Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Halo 3 public beta coming Spring 2007, trailer in December, and new DLC for Halo 2

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo 3 public beta coming Spring 2007, trailer in December, and new DLC for Halo 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/746/746139p1.html

November 15, 2006 - Next spring you will play Halo 3. To celebrate the fifth anniversary of Halo, Microsoft and Bungie announced a trio of upcoming releases, which includes a public multiplayer beta test for Halo 3 in 2007. There is a god and his name is Master Chief.

Halo 3 Multiplayer Beta
Bungie tested Halo 2 with a much ballyhooed Microsoft internal beta program. Many of the suggestions for tweaks and adjustments to Halo 2 multiplayer came from more than a thousand MS employees trying out Halo 2 on a set of private servers. For Halo 3, Bungie is expanding its testing circle significantly. Next spring, Bungie opens the Halo 3 multiplayer beta to Xbox 360 gamers, allowing fans to try out an unspecified number of maps and game modes and to help Bungie make the strongest online game possible.

"The Halo Nation has a nearly insatiable desire," said Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of global marketing for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft Corp. "We hope a taste of advance Halo 3 gameplay satisfies some of their appetite as we count down to the game's launch later in 2007."

The release of a spring beta all but guarantees that Halo 3 will come out next fall and, more than likely, in time for the six-year anniversary of the franchise.

Halo 2 Maps for 360
Also in the spring, Bungie is preparing to offer all new maps for Halo 2. Available only on Xbox 360 through the Live Marketplace, it is unknown if the new content will be free or at a premium. No details were given as to the number of maps or if any other goodies surprises would be included with the downlad. With more than four billion online matches played since Halo 2's November 2004 release, it remains the most popular online Xbox game released to date.

"Since its original release, Halo 2 has redefined online play, delivering superior multiplayer capabilities in addition to an incredible social experience, and nurturing a constantly growing community through Xbox Live," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios. "After five years of rabid fan interest in the Halo franchise and with more than four million users and counting on Xbox Live worldwide, this is the perfect time to invite fans to join the global Halo phenomenon."

The new map pack is conveniently being released in the same time frame as the Halo 3 beta test, which could mean there is a connection with the new content and the upcoming game.

Halo 3 Teaser Ad in December
On December 4, during ESPN's Monday Night Football game featuring the Panthers against the Eagles, a one-time showing of a new 60-second Halo 3 teaser will be aired. Handled by the McCann Erickson advertising agency (creators of your Nestle Crunch craving), the trailer provides a "unique compelling look at Master Chief and the world of Halo 3." The trailer is also scheduled for release on the Xbox Live Marketplace following its Monday Night debut.

Wait, What's Halo 3 Again?
The final chapter in the Halo videogame trilogy, Halo 3 settles the score between the Covenant, the Flood and the human race. Yes, this game will have an ending (we think). Halo 3 also features enhanced A.I., a new real-time lighting engine, new weapons and characters as well as expanded online community features.

Last edited by tenaciousdave; 11-15-06 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-15-06, 05:05 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess this is the big announcement for Halo ?
Old 11-15-06, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It'd be cool if you could play as the flood in this last installment. And where is the Halo Wars news?
Old 11-15-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
That's it? So to sum up the "Big" 5 year Anniversary Announcement:

1. A commercial
2. New maps for a 3 year old game
3. A demo in 6 months

Wow. That's really going to detract from the PS3 release.
Old 11-15-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow. That's really going to detract from the PS3 release.
I agree. It will not reduce the dozens of PS3s arriving in gamer's homes this week.

I do think it's going to get Xbox Halo junkies to start thinking 360. I find it very strange that only Xbox 360 owners on Live get this content. A bit unfair if you ask me. Should be for Xbox owners on Live as well.
Old 11-15-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bus
I agree. It will not reduce the dozens of PS3s arriving in gamer's homes this week.
Yes but you would think they would have a one two punch this month swaying those on the fence towards the 360. Gears being the first punch, then some incredible Halo content to show what is coming as the second punch. Especially put up against Resistance.
Old 11-15-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
This is actually pretty cool news. Just when you think it's Halo2 was done, they add new content.
Old 11-16-06, 08:44 AM

Too little, too late.
I don't have a 360, but play H2 on the Xbox all the time. so the new map for 360 only pisses me off. Hopefully they sort out their hardware issues by that time so I can buy one.
Old 11-16-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Halo 3 could've come out this week and PS3 fanatics still wouldn't budge. I think this is more of a "friendly reminder" that just happens to be right before PS3 with a slight tease at PS3 owners. I say heck with the maps and all and work on a way to reel in those you ruined and destroyed the online playing experience with cheats and childess behavior (putting it mildly).

