VC. All can be purchased for under $8 in cart form if you either have a retail store that sells them, or you get lucky at a garage sale. Hit ebay and you will spend that much if not more for the game after shipping. That does not even count future VC releases like Super Mario RPG, etc.
Old 12-19-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The only downside to old SNES games is many of the carts have dead batteries so no saving games on those (unless you go to the trouble to replace it).
My son starting playing Earthbound the other day though and the cart still had my old save from 10 years ago so you never know.
Old 12-19-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't Rhino Games sell the SNES and games?
Old 12-19-06, 07:43 AM

I have a SNES system with Zelda : Link to the Past I wouldn't mind selling
Old 12-19-06, 08:07 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I want to buy my nephew a Super Nintendo. He had one when he was a little kid and use to play all the donkey kong games.
I'm curious, what donkey kong games are you talking about? AFAIK, they were released on the NES only. What is really frustrating is that the original DK is missing the conveyor belt level. I would think it would have been very easy to add the missing level before reissuing the game in VC form.
Old 12-19-06, 08:10 AM

he probably meant donkey kong country, which was out for the SNES
Old 12-19-06, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Yep, Donkey Kong Country, Diddy, etc.

Those of you who have a system for sale, send me a message and give me the details (what you have, condition, how much, etc.).
Old 12-19-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
We have a local store that sells those NES/SNES System hybrids (presumably they're emulators, but the only one I used ran well.) which may or may not do the trick, those should be easier to find.

Edit: http://www.1sourcegaming.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=726

I know most people are disagreeable with such devices, and having only used one a couple times am not really qualified.
Old 12-20-06, 08:22 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
The GBA versions are really well done if you can't track down the original.
Old 12-20-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hit up your local mom n pop video game store.

If you lack for one of those, Gamecrazy may still have SNES systems in stock - I just saw one for $40 at our local Gamecrazy.

Realistically you are best off going the ebay route and getting a console with some games.

Originally Posted by darkside
The only downside to old SNES games is many of the carts have dead batteries so no saving games on those (unless you go to the trouble to replace it).
My son starting playing Earthbound the other day though and the cart still had my old save from 10 years ago so you never know.
I've heard about batteries dying, but I've personally never encountered a dead battery yet. Offhand I have 2 gold Zelda cartridges, Dragon Warrior II-IV, FF1, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia...all of which have working batteries.

I think mainly NES cartridges are in danger of having dead batteries. I think SNES carts should be mostly OK.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 12-20-06 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Man, I could never sell my old systems. The SNES is actually the system that gets the most use in my house even today.
Old 12-21-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand the appeal of the old consoles. Is it some sorta nostaglia thing? Trying to relive moments of your wonderful idealized childhood? The games nowadays ARE better and are much more fair in terms of saving and playing.

I would offer up a SNES if I owned one. I've got Genesis and N64.
Old 12-21-06, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't understand the appeal of the old consoles. Is it some sorta nostaglia thing? Trying to relive moments of your wonderful idealized childhood? The games nowadays ARE better and are much more fair in terms of saving and playing.

I think we may remember the good games and forget the bad, but I would argue games like Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid being better than 90% of the games on the current gen consoles.
Old 12-21-06, 05:19 PM
Retired

Personally, I just love 2d games. I'd rather play the 2D marios, for instance, over any game that's come out on any system post NES/SNES.

I still like new games, the new zelda is one of the best games I've played. But I'm lucky if I play more than 1 or 2 games a year that I end up really loving these days, where as the numbert was more like 5-10 a year in the SNES/Genesis era.

Part of it is just that platfomers are my favorite genre and they didn't make the translation to 3D well as they went from tests of jumping skill to more exploration oriented games as 3d jumping is fucking frustrating as hell.
Old 12-21-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

I don't like all the crap I have to go through to throw a football in the new ones. My kids don't really do well with a lot of 3d games (yet), and some of the 2d platform and RPG beat the hell out of stuff today. But I also don't like watching 30 minutes of movie in the newer RPGs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.