Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Microtransations - "Next-Gen" gaming at its best!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microtransations - "Next-Gen" gaming at its best!

Old 10-16-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Gamers getting screwed by "extra" content

This is why I hate microtransactions.

Xbox Live members can now download the following premium in-game content for ‘Tiger Woods PGA Tour ‘07’:

Unlock Golfer:-200 points
Pro Shop – 300 points
Maxed out Player – 200 points
Sunday Tiger– 240 points
Unlock Courses – 200 points

The game hasnt even been released yet and EA has released 'extra' content, boy how nice of them.

This is just proof that developers are skimping out on stuff that would normally be included in games just to pinch gamers for a few extra $$$. Pathetic.

Not to mention it looks like we are being charged for what looks like a cheat code.

Please dont buy this crap and support this obvious screwing that EA is offering gamers.

Last edited by thematahara; 10-16-06 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo in title
Old 10-16-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I totally agree with you.

I'm 100% behind DLC, as long as it isn't something that should be in the game to begin with.

Things I've paid for "extra" for my games so far..

Oblivion quests : I shouldn't have done that. But... I love that game, and the extra quests aren't bad. Plus the Mountain Castle is quite useful.

Star Wars Lego Star Wars II : Unlock all the Ep I-III characters. Why the hell not? Having the ability to take Grievous/Maul thru the OT stuff is pretty badass.

And thats about it. I've paid for a lot of XBLA stuff , but, yeah. The DLC thus far is just nickeling and diming the gamers.
Old 10-16-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by thematahara
The game hasnt even been released yet and EA has released 'extra' content, boy how nice of them.

This is just proof that developers are skimping out on stuff that would normally be included in games just to pinch gamers for a few extra $$$. Pathetic.

Not to mention it looks like we are being charged for what looks like a cheat code.

Please dont buy this crap and support this obvious screwing that EA is offering gamers.
It's all bullshit, but money for a cheat code? I never use cheat codes, but fuck you EA.
Old 10-16-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just another reason I'm glad I'm not jumping into this "next-generation" of gaming, in my opinion.
Old 10-16-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like EA is the biggest offender of this right? First they get exclusive to the NFL with Madden and now this.

Screw em.
Old 10-16-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
While I will get Tigers Woods 07, EA can shove their downloadable content up their asses. It would be different if the game came in $10 more than the current gen systems, but it's freaking $20 more and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles built in. I agree with Michael Corvin - Fuck you EA!!
Old 10-16-06, 10:46 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so if most of us wont buy it, will it become free?
Old 10-16-06, 10:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
so if most of us wont buy it, will it become free?
Possibly, in future games. But I imagine that there are enough gamers out there with expendable income that won't think twice about blowing money on this stuff.
Old 10-16-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts
Im confused by this downloadable content... You mean to tell me that you can't upgrade your clubs or clothes unless you BUY the Pro Shop?
Old 10-16-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts
All of that stuff is in the game but has to be unlocked through playing (like it always has been). They are giving you the option to buy it to unlock it rather than playing the game. Someone may only be buying to to play on-line and doesn't want to go through all the single player stuff to unlock courses and characters. This gives them another option.

I actually hope cheat codes become only available through purchases like this. It'll make less people use them.
Old 10-16-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
All of that stuff is in the game but has to be unlocked through playing (like it always has been). They are giving you the option to buy it to unlock it rather than playing the game. Someone may only be buying to to play on-line and doesn't want to go through all the single player stuff to unlock courses and characters. This gives them another option.

I actually hope cheat codes become only available through purchases like this. It'll make less people use them.
Why do you care if people use cheat codes? Or are you saying there are cheat codes that make the gamer have an advantage on Live.
Old 10-16-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this is complete bullshit I will agree. But I will also chime in that we basically ask for this type of shit. DOn't beleive me? Check out strategy guides. People pay cash for walkthroughs and other tips...which bleeds into this glorified cheat code bullshit.

Just like we bitch about high priced games, yet we jump at the chance to pay $10 extra for a booklet, tin case and dvd on the "Making of Dig Dug". We're to blame as well...
Old 10-16-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
The whole concept of "unlockable content" is a cheezy way to extend playability of a game.

I really appreciate how Amped 3 handles cheats. There are cheatcodes that temporarily unlock the later levels and objects and while a cheat is active, no achievements can be earned.

But paying to permanently unlock what I already purchased? A sleazy way to extract more money from gamers.

It's only going to get worse folks.
Old 10-16-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Yeah, this is complete bullshit I will agree. But I will also chime in that we basically ask for this type of shit. DOn't beleive me? Check out strategy guides. People pay cash for walkthroughs and other tips...which bleeds into this glorified cheat code bullshit.

Just like we bitch about high priced games, yet we jump at the chance to pay $10 extra for a booklet, tin case and dvd on the "Making of Dig Dug". We're to blame as well...
And isn't a primary reason for buying a strategy guide to unlock content (either items or levels)?

I've only ever purchased one strategy guide, the one for Dead Rising, and there was nothing remotely close to a "cheat" in it. Spoilers, yes, cheats no.
Old 10-16-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the time being, gamers are only getting screwed if they choose to be. When they start doing microtransactions for necessary content, or for things that unbalance multiplayer modes, then it will be much worse. Lumines Live on 360 is a step in a dangerous direction - they will supposedly be charging gamers to unlock a large portion of the single-player levels. Hopefully they will change their minds before release. I know I won't be buying it if they go that direction.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
So the content is already there, and you have the option to unlock it without paying for it? If I can unlock it myself, or I can pay to unlock it if I don't feel like doing the work then I don't think that's a bad idea. However if you can't get the content without paying for it, then I would just skip it.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird2340
Why do you care if people use cheat codes? Or are you saying there are cheat codes that make the gamer have an advantage on Live.
Not really refering to 360 but I remember playing games like Midnight Club and EVERY race was full of only the crazy supercar casue everyone had used a code to unlock it. It wasn't even worth playing on-line because of it. If someone wants to use a cheat off-line playing a single player game I couldn't care less.
Old 10-16-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
how exactly does one get "crewed" anyway?
Old 10-16-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Just another reason I'm glad I'm not jumping into this "next-generation" of gaming, in my opinion.

I've got no problem with concepts like Live Arcade or Virtual Console, but the shit going on with micropayments is crazy. EA is adding nothing to the games but a chance to fleece their customers.
Old 10-16-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These are the exact concerns people discussed back on 2001 when xbox launched, everyone said we were crazy... Who's crazy now? hahahahaha

Old 10-16-06, 12:08 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Same here.

And if nintendo starts doing this, I'll be very tempted to pawn my Wii and say fuck it.
Old 10-16-06, 12:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nintendo is getting their bucks from us buying legacy games. They may not go this route.

Then again, look at Animal Crossing and the way they tried to sell us additional content via those trading cards.
Old 10-16-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My main concern for this is that it could very well be a transitionary