Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
PLEASE tell me they improved the hammer-ons/pull-offs in this game
They've both been greatly improved.

And the practice mode is a life saver!
Old 11-08-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Seriously, I would've been happier with that track if it was an instrumental. I think the vocals for Lamb of God's "Laid To Rest" are probably some of the worst, completely butchered. I was playing that song and doing fantastic right until the vocals started, and caused me to miss like 80% of the next 20 seconds worth of notes just because I was so thrown off by it.
Yeah no joke, they tried to soften it up a bit and failed miserably. Still one of favorite levels though (it's just fun to play).
Old 11-08-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i played this at Best Buy today... never once played the first one, so first time ever trying out the controller...

gotta say, it was extremely addicting. might be picking this up eventually...

-NiCK
Old 11-08-06, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
i played this at Best Buy today... never once played the first one, so first time ever trying out the controller...

gotta say, it was extremely addicting. might be picking this up eventually...

-NiCK
You don't know the half of it.

Once you start nailing the hard parts on the higher difficulties, it gets damn satisfying. If you liked playing around with it for a few minutes, you're going to LOVE the full experience.
Old 11-08-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah no joke, they tried to soften it up a bit and failed miserably. Still one of favorite levels though (it's just fun to play).
Yeah, true, it is a damn fun song. Hopefully they get some better vocalists for the inevitable "Metal Hero".
Old 11-08-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Starting on Hard is good for people who already play guitar, like me. Otherwise it's way too easy.

Only played the initial songs on quick mode so far, but it seems to me they could have done a much better job on those Danzig vocals. Hell, I could have done a better job myself
Old 11-09-06, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any good Deals out for the 1st one?
Old 11-09-06, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by xVladx
You don't know the half of it.

Once you start nailing the hard parts on the higher difficulties, it gets damn satisfying. If you liked playing around with it for a few minutes, you're going to LOVE the full experience.
thats good to hear. i pretty much mastered Carry On My Wayward Son on standard... it was was, as you said, very satisfying. i can only imagine how the expert levels must be.

Especially since i dont know the first thing about playing a real guitar... it felt good haha.

-NiCK
Old 11-10-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man I really wish I didn't have to play thru songs that suck so hard.

This Wolfmother crap is annoying me to the point of throwing the game down

Still a great game tho.
Old 11-10-06, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
just killed this thing on expert today...that suicidal tendencies song was rough!...now I've got to go backwards and win everything else/...great game!!!...
Old 11-10-06, 08:20 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I finished it on Medium last night.

Loved the Encores in each grouping of songs.

That Suicidal Tendencies song was difficult as was YYZ.

Was cool to unlock Freebird as the last song and the message screens asking if you really want to do so.

That song was very deceptive

Sure, it starts of fairly easy. But towards the end, I found my fingers flying all over the place. And that was just medium.

I have a lot of practice if I want to complete Hard and even think of attempting Expert.

I passed all songs on Easy with 5 stars. Most songs on Medium I got 4 stars, a few 5 stars and a handful of 3 stars.

Does it matter how many stars you get in whether you are successful in beating the song or not? I mean, does it consider a song beaten if you get to the end, even if you get 1 star, and consider it failed if you don't get to the end?
Old 11-10-06, 08:49 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I don't believe so. I think completed is just getting to the end. And I've never completely beaten a song and gotten less than 3 stars.

Stars just get you more money and self-gratification.
Old 11-10-06, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
And unlockables - wasn't that part of the first game? I never got all 5 stars in any bracket but I remember reading that unlocked certain guitars or something.
Old 11-10-06, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
And unlockables - wasn't that part of the first game? I never got all 5 stars in any bracket but I remember reading that unlocked certain guitars or something.
Nope. The only thing that got unlocked directly from doing something in-game (other than just new regular songs) was the guitar you got for completing the 30 regular songs on Expert. The only thing you got for more stars was more money.
Old 11-10-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
Does it matter how many stars you get in whether you are successful in beating the song or not? I mean, does it consider a song beaten if you get to the end, even if you get 1 star, and consider it failed if you don't get to the end?
You can't complete a song with less than 3 stars, so you'll have 3,4 & 5 on everything.

As far as new unlockables, there is a guitar that gets unlocked in the shop for beating all regular songs on any given difficulty, and then also 5-starring all songs on any given difficulty.

If it weren't for these, I probably would never go back to anything lower than Expert. With the addition of practice mode, there's not any reason for me to go to Hard just to learn the timing of the song.

Practice mode rocks!
Old 11-10-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
As far as new unlockables, there is a guitar that gets unlocked in the shop for beating all regular songs on any given difficulty, and then also 5-starring all songs on any given difficulty.
That must be what I was thinking of.
Old 11-10-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just finished getting 5 stars on all the medium songs last night. I got 5 stars on about half the songs on expert in GH1, but I still like starting at easy and working my way up getting 5 stars on everything. I loved the like 5 pages asking me if I really wanted to play Freebird. I went and unlocked all the bonus songs, and I'll work, but I'll work on them later. The only one I've played is Trogdor. Gonna start on hard tonight.

