Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official XBox Live Gaming Schedule Pt. III

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the invites to GoW, but I was going through the Hardcore campaign with a friend of mine. I'm trying to help him beat it before he returns it to Blockbuster. Keep the invites coming though.
Old 11-14-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eatntae
Thanks for the invites to GoW, but I was going through the Hardcore campaign with a friend of mine. I'm trying to help him beat it before he returns it to Blockbuster. Keep the invites coming though.
Will do. Or we can always just keep on doing those 3:00-4:00 am matches.
Old 11-14-06, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Will do. Or we can always just keep on doing those 3:00-4:00 am matches.
On weekends, sure. Only problem is, we always seem to have unbalanced teams when we play that late.
Old 11-14-06, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by eatntae
On weekends, sure. Only problem is, we always seem to have unbalanced teams when we play that late.
'Tis true. But a big part of the problem was that I sucked when I played with you because I was still getting used to the game. So that really unbalanced the teams. However I've gotten much better now and can pull my own weight.
Old 11-14-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Which is weird, b/c some of the other guys could hear me on the other team in the menu.

yeah I don't think I ever heard you during the matches.

BTW, it was fun finally hooking up with you and the rest on GOW.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-14-06 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-14-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
IMO, COD3 is just missing elements that I enjoyed from COD2 like:
Lobbies
The sniper rifle that worth it
Kill-CAM
Tons of grenades that you could pick up from dead folk
Grenade parties
grenades that will actually bounce.

It looks like we may need both COD2 and COD3 nights.
Old 11-14-06, 10:28 AM

theres a problem in GoW, with the mics and joining mid match.

If you can't hear all the parties in the room, you just have to create a new room and invite them all.
Old 11-14-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not so sure you will have much company on that goLucky. I know i have no desire to play CoD2 after playing 3. The tiny parties would be enough to keep me away even though i miss the kill-cam. The sniper just takes a little getting used to - i was tearing it up some last night with the thing for the first time.
Old 11-14-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I'm not so sure you will have much company on that goLucky. I know i have no desire to play CoD2 after playing 3. The tiny parties would be enough to keep me away even though i miss the kill-cam. The sniper just takes a little getting used to - i was tearing it up some last night with the thing for the first time.
I know he'll have me. I hate COD3 and I'm planning on dumping it for GEARS and then picking it back up when it's cheap just to play the single player.

Like lucky said.. I can't stand:

* Playing CTF every freaking game blows donkey
* Grenades suck. You only start with one and you can't pick up dead peoples
* You have to wait like 30 seconds to pick up dead people's weapons
* No lobby
* Maps are SO big that if you just want to play DM and only have around 8 you have to walk around for 5 minutes to find someone.
* No killcam
* Sniper rifle blows

They should have called COD3 BF3 instead.. It's basically Battlefied and not COD..

And small parties?? Don't you love playing gears? (max 8 people)
Old 11-14-06, 10:42 AM

Agreed: I'll be playing COD2 too and I don't care how small the group will be (which is why I love playing Gears of War).
Old 11-14-06, 10:56 AM

I picked up GOW, so ready to play online whenever everyone is on. Just send me an invite.
Old 11-14-06, 10:58 AM

thats the entire reason I purchased CoD3, to be frank. I wanted something like battlefield 2 for the computer, and battlefield 2 for the 360 stank
Old 11-14-06, 12:27 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by tbird2340
I know he'll have me. I hate COD3 and I'm planning on dumping it for GEARS and then picking it back up when it's cheap just to play the single player.

Like lucky said.. I can't stand:

* Playing CTF every freaking game blows donkey
* Grenades suck. You only start with one and you can't pick up dead peoples
* You have to wait like 30 seconds to pick up dead people's weapons
* No lobby
* Maps are SO big that if you just want to play DM and only have around 8 you have to walk around for 5 minutes to find someone.
* No killcam
* Sniper rifle blows

They should have called COD3 BF3 instead.. It's basically Battlefied and not COD..

And small parties?? Don't you love playing gears? (max 8 people)

See, those are some of the reasons I will only play COD3.

In COD2, it was always a game of DM that was a snoozer, camping sniper fest.

No matter what map or weapons you may have to pick from, everyone always picked the sniper rifle and the game was extremely boring.

I could of swore that the nights I played COD3 I walked over dead peoples bodies and I had more grenades. Or am I confusing that with Single player?

The killcam was a neat novelty item. But was it really anything significant in the game? Sure, it showed you where you were shot from. But, do you think when you respawn, the person is going to be still sitting there for you to kill them? They'd have already moved and you'd have to find them again before they find you. That is the same way it is in COD3.

The lobby I can forgive. The system in place keeps the games moving as long as people are ready to play them. You can invite people in mid game. And during the games, while you are looking at the stats, the game is counting down to starting. If the host has voting turned on, you can influence the next gametype and/or map.

Everygame hasn't been CTF, at least the nights I've played. It seems to have been mixed up between CTF, Bases/Territories, and DM. Granted most games have been team based so that you can use the classes special ability. But there have been some free-for-all DM games.

This game lends itself very well to playing in a team and trying to come up with strategy. Which is all the appeal for me.
Old 11-14-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
In COD2, it was always a game of DM that was a snoozer, camping sniper fest.

