Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Game of the Century

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
I may be getting a lot of value for my money with this one. I'm at 9 hours and I've finished the first dungeon and I'm on my way to the second (I assume).

Will the other side quests open up soon? I've caught one bug and killed one Poe, but I'm wondering when the fishing comes back, along with other side quests. I don't know why, but I had zero problems with the initial fishing introduction. I have about 45 seconds of fishing in and I'm wondering when I'll be able to try again.
You'll be able to fish (there's a different type of fishing, which involves different lures/being on a boat/different controls) shortly before Dungeon #3.

On another note, I just finished Dungeon #4, and
Spoiler:
went crazy when I saw Ganondorf. They did a great job of expanding on the character model from Ocarina of Time and really making him look like a badass. Plus I love wondering if he'll be the main villain or not in a game, like I did with this one.

Question for those who have gotten farther than me (just a simple yes or no)...
Spoiler:
Are there Gerudos in the game? I've been through "Gerudo Desert", but have yet to see an actual Gerudo.

And one more note, regarding an item...
Spoiler:
The Spinner is fucking cool as hell.
Old 12-10-06, 08:30 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I'm loving this game. Just put in another 2 hours and saved at the start of Dungeon 4 (I think).

Spent a good bit of time just goofing around and doing games etc. for a couple heart pieces. The world is so huge in this game, will take a long time to explore it all.
Old 12-10-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
I personally couldn't rush through the game like that even if I tried. I'm the type that wants to get as much as I can as early as I can, in terms of side items/quests/etc.
I'm the same way (see my KH2 history), but I just didn't see a lot to go out of my way for in this game. Everything was pretty linear and I didn't just decide to stop and hang around castle town. It wasn't until I was
Spoiler:
getting Ilia's memory back
that I even found the watchtower or the expensive shop.

I may go back and try to flesh out the experience, but I'm not sure what it would add at this point. I've got a stack of DS games begging to be played as well.
Old 12-11-06, 08:09 AM
Cool New Member

Hey Guys,

I haven't read any spoilers yet, but I do have a question on a part that I just completed -

Spoiler:
Any theories on what the ruins are for the area where you get the Master Sword? I was thinking that I was in the castle from Ocarina, but frankly, I haven't played that game since it first came out, and I barely remember it.
Old 12-11-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chroma914
Hey Guys,

I haven't read any spoilers yet, but I do have a question on a part that I just completed -

Spoiler:
Any theories on what the ruins are for the area where you get the Master Sword? I was thinking that I was in the castle from Ocarina, but frankly, I haven't played that game since it first came out, and I barely remember it.
Spoiler:
You don't want to know the answer to that. I'd say it is the same place you get the Master Sword in A Link to the Past.
Old 12-11-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is the score from the January issue of EGM:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) -
(Platinum) Game of the Month
Jeremey - 10
Crispin - 10
Shane - 10

Old 12-11-06, 11:37 PM
Retired

It's definitely deserving of the Rare EGM platinum award.

Just finished the 4th dungeon, a bit over 27 hours in. Just keeps getting better. The boss battle in this dungeon was fantastic!
Old 12-12-06, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's definitely deserving of the Rare EGM platinum award.

Just finished the 4th dungeon, a bit over 27 hours in. Just keeps getting better. The boss battle in this dungeon was fantastic!
That's my favorite dungeon thus far. That item, and the subsequent boss battle, made for one of the coolest Zelda experiences ever. Love it.
Old 12-12-06, 02:22 PM

Am I the only one who feels that the wolf portions detract from the overall enjoyment of the game? The wolf segment would never make it as a successful game all on its own, and at least half of the game I am stuck in wolf-mode. I bought Zelda to play Zelda, i.e. Link, not a limited and boring wolf game.
Old 12-12-06, 02:28 PM
Retired

Yeah, the Wolf part does get a little old, but I think part of it for me is I spent 40 hours playing as a wolf in Okami immediately before starting Zelda.
Old 12-12-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't mind the wolf sections personally. They were short and sweet and once you had the ability to go back and forth, it added yet another layer to the dungeon exploring. Besides, you get to see Link throw Poes on the ground and tear their hearts out with his teeth.. that's hilarious.
Old 12-12-06, 11:12 PM
Retired

Played another couple hours and got to the 5th dungeon and saved. It seems like after the 1st three you spend less time wandering around in between dungeons, so maybe my final time for my straight play through will drop down some, still probably going to be above the 40 hours or so some have finished in though, since I'm already at 29 hours.

The
Spoiler:
snowboarding
leading up to the 5th dungeon was pretty cool!
Old 12-12-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually feel the opposite...I'm spending MORE time wandering around between dungeons after the first.