I played co-op with my friends the other night, and that was a blast. I played most things on expert, while they stayed on medium and did pretty good. We didn't get booed off stage. I'm so glad we can each choose our own difficulty now. They never play any harder than medium, while I'll end up playing everything on expert.

Anyone else notice any slowdown when playing in the Rat Celler? I've noticed some slow down on that venue a couple times. I have the game set for progressive widescreen. Don't know if that matters. It hasn't messed me up, but it's kind of weird.
Old 11-10-06, 10:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone else waiting for the 360 version? I'm hearing that the guitar will have a port on it for other accessories, such as a foot pedal.
Old 11-10-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Anyone else waiting for the 360 version? I'm hearing that the guitar will have a port on it for other accessories, such as a foot pedal.
Definately didn't wait on GH2, but I did purchase a 360 last month, solely for GH2 with downloadable content

However, since picking up the 360, I've found quite a few other enjoyable games and am happy with the purchase.
Old 11-10-06, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet

I never bought the first game, though. It'd be much harder to hold off on this one if I already had the first one.

And a foot pedal would be crazy fun--hope that's true.
Old 11-10-06, 11:46 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Hmmm.. I may have progressed as far as I can. Though I'll still keep playing to practice.

I tried the first song on Hard, Shout at the Devil. I failed 1/3 of the way into the song.

So, I went into practice I was hitting about 40% of the notes on slow. 60% on slower and 75% on slowest.

I'm good with Green Red and Yellow. I was even fine with adding Blue as there wasn't too many times when my fingers lost where they were supposed to be.

But with the orange, I constantly found myself strumming a note when I should have, it was just my finger was on the wrong color.
Old 11-10-06, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Hmmm.. I may have progressed as far as I can. Though I'll still keep playing to practice.

I tried the first song on Hard, Shout at the Devil. I failed 1/3 of the way into the song.

So, I went into practice I was hitting about 40% of the notes on slow. 60% on slower and 75% on slowest.

I'm good with Green Red and Yellow. I was even fine with adding Blue as there wasn't too many times when my fingers lost where they were supposed to be.

But with the orange, I constantly found myself strumming a note when I should have, it was just my finger was on the wrong color.
Stick with it... the addition of Orange notes is easily the toughest difficulty hump to get over in the game. I had the exact same problem as you when I first started playing Hard on GH1. I'd reach to hit an Orange note and then my fingers would just get all sorts of confused and I would screw up the next whole section.

The problem I had was that after playing on Medium, I had associated the notes with specific fingers, not buttons. So whenever I saw a yellow note, I would think "oh, that's the note I have to hit with my ring finger", but obviously, that doesn't work when you shift your hand to hit orange notes.

After getting over the initial shock, it just boiled down to lots of practice. I found that I was actually really focused on what "position" my hand was in over the frets, so when my hand was in the position to hit orange notes, I had to really concentrate on the correct fingerings for red, yellow, and blue.

It's definitely worth sticking with it, though. Honestly, I'd say Hard and Expert are the "true" GH experiences, whereas Medium and Easy are just basically like extended training modes.
Old 11-10-06, 02:51 PM

I JUST noticed the Freezepop song. I should've known by the title "Less Talk more Rokk" but I realized it at the loading screen when it said "Throw your undies on the stage. No wait, you're underage."

Any Freezepop fans here? Definitely try this song. It's my favorite so far. On Expert, the HO/PO's gradually speed up so it's easy to get into the rhythm, plus they seem extra fluid.
Old 11-10-06, 03:06 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I first heard of Freezepop on the Frequency game. Great band. Cheesy, catchy and fun songs.

I'm glad they were in GH1 and now in GH2.
Old 11-11-06, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xVladx
It's definitely worth sticking with it, though. Honestly, I'd say Hard and Expert are the "true" GH experiences, whereas Medium and Easy are just basically like extended training modes.
I agree with that. In a way, medium is a little more difficult because you aren't pressing a button for every note that gets played, so if you are really listening to the music it doesn't sync with what you're seeing. I've noticed when I play on medium at times I'll hit the strummer in perfect rythym with the music, but I'll still miss a note. Hard takes a lot of adjustment, but once you get it down its much more satisfying, because it more closely feels like you're playing the actual song.

Thumbs down to the censored lyrics. Killing in the name of completely loses it's climax. This is Rock n Roll baby! Still a fun song to play and I guess they had no choice.

With all the talk about the series being very popular with music artists, hopefully on the next release more bands will provide the master track so their songs aren't "butchered." I think the vocals are pretty good for the most part, but then you play John the Fisherman and you realize how much better this game could be.

I was pleasanty surprised with Rock this Town. I looked online and saw this song is from 1980, I thought it was from the 50s. It still has that golden oldie sound and I hope they include a couple more in the next game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.