No matter what map or weapons you may have to pick from, everyone always picked the sniper rifle and the game was extremely boring.
Well different strokes for different folks I guess.. That snoozing camping sniper fest kept about 12 of us busy for 6 months straight.
Old 11-14-06, 12:55 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

True enough. I won't deny that it was a popular game.

It just was not for me.

Now COD3 is a ton of fun and I honestly can see it filling the void at this point until Halo 3 comes out.

The game plays more to the style I like in that there are ample opportunities for teamwork.

Hopefully people keep playing it because I am liking the games nights that have been COD3 so far.
Old 11-14-06, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Well different strokes for different folks I guess.. That snoozing camping sniper fest kept about 12 of us busy for 6 months straight.
I've played as the sniper and I had to move otherwise: people would come after me (thank you very much killcam), or my killing count would remain low.

Vryce, maybe you didn't play with the COD2 regulars? Because I remember getting killed by shotguns, machine guns (Prime) and goLucky's all time favorite "grenade party".

I like COD3 as well, but to be honest, all I've played since I got it on Thursday have been CTF and teams. It was not until yesterday when we started playing DMs as well.
Old 11-14-06, 12:57 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I played with the regulars in the beginning when COD2 was new. I grew tired of all the sniping and camping. And it seemed that 9 games out of 10 were always a free-for-all and those bore me to death. I stopped playing shortly thereafter and never went back to it.
Old 11-14-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not as much a fan of the free-for-all DMs in CoD3 due to not being able to use the class specific abilities. I also strongly dislike the games the other night where there was no respawn timer. It made medics not very useful and made CTF/HQ style games even harder since the opposing team respawned immediately.
Old 11-14-06, 01:18 PM

Well in all fairness when COD2 was new it sucked ass. With the Patch however the game became absolute greatness and the regulars (about 12 of us) couldn't get enough and basically played every night not just on the designated ones, hell we even picked up a couple people just as we were rolling into COD3's launch.

When we first started playing COD2 regularly there was a huge number of people using snipers only but as we all got better we learned that using the sniper all the time wasn't the way to win. My personal favorite weapon is the trenchgun in COD2 as most of you know. Which is the polar opposite to the sniper rifle.

Awesome things in COD2:

Kill Cam
Grenades
Great weapon balance (purely opinion)
communication/lobby system
Breaking GoLucky's head open with the butt of my gun

Things that suck in COD2

Only room for 8

This isn't to say that I don't like COD3 cause I think it's an awesome game. But what is truly missing in COD3 is that loss in communication. Sure you can talk to your teammates during an objective based game but there is no way to sit and shoot the shit with everyone for a few minutes between games after which you would be randomly placed in teams or we would play a FFA gametype and everyone would be able to talk to each other. I guess what I'm saying is that COD3 seems to be a bit more of a cold experience and not nearly as personal. Everything else I can deal with but I'll definitely need to keep COD2 in the rotation as I loved playing that game.
Old 11-14-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here here... Now that's the Martin I know and love.. The one that used to run this thread!!
Old 11-14-06, 01:49 PM

well one thing we seem to all be able to agree on is that GOW is a blast. So that requires a day. Even the guys who find COD3 to be inferior for the most part still think it's a great game so that deserves a day. COD2 is still quite relavent per the last several posts so it deserves a day as well.

We can argue which is the better game till we're blue in the face but the fact is that we have plenty of good titles to play and with the duplicate days designated for the same games I'd say we have plenty of space for each so long as no one is twisting anyone's arm saying "no you can't play COD2" I should think we'd be able to find a suitable time for each title.

Add in Rainbow Six Vegas, FEAR, Viva Pinata and whatever else is coming down the pike and there should be something for everyone.
Old 11-14-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are many excited for RS6? With CoD3 and Gears i just can't bring myself to be excited for yet another shooter right now.
Old 11-14-06, 02:17 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Too bad Viva Pinata isn't a multiplayer game in the way that Animal Crossing DS was. I've read that you can interact with other people by sending packages and such. But you can't actually visit any one elses garden.

That was the one hope I had for the game was that it would be similar to ACS
Old 11-14-06, 03:20 PM

I also miss COD2 and can't wait to go back to it. COD3 is just meh imo. I don't hate it, but it just feels like Battlefield 2.5.

And I'm also not too crazy about all the CTF type of games either. I find myself getting bored really fast due to the repetitivness. The only time I've enjoyed myself in COD3 is with the deathmatch/team deatmatch games. And to be fair I've seen loads of people "camping" in COD3, proably more so then in any of the COD2 games I've ever played. And when people do camp in COD2, the kill cam gives them away and everyone goes after them. So its not that big of a deal.

However GOW is amazing. I will never tire of that game.

Edit: Oh and I'm excited for Rainbow 6 because of the co-op.

Last edited by Eric D.; 11-14-06 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-14-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will admit to tiring of the CTF style games and prefer the team DM ones. As long as there is a decent respawn time i'm happy especially on that map with all the tanks.

I have seen a good deal more camping in 3 versus 2 due to the lack of a kill cam. Karma kills also don't play as large a role in this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.