Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What is attraction to stand and play videogames with Wii?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I play, I like to be relaxed and reclining on my bed. As much as the Wii intrigues me I don't understand why you would want to stand up and flail about, get hot and bothered to play all videogames on the system.

Please explain this attraction as I am really boggled by it.
Old 11-17-06, 08:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Who says you have to stand up to play it?

Seems like a console-bashing thread to me.
Old 11-17-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been said about a jillion times already but standing and flailing is an OPTION, not a requirement. Some games may be more enjoyable putting a little more energy into them such as Wario Ware.. the commercials only emphasize the interactivity because filming a fat dude in his tighty-whities relaxing on a couch playing a game isn't going to sell consoles.
Old 11-17-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You must be overweight, and lazy
Old 11-17-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
...because if you play the Wii reclining on a bed, the terrorists win.
Old 11-17-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
And how many games even require it? WiiSports may be awkward sitting. Other than that I can't think of a single game that can't be played sitting down.

I'd have to agree with Groucho's assumption.
Old 11-17-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
1) You don't have to stand
2) Even if you stand, you don't have to flail. You can only move your wrists if you want
3) If moving your arms gets you hot and bothered, you might need to get more exercise.
Old 11-17-06, 09:35 AM

not a bash in anyway shape or form. I love Nintendo and have supported only them in the console wars. Not to mention I was very looking forward to the Wii. It just seems that most of the "interactivity" and game developers developing their games around such devices may be fun for some, but I myself play games to relax so-to speak and not have to interact using too much physical exertion. I get enough exertion in my daily life. It realy seems like a turn off and I am sure it isn't just me.

Last edited by ShaunoftheDead; 11-17-06 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-17-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
It realy seems like a turn off and I am sure it isn't just me.
Sure, I can understand not being sure based on what it seems. Why don't you try it before you decide on it?

Some games, like Wii Sports, only make sense to play in a natural position for that game. Other games, like Zelda, won't benefit in any way from standing, so just chill and relax there.
Old 11-17-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sigh, it's amazing how many people have this attitude towards the Wii. 'BUT I DON'T WANNA STAND, I WANNA BE A LAZY MOTHERFUCKER!'

And we wonder why this country is filled with fat asses. Even if you HAD to stand, if standing for maybe an hour at a time bothers you, well, you got problems. I stand around 8 hours straight at work, and I stand all the time playing Guitar Hero, so it doesn't bother me.
Old 11-17-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
I stand all the time playing Guitar Hero, so it doesn't bother me.
Hey, that's a great point. Kudos (and I agree).
Old 11-17-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I stand to play Guitar Hero, also. Standing and rocking out with the songs is half the fun. If I have to stand up for a few Wii games, it's not going to bother me. I'm sure most I will be able to do sitting down. I've watched videos of the Gamespot guys playing Wii and they mostly played sitting down. I think you'll still be able to relax and play Wii games.
Old 11-17-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because it's fun?
Old 11-17-06, 11:41 AM

Is it the general assumption that playing with the wiimote is more akin to DDR or the NES power pad than a mouse? Hopefully the in-store demos will dispel these misgivings.
Old 11-17-06, 11:43 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

While the first post in this thread doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, there will be people that complain about extended usage of the Wii controller; even when sitting.

Totemball for the 360 was a pain in the ass to play for more than 20 to 30 minute bursts. I suspect there will be some titles on the Wii that developers overuse the Wii motion control and tire the hell out of the gamers. But games like Zelda, that only require slight wrist movement, should be able to be played hours on end.
Old 11-17-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Let's put it this way. Some of my favorite games include Dance Dance Revolution, Karaoke Revolution, Donkey Konga, and my son's Tiger Star Wars lightsaber game. While button mashing can be a pleasant diversion, it eventually just gets boring.

I actually enjoy the physical involvement of the games, and speaking as a parent, it sure is nice to see my kids move around when playing a game as compared to blankly staring at the screen. Esp. with Dance Dance Revolution, where they actually break a sweat while playing.
Old 11-17-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What is the attraction? Just read the following Wii reviews to find out!

Read - CNET (8 out of 10; Excellent)
Read - PC Mag (4 out of 5; Editor's Choice)
Read - Time (Recommended)
Read - CNN Money ("it's a heck of a lot of fun")
Old 11-17-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think parents in general will be thrilled that their kids have to move in some way, shape or form while playing videogames. Parents right now who don't know about video games will see their kid playing the Wii and moving around, then tell other parents. At least, that's my theory.
Old 11-17-06, 01:16 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Old 11-17-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I plan on looking like a fucking toolbox. Shit it's not like it's in public.
Old 11-17-06, 02:28 PM

The first game that comes to mind on the subject of painful to play for extended periods is an old NES Bigfoot game that my cousin rented. From what I recall you needed to quickly alternate L/R and A/B fast enough that it killed my thumbs after a few races.

As to the Wii, after a few races on a demo unit I did not feel strained but my expectation is to sitdown for most games with brief periods of standing during the more interesting party games.
Old 11-17-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree. I love video games but they certainly are geared for the lazy. All of us here could go outside and play recreational sports but we don't, we sit on our asses and play videogames. And now with the Wii coming out, some of us will actually claim to get some exercise from it. No that is not the case. It is still a video game first and foremost. I have to agree with the OP, if I wanted to stand up and play I'd call up my friends and we'd organize a basketball game. When I'm in the video game mindset I'm set to be sitting down. Now I've never played the Wii so I don't know how the controls work but if I did, I'd certainly be sitting down. Trust me Nintendo, I don't need a video game system to get me to work out.
Old 11-17-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's the real reason: FUN
Old 11-17-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't need a video game system to get me to work out.
But that's hardly their intention. Some people seem to focus on this idea of Wii Sports and flailing about, but forget the range this control scheme could allow. To me, the reason I am getting a Wii, is immersion. I hope to someday feel like I am swinging a lightsaber, flicking a magic wand, aiming a gun with accuracy, controlling a tool or other device, etc. None of this would requrie more movement than I would feel is relaxing and I certainly don't think the Wii will take place of my exercise.

Best Buy had a nice pomo DVD sitting out. It shows people up and playing for Wii Sports but sitting for a lot of other games. Certainly their movements were still exaggerated, but nothing looked like it would tire me or not be relaxing still.

But, with some party games, sports, etc., I think flailing about will be fun. When my friends and I play 360 together, we are already moving a lot, trash talking, joking, etc. Taking that level of excitement we already have and putting it into movement for a game seems like it would work well and add a whole new dimension to the fun (no need to trash talk, but bump the person!).

I emember having lots of fun with movement-based arcade games befoe DDR, such as a skiiing game or some such. I never left the game tired but felt more immersed in the game.
Old 11-17-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the internet. No, I really, really do. There's like, what, a dozen posts at the front of the thread describing that manic movements ARE NOT REQUIRED and there are STILL people posting under those about how they are unable to or unwilling to keep up with the supposed excessive motion needed to play the games.

It's a great source of comedy, I tell you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.