Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Game of the Century

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-06, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
To make it worse you have to catch 2 fish as the cat won't take the first one.

Actually, the cat took the first one I caught, but who knows.

Originally Posted by Artman
The graphics do get better once you're out of the village area right? So far I'm hard pressed to see any difference between this and Ocarina's graphics... little disspointing.
I popped in my Ocarina GC disc to check out the Wii's GC function this morning and I can tell you for sure that Twilight Princess is miles ahead in terms of graphics. Personally, I don't mind the graphics not being on par with my 360/PS3, because I love Zelda. Now when it comes to other, non first party games, yeah I think I might mind a little more.

BTW, I just finished the 3rd dungeon and I'm 14 1/2 hours in already. I believe that there are a total of 9 dungeons, so this is going to be one very long game and that's how it should be.
Old 11-25-06, 01:57 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I'm loving this game. I liked the Wind Waker a lot, but this is the way Zelda should be! Strong Lord of the Rings vibe in places especially
Spoiler:
the boar riders charging over the hill just like the warg riders in The Two Towers----that sequence was one of the coolest I've came across in my 20 odd years of gaming, from chasing them around in the field, to finishing with the joust on the bridge with the leader. Very cool.

I'm 10.5 hours in and just got to what I assume is the second dungeon
Spoiler:
the Goron mines
and saved for the night.

This has already surpassed Okami as the game of the year for me, and that's saying a lot as I fucking loved that game.
Old 11-25-06, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Wow you guys are movin... I'm still fighting the shadow demons to return to my human form. Having some trouble trying to use Midna's force field... I gave up after a few tries.

I get the deluxe guide in about ten days... so until then it might be slow going for me.
Old 11-25-06, 09:22 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Artman
Wow you guys are movin... I'm still fighting the shadow demons to return to my human form. Having some trouble trying to use Midna's force field... I gave up after a few tries.
Here's a tip on that, that will be even more necessary in future encounters.

Spoiler:

The key is if you kill all but one of them, the remaining one will revive them. So the key is two take care of them in one of two ways.

1. Get them all in the force field and kill them all at once.

2. But this is sometimes tricky, so you can kill one that is staying farther away and not getting in the force field range (or two if their are four of them and so on, just so you leave two alive), and then finish the remaining two off at the same time with the force field.
Old 11-25-06, 09:55 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I just beat the Goron Mines last night. I've played for 11:40. Great game.
Old 11-25-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man I'm loving this game. I liked the Wind Waker a lot, but this is the way Zelda should be! Strong Lord of the Rings vibe in places especially
Spoiler:
the boar riders charging over the hill just like the warg riders in The Two Towers----that sequence was one of the coolest I've came across in my 20 odd years of gaming, from chasing them around in the field, to finishing with the joust on the bridge with the leader. Very cool.

I'm 10.5 hours in and just got to what I assume is the second dungeon
Spoiler:
the Goron mines
and saved for the night.

This has already surpassed Okami as the game of the year for me, and that's saying a lot as I fucking loved that game.
I agree, the first sequence you mentioned had even my parents cheering me on, and they are not big gaming fans.
Old 11-25-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just beat the 3rd dungeon
Spoiler:
the water temple

It wasn't really hard, but it there were quite a few puzzles that took a lot of time to figure out.

I'm having such a blast with this game, and the story just keeps getting better.
Old 11-26-06, 02:00 AM
Retired

Finished the Goron Mines....that was an awesome boss battle!.

Goofed around in the town to buy some new items and get a piece of heart and then went on and saved when I got to the next twilight area.
Old 11-26-06, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just got the Master Sword! I haven't had a chance to actually fight too many bad guys with it yet, but I'm just excited that I got it. The really cool part about having the Master Sword is
Spoiler:
I can change between human and wolf whenver I want.

I wanna play some more, but my Wiimote batteries are already weak, and I don't want it dying on me while playing. I'll pick up some batteries tomorrow morning when I go hunting for an extra Wiimote.
Old 11-26-06, 08:56 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by eatntae
I wanna play some more, but my Wiimote batteries are already weak, and I don't want it dying on me while playing. I'll pick up some batteries tomorrow morning when I go hunting for an extra Wiimote.
Pick up some niHM rechargable AA batteries and quick charger if you don't have one already as that will save a lot of money in the long run.

A cool thing is when the batteries get low, the remote turns off and the game pauses (at least with Zelda) so you can change the batteries, or just switch to a second remote if you have one, and resume playing.
Old 11-26-06, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished the Goron Mines....that was an awesome boss battle!.

Goofed around in the town to buy some new items and get a piece of heart and then went on and saved when I got to the next twilight area.
A question about the Post-Mines section
Spoiler:

Do you need bombs or something? I went over the stone bridge and found the path blocked by rocks.

Also on the boss battle:
Spoiler:

It reminded me a lot of fighting Ganon at the end of OoT, having to hit him on the jewel on his head.
Old 11-26-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

About how long did the pack-in batteries last? I've played probably 20+ hours and they're still at 4 bars.
Old 11-26-06, 09:18 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by lordwow
A question about the Post-Mines section
Spoiler:

Do you need bombs or something? I went over the stone bridge and found the path blocked by rocks.
Spoiler:

Yep you need bombs, you can buy them in the bomb ship in the town for 120 including the bomb bag to carry them.

The hawkeye in the little kids shop for 100 rupees is useful as well (allows zoom aiming with the bow).
Old 11-26-06, 09:20 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by lordwow
About how long did the pack-in batteries last? I've played probably 20+ hours and they're still at 4 bars.
Wow, I put 2500 mah Energizer Nihms in mine, and they died the other day. I looked through the calendar to add up my play time, and it was only around 18 hours. And Nihms usually last a lot longer than plain batteries.