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 11-17-06, 08:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by mmconhea
Too little, too late.
I don't have a 360, but play H2 on the Xbox all the time. so the new map for 360 only pisses me off. Hopefully they sort out their hardware issues by that time so I can buy one.
Is Costco an option for you? No hardware issues or pricedrop issues w/ their long return policy.

But after getting a 360 and GOW, you'll never play Halo again.
Old 11-20-06, 09:58 AM

I wish, but in NY we have no costcos
I wonder if I can get the same return policy online.
I'm hoping GOW will be a cure for my Halo additiction. I'm really struggling to not buy a 360 until they revise their hardware.
Old 11-20-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, new maps....that is interesting. What about the rumor about having Halo (original) as a LIVE Arcade game that has online multiplayer?
Old 11-20-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
There are Costos in NJ if the drive isn't too long for you.
Old 11-20-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mmconhea
Too little, too late.
Well, log on to Amazon Thanksgiving Day....and hopefully have GOOD LUCK with it
Old 11-22-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some new high rez screen shots got posted and I must say if you like "eye candy" be prepared to eat it up cause these are ssswwweeetttt!!

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 11-22-06, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some new high rez screen shots got posted and I must say if you like "eye candy" be prepared to eat it up cause these are ssswwweeetttt!!

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12307/...-3-Screenshots

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 11-22-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read in a video game magazine that Halo 3 is gonna be the first demo that Microsoft charges money for. Rip-off.
Old 11-23-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's because it is a "beta" and want feedback. Personally I think they should be paying me for doing someone else's job. There are just way too many sheep out there and will do anything to get their mitts on Halo stuff early.
Old 11-30-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Halo 3 Beta Details

Plus a new screenshot from the upcoming trailer.

The quest to enter the Halo 3 public beta begins next Monday. The previously announced Halo 3 Beta will, in fact, be available to every eager Xbox 360 gamer when it launches in spring 2007. In a press release teasing the December 4 Halo 3 trailer, Microsoft revealed that gamers will "register for the opportunity to be one of the select members" of the public beta. There will be other ways to enter the beta, which will be revealed soon. In essence, if you want to play the Halo 3 beta (and who doesn't), you will have multiple opportunities.

On December 4, the millions of hopefuls in North America and Europe can go to halo3.com to sign up for the beta. You thought the Internet hit a crawl as consumers tried frantically to purchase a PS3? This could be worse. If you don't get it, again, don't fret. There will be other ways to get in on the beta, which we'll learn about before the spring '07 launch.

The 60-second trailer airs in North America during ESPN's Monday Night Football on December 4. The trailer, which will be available online and on the Xbox Live Marketplace following its television debut, features live action and CG footage. It promises to offer "telling new hints" about the upcoming first-person shooter.

"Halo is a pop culture phenomenon! The Halo franchise has changed the face of interactive entertainment and it's only fitting that we take an innovative approach to how we market and advertise the brand," said Jeff Bell, corporate vice president of global marketing for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft Corp. "This invites a new audience with a rich back story, and continues to galvanize gamers around the world for the launch of Halo 3 in 2007."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/748/748270p1.html
This is one frame from the 60-second trailer. If you blink really fast, it almost appears to be in motion. Enjoy the torturous wait for Monday and good luck in your endeavors to join the beta.
Old 11-30-06, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
That's because it is a "beta" and want feedback. Personally I think they should be paying me for doing someone else's job. There are just way too many sheep out there and will do anything to get their mitts on Halo stuff early.
I don't know, i don't have a problem with companies having public betas and think its a good idea. Thousands of people will always catch more bugs then hundreds. And getting to brag to friends that you've played something before them ain't too shabby either.

Of course charging for it.... that i'm not a big fan of.
Old 11-30-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's so vague...when exactly on December 4 do people begin signing up?
Old 12-03-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget about the 60 second trailer on Monday Night Football (yes it's Dec. 4th).

Kenny J. - Buzz
Old 12-04-06, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
That's so vague...when exactly on December 4 do people begin signing up?
Don't know- still camping the site. It says 12/4/06 on it still. Probably will go up after the commerical or just before this evening.

edit - rumor on kotaku poinmts to this url as the reg page
https://reg.msgamestudios.com/defaul...te=Halo3Teaser

Last edited by squidget; 12-04-06 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-04-06, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by squidget
Don't know- still camping the site. It says 12/4/06 on it still. Probably will go up after the commerical or just before this evening.

edit - rumor on kotaku poinmts to this url as the reg page
https://reg.msgamestudios.com/defaul...te=Halo3Teaser
I believe it's up now.
Old 12-04-06, 04:52 PM
Mok

I just signed up, some people are saying not to because you may be banned since it wasn't official posted by Bungie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.