Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only PS3 (and Wii) eBay madness thread!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The one and only PS3 (and Wii) eBay madness thread!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I was thinking about Ebaying a PS3 I MIGHT be getting this week, but now I may just hold onto it. Not sure how much I would really get. I hate the fact that fees would be well over $50 for both Ebay and PayPal....damn double dippers. I just had to pay $40 in fees for some DJ equipment I just sold (my first LARGER sell on EBAY).
Old 12-08-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did this buyer get ripped off:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3985&rd=1&rd=1

see if you can figure out why.
Old 12-08-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks

The only thing he is selling are the pictures of the PS3 and including a picture of his receipt.
Old 12-09-06, 10:15 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah well if he is only selling the pictures then he is a piece of crap. He says he wish he could keep the system but he needs the money for x-mas.
Old 12-09-06, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i don't see where he says he is only selling the pictures. I thought Ebay's policy was to show a receipt in the picture to prove you owned one. Sounds like he is selling his PS3
Old 12-09-06, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnamara/troy
After Reading All These Posts I Guess I lucked Out. I had gotten 6 Playstation 3's and Kept 1. I posted my 5 on ebay shortly after midnight launch for 2400 a piece and to my luck all 5 were bought within an hour.
any scammer problems yet?
Old 12-09-06, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok
Yeah well if he is only selling the pictures then he is a piece of crap. He says he wish he could keep the system but he needs the money for x-mas.
I agree. Parse that sentence carefully to what is actually being said. The IMPLICATION is that he will be parting with the system as a result of the auction, but he never ACTUALLY says it. (He COULD be simply selling it to a friend)

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i don't see where he says he is only selling the pictures. I thought Ebay's policy was to show a receipt in the picture to prove you owned one. Sounds like he is selling his PS3
Look at the '*' line above: I WILL ship out the same day payment has cleared!! Thanks for looking!!!

Look carefully at the auction title. Look carefully at his description. Nowhere does he say he is actually selling a PS3. The whole "picture of receipt" thing is the distraction to make it SEEM like it is legit.

Last edited by sracer; 12-09-06 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-09-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a friend that got scammed this way on some tools. Granted the buyer should be extra careful when reading the description, but it is still obvious the intent was to defraud by the seller. Unfortunately for that seller, my friend had a few friends of his own living in the same city and they collected the tools in person for him.
Old 12-09-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

PICTURED BELOW IS THE NEW SONY PLAYSTATION 3!!

The Sony PS3 is probably the hottest item up for grabs this Christmas season. This is the 60gig model and it has one controller. This PS3 also came with Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. I wish I could keep this awesome system but I’d rather have the money for Christmas time. The only reason it’s out of the box is for the pictures.

I have also included a picture of my receipt!
if you are really worried pay via paypal with a credit card and dispute the charge if you don't get a working PS3
Old 12-09-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you notice the "*pictures only" that is almost microscopic in the listing?
Old 12-09-06, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this guy isnt selling a real PS3, will Ebay ban him? I think they should.
Old 12-09-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
That is the pain of a buy-it-now. Sure, you can potentially get a quick auction in and paid quicker then a normal listing. But you take a chance on this happening.

I usually run a 3 or 5 day auction. Make mention in the terms that I ship only to a US address and mention it in my listing text. I mention that I ship only to the US, to a confirmed address through paypal and reserve the right to cancel bids of people with no feedback or excessive negative feedback.

I haven't had to many problems. But then again, I've never listed a high demand system like a 360, Wii or PS3.
i just make it so the auction cannot end unless payment is received, it's one of the checkboxes ("Immediate payment required"). Stops all this crap usually.
Old 12-09-06, 08:13 PM
Cool New Member

I won an auction for a PS3 on ebay. Before I go pay for it, I want peoples opinion on the listing. I know some people get scammed and only getting a box or a reciept. I just wanna make sure everythings cool. Let me know your opinions. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
Old 12-09-06, 08:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinbud62583
I won an auction for a PS3 on ebay. Before I go pay for it, I want peoples opinion on the listing. I know some people get scammed and only getting a box or a reciept. I just wanna make sure everythings cool. Let me know your opinions. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting
If the seller goes through with the sale he will be taking a loss. I couldn't make out the receipt numbers but assuming they paid sales tax (according to google Georgia has 4% so that is approx $20 on $500 plus ebay and paypal fees and they are in the hole for sure. Noticed the seller had zero feedback as well. Good luch if it works out because you got it for what it costs to walk into a store and buy shipped to your doorstep
Old 12-09-06, 08:58 PM
Suspended

The only thing that might save the seller is no listed shipping fee. Might ebay feel it is fee avoidance to see ps3 for $.99 and have $1200 shipping
Old 12-10-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

make sure you pay by CREDIT CARD via paypal. Not a debit card, but a real credit card
Old 12-10-06, 06:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by al_bundy
make sure you pay by CREDIT CARD via paypal. Not a debit card, but a real credit card
that seller didn't even make a profit.
wow.
Old 12-10-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by im_ryandick
that seller didn't even make a profit.
wow.
Because the seller has 0 feedback.
Old 12-10-06, 08:14 PM

Well, he has bid on 7 other PS3's and actually won 2 of them. It's hard to say if it's shady or not. Seems weird unless since he won 2, he is now trying to get rid of one of them. One had a Target receipt but the other didn't show a receipt but was available upon request.
Old 12-10-06, 08:56 PM

It sorta looks like he photoshopped his name on the sign, but then again it could just be poor compression. Zero (0) feedback is always risky on a big purchase. Notice the wording. He says "On purchase of the system, you will receive one free DVD" He doesn't explicitly say you will receive the PS3 in the auction. It could be a trick that if you purchase the system, you'll get the DVD instead. Afterall, he's taking a huge loss. But I might be too paranoid. Better ask him to tell you exactly what he will be shipping to you, the system AND movie? That way you'll know for sure.
Old 12-10-06, 11:19 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the help guys. Well he messaged me saying he cant sell the ps3 cuz he promised it to a friend. I let him know hes prob gonna lose about $25 just in ebay fees. I ended up scoring a diff 20 gb ps3 for $570 with shipping. Not too shabby. If you guys are lookin to get one for under 600, just have patience with ebay bids.
Old 12-10-06, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope you left negative feedback.
Old 12-11-06, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Well he messaged me saying he cant sell the ps3 cuz he promised it to a friend.
Translation: He's pissed that it closed at such a low price.
Old 12-11-06, 02:25 AM

ohhh that sucks. At least there's a little comfort knowing he has to pay the non-refundable listing fees and end of auction fees, but sucks that he ended up cutting out on you because it closed so low in price. It is against ebay policy to refuse to sell an item you won, but unfortunately they don't actually enforce that. I agree with chrisih8u.