Do you need to use brand specific charges with these batteries? I just charged them in my panasonic charger that I've had for a while.
Old 11-26-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:

Yep you need bombs, you can buy them in the bomb ship in the town for 120 including the bomb bag to carry them.

The hawkeye in the little kids shop for 100 rupees is useful as well (allows zoom aiming with the bow).
Spoiler:

That's what I figured, I threw down all 300 Rupees on the Hawkeye and the Shield in the shop, so I ran around Hyrule field getting 30 Rupees to get the bomb not realizing you needed 120 for the pouch too. Oh well, kinds sucks given the # of Rupees I had to put back in their chests in the Mines.
Old 11-26-06, 09:54 AM
Retired

Yeah, I bought the shield before going to the mines, so I had plenty of money when I left (even with having to put a lot back in chests).
Old 11-26-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm at the Goron mines now, and am in love with this game.
Old 11-26-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I bought the shield before going to the mines, so I had plenty of money when I left (even with having to put a lot back in chests).
Damn, I must have missed it before.
Old 11-26-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My batteries aren't quite dead yet, but when I start a game I get a pop-up message saying they're low. I have about 16 playtime hours of Zelda, and maybe 5 hours of Wii Sports, and maybe another hour of Mii creation and inputting friend codes. I went out to buy rechargables yesterday, but I saw too much terminology I don't know about on the package, so I decided to go home and read up on it before actually buying.

Regarding Zelda:
Spoiler:
What's the Hawkeye that you mentioned you bought? Where do you buy it?
Old 11-26-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eatntae
Regarding Zelda:
Spoiler:
What's the Hawkeye that you mentioned you bought? Where do you buy it?
Spoiler:

After you beat the Mines, from the pond there at the bottom of the city, first building on the right has a store inside where they sell the Hyrule shield (the traditional Link shield in every other game) for 200 Rupees and the Hawkeye for 100. The Hawkeye has 2 functions. Alone it's like binoculars. But you can also link it to your bow and arrow and essentially make it a sniper rifle. It's a lot more difficult to aim (and you can't move around the view too quickly I've found) with the Hawkeye, but you can zoom way the heck in.
Old 11-26-06, 03:32 PM

About rechargeable battery terminology...

First, you have the chemical makeup of the battery. Earlier on was nickel cadmium (NiCad), then nickel metal hydride (NiMH) showed up, and more recently lithium ion.

Go with the now-tried and true NiMH.

Each battery package will have a number on it announcing mAh. This is analogous to how big a car's gas tank is. The higher the number, the longer before you'd need to recharge. This is the number to look at.

I've seen seemingly identical batteries on the same shelf at a retailer have different capacities. Over time, manufacurers are able to increase the mAh, and you don't want to pay the same price for an older, inferior battery when the package right behind it may have a greater number.

The maximum NiMH AA mAh you'll probably see at retail is currently 2600 mAh. Don't settle for less than 2300 mAh, unless you're buying rechargeables in bulk for a far less per battery cost.

(I would guess that your typical Best Buy, for instance, would have a pack of 4 AA Energizer 2300 [or possibly higher] mAh NiMHs for $13 versus a Fry's carrying a box of 20 AA Ultralast 2000 mAh NiMHs for $20).
Old 11-26-06, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although the first few hours of the game are a little slow, it really starts sucking you in around the first dungeon. I'm now just a little past dungeon #3 with about 18 hours logged, although over 30 minutes of that was spent at the fishing hole. I love the creepy character designs for the twilight monsters, and the story is pretty interesting so far. There are tons of parallels with Ocarina of Time, but these homages are not just retreads of old ideas - there are plenty of twists and new concepts added.

In other news, I just renewed my Nintendo Power subscription to get in on the Twilight Princess strategy guide + soundtrack offer, and although I won't touch the guide until I finish the main quest, I'll probably use it for some of the side quests or for finding some of the collectibles. So far it seems like there's a ton of secondary quests and things to hunt down, and with such a large world, I don't think I'd have the patience to find every last thing on my own.

One other thing for the Zelda fanboys out there: Target is offering a limited edition Twilight Princess gift pack. It doesn't include a game, but it's got a 1:6 replica of the Hylian Shield and the Master Sword, plus the soundtrack. I believe it's the same exact soundtrack that's offered in the Nintendo Power deal. It's $40 and they just started selling them today. I've got one, but it's been earmarked by my wife as a Christmas gift, so it's off-limits until 12/25.
Old 11-26-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Something that's really bothering me about this game (and it's probably just me, because I'm weird) is the controller and button icons on the screen at all times.

It's not so much that they're constantly there, but the they're so huge and not far enough to the side of the screen. It'd be MUCH better if they were smaller and/or further off to the side and/or more opaque, or if there was an option to turn them off.

As it is, they are greatly distracting and get in the way of clearly seeing the area around me.
I had to quote myself, because the more I play, OH MY GOD, the more this shit annoys the fuck out of me.

Seriously, these buttons icons on the side of the screen are so big and distracting, that it's making the game almost unplayable - it's like playing the game with blinders on. I just can't seem to get past it. Is there any way to turn them off, or make the smaller?
Old 11-26-06, 07:47 PM
Retired

They don't bother me, nor seem much worse than those in Ocarina. :shrugs:

As far as I know there isn't anyway to change them.
Old 11-26-06, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They don't bother me, nor seem much worse than those in Ocarina. :shrugs:
I agree, that hasn't bothered me at all either. I think one advantage that helps is since this can be played in widescreen, the unobstructed area is still much the same as any Zelda game in the past.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.