Or do you mean there's more to do in the storyline between dungeons in the first three? If that's what you're meaning, I agree.
Old 12-13-06, 08:58 AM
Retired

A bit of both, but it has definitely taken me less time to find the 4th and 5th dungeons than it did the first 3.
Old 12-13-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Edge magazine gave the game a 9, and said the play through length was about 40 hours.
Old 12-13-06, 07:19 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I just picked up the GCN version today! I can't wait to crack it open. It's too bad I don't have access to my GCN and it'll be a couple months until I do...
Old 12-13-06, 08:53 PM
Retired

Played a good while this evening, finished dungeon 5 and started at the beginning of dungeon 6.

There's definitely much less required running around between dungeons after the first 3. Just warp back to town, go to the bar to find out where to go next, warp as close as you can to the mark on your map, and you're all set once you figure out how to get to the dungeon.
Old 12-14-06, 04:54 PM
Retired

Finished Dungeon 6, working on getting to 7. Definitely a ton of shit to do between these too. Finished the long fetch quest, now hunting down the statues....
Old 12-14-06, 06:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Can I "pick up and play"?

and not use a FAQ book?

I want to get into a great action/adventure game and this seems like i could dig it. i've never really played the Zelda games before. also, i am not a great gamer...i finish things, but i need help and it takes some time (which is fine with me).

But, is this game really complicated that a newbie who just wants to take his time and not use a FAQ be able to accomplish most things?

I saw the official guide and it is literally a couple hundred pages which seems so daunting. i've literally never seen one as thick.

so can i pick up and play?? thanks for any and all comments.
Old 12-14-06, 06:37 PM
Retired

I'm through 6 of 9 dungeons and haven't used a faq.

Some of the puzzles are a bit obtuse though, and having played every zelda prior to this one certainly helps me in knowing what types of things to look for.

So I guess I'd say it can be done without a guide, but you'll probably get stuck more than those of us who have played the series over the years. But I'd think you could still get through it, the puzzles are usually pretty logical, some just take some thought with really exploring the dungeon and thinking about all the items in your inventory.
Old 12-14-06, 06:41 PM

I'm through 6 of 9 dungeons and haven't used a faq.

Some of the puzzles are a bit obtuse though, and having played every zelda prior to this one certainly helps me in knowing what types of things to look for.

So I guess I'd say it can be done without a guide, but you'll probably get stuck more than those of us who have played the series over the years. But I'd think you could still get through it, the puzzles are usually pretty logical, some just take some thought with really exploring the dungeon and thinking about all the items in your inventory.
thanks Josh. so can this be picked up and played in small spurts and still be enjoyable?

how is the game overall in your opinion? and as it stacks up to all other Zelda games?
Old 12-14-06, 06:53 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by scott1598
thanks Josh. so can this be picked up and played in small spurts and still be enjoyable?

how is the game overall in your opinion? and as it stacks up to all other Zelda games?

It's tough to limit yourself to spurts. I tend to get sucked in for at least an hour or two and often more.

But you can save whenever, so you can play it in spurts.

Being maybe 2/3's through the game I can easily say its one of the best games I've ever played, and will end up at or near the top of my all time favorites list. Probably will end up as my favorite Zelda as well.

It's that good. The first few hours until you get to the first dungeon are a bit slow though, just to warn you.
Old 12-14-06, 07:21 PM

It's tough to limit yourself to spurts. I tend to get sucked in for at least an hour or two and often more.

But you can save whenever, so you can play it in spurts.

Being maybe 2/3's through the game I can easily say its one of the best games I've ever played, and will end up at or near the top of my all time favorites list. Probably will end up as my favorite Zelda as well.

It's that good. The first few hours until you get to the first dungeon are a bit slow though, just to warn you.
That sounds good. I think I will think about it overnight. See, I got that and a guide, but haven't opened yet. Just don't know if I want to give up the expense with something I may get dis-interested in. But, thanks for all your comments.
Old 12-16-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just started playing Zelda since my component cables came in. Talk about jaggies! Doesn't matter, the game rocks.

I'm not a big Zelda fan. I never played the Link to the past or either of the n64 Zeldas, but I did play through most of Zelda: WW (got tired of boating around).

I'm finding it highly enjoyable. Easy so far but I hope it improves as WW was way too easy.

I like the wolf stuff so far. Feels very original.
Old 12-16-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Just beat the game. Didn't bother trying to collect everything, and barely went fishing at all. The final boss fight is pretty damn cool, and the ending is pretty long, and about as satisfying as a videogame ending can be.

I'll probably play through it again after Christmas with a new tv and component cables. Then again, maybe not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.