Official Wii Thread Part 5 - The Days of Swine and Roses

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread Part 5 - The Days of Swine and Roses

Old 11-12-06, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 893 Likes on 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It says that over on post #14 too.
And I'll state it again for prosperity, it is easy to dismiss the review entirely since the reviewers come off as people that aren't fans of the franchise to begin with. If they hate the first two why would they review the third?
Old 11-12-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And I'll state it again for prosperity posterity, it is easy to dismiss the review entirely since the reviewers come off as people that aren't fans of the franchise to begin with. If they hate the first two why would they review the third?
fixed. ...and in fixing it, implicitly stating it a 3rd time. (because I agree)
Old 11-12-06, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Pre-ordered my Wii today at TRU. I got there at 5:45AM. One family was in front of me. They started camping at 11PM last night. There were 20 units to be had today. They did 20 last week also. The store opened at 10AM, and if you had shown up by 9AM you could have had one. Not the crowd I expected. By 9:45AM there were ~35 people there. Needless to say I am relived, and excited.
Old 11-12-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, Corvin, got some time to kill this week to make a full Wii Sports box? Better than pacing in front of Gamestop. I haven't seen any activity on http://www.thecoverproject.net/ yet for this.

Here's a "template" that sort of looks close.
Old 11-12-06, 01:40 PM

Received 732 Likes on 481 Posts
One wiik left to go... !
Old 11-12-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isn't it strange that the this is being released on a Sunday?
Old 11-12-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to a TRU before it opened, but I didn't hang around to pre-order. I only stopped by since I was in the area, and thought I'd check it out. The store is about 30 minutes away from me and I don't want to go that far on release day. I'd rather get to the WalMart that's about 8 minutes away from me a few hours early and get one there. Not only is it closer, but TRU isn't going to open at midnight to let people pick their system up, and WalMart will let you have them at 12am sharp.

There was a woman in her 40's at the TRU I went to, but I have no idea if she was there for the Wii, and then a guy about my age who I'm pretty sure was there for the Wii. I was there around 30 minutes before opening at the latest (it opened at 1:30), so it didn't look to have a line there. I'm pretty sure I could drive right back and pre-order there if I wanted to. I know that the store in Greenville had one pre-order left for anyone as late as two hours after they opened.
Old 11-12-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
isn't it strange that the this is being released on a Sunday?
Not for Nintendo; all their hardware launches on Sundays.
Old 11-12-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was at Best Buy this weekend, they have the official countdown display in the Wii section, counting down. Hype is starting to build! Less than a week
Old 11-12-06, 04:45 PM

I'm going to try to pick this up on launch. Is there a store that has a better deal? Meaning a bundle with a game/games?
Old 11-12-06, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
"I'd rather get to the WalMart that's about 8 minutes away from me a few hours early and get one there. Not only is it closer, but TRU isn't going to open at midnight to let people pick their system up, and WalMart will let you have them at 12am sharp."

The issue I had with Walmart is it's a lottery system (at the one's near me anyway). In otherwords you wait in line, get handed a number, and if your number comes up you get one. If it doesn't -even if you were 1st in line- you go home empty.
Old 11-12-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts
Wii walkthrough and set up video.
Old 11-12-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by parrotheads4
"I'd rather get to the WalMart that's about 8 minutes away from me a few hours early and get one there. Not only is it closer, but TRU isn't going to open at midnight to let people pick their system up, and WalMart will let you have them at 12am sharp."

The issue I had with Walmart is it's a lottery system (at the one's near me anyway). In otherwords you wait in line, get handed a number, and if your number comes up you get one. If it doesn't -even if you were 1st in line- you go home empty.
That's a more civilized way to handle the launch, though it doesn't generate the type of drama that camping creates.
Old 11-12-06, 09:25 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1 Week out and I'm really not excited anymore. I don't know when I'll really have time to sit down and play it as I'm so far behind on work/school after being out of town a week for a conference and having family visit the past few days.

If I had paid for it with cash rather than store credit I'd probably just cancel my preorder and pick one up when I'm not so swamped, but since it's costing me nothing out of pocket, I'll pick it up and play it when I get a chance.

I suppose Wiisports will be good to pick up and play in 15-30 minute bursts when I need a break if nothing else.

Zelda will have to wait until at least late December/January when I've gotten caught up and had time to finish off Okami as well.
Old 11-12-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Less than one week out and I am PUMPED. I think this might be the most excited I have ever been for a video game system. My new Sanyo Z5 projector will be in Wednesday along with the Oppo 971, so everything will be calibrated and ready to rock for the Wii Saturday night at midnight.

As for the dudes that were having problems hooking up the Wii to their projector... why would the Wii be next to the projector? I assume if they have one that they're using a receiver to handle all a/v switching, so they should just use the component switching on that with one long component cable to the projector. Seems as if they need to re-think the setup. 138" is more than enough length for the sensor bar for me.

Damn I can't wait to play some Zelda on the Wii... 6 more days... 6 more days...
Old 11-12-06, 11:19 PM

Received 732 Likes on 481 Posts
I've convinced myself to wait until Spring Break to buy my Wii.

Y'all have fun with yours.

My DS will be seeing alot of action in the meantime.
Old 11-13-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Can't believe it's only a week away. I may be bringing this down to Thanksgiving to have the extended family have a crack at it.
Old 11-13-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by The Bus
Can't believe it's only a week away. I may be bringing this down to Thanksgiving to have the extended family have a crack at it.
A week? My desktop countdown reads 5 days, 14 hours.
Old 11-13-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, since deciding that if I got any "next-gen" system It would likely be the Wii (still HATE the name)looks like I made the right choice. Got to play with a demo unit at EB Games Saturday. They only had Excite Truck to play with, but it was a pretty good way to get a real idea of how gameplay will feel.

Demo Kiosk is similar to the 360 setup, widescreen LCD monitor, Wii encased inside. No controllers hanging fromt he kiosk though. Had to give the my DL to get on of the controllers.

I forgot you had to hold the controller sideways for the first minute or two (DOH!!!!). Once I got the control down, it was pretty f'n fun. Control was spot on (my big fear about the whole Wii-mote). Graphics=blah, but it was just plain fun.

I've got 3 Wal-Marts, a Best Buy and a Circuit City within 15 minutes of my house...I'm pretty sure I'll be able to swing one on launch day!!
Old 11-13-06, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty good deal on 1GB SD card: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=368182

$30 - $10 Google Checkout = $20 shipped - $15 MIR = $5.
Old 11-13-06, 12:11 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up the one-cent Wii trailer DVD at Target last night. I plan on using the white keepcase to house WiiSports once there's a custom cover for it (unless I just do one myself). Of course, assuming I actually get a system on Sunday.
Old 11-13-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DRG
I picked up the one-cent Wii trailer DVD at Target last night. I plan on using the white keepcase to house WiiSports once there's a custom cover for it (unless I just do one myself). Of course, assuming I actually get a system on Sunday.
Ditto I asked someone here earlier if they'd have time to make a cover for Wii Sports, but so far no response. I'd take this opportunity to talk a bunch of shit about said person as he'd probably not read it anyway, but I'm a bigger person than that
Old 11-13-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I might knock a cover out for it. Just depends on free time.
Old 11-13-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I might knock a cover out for it. Just depends on free time.
Awesome. Do you think you can make a custom cover for each of us with our respective Miis featured on the covers?
Old 11-13-06, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hadn't thought of that. That sounds pretty funny. Put up your Mii & a mini profile like a baseball card on the back. That even makes it sound more fun for me to do and definitely makes me more interested in making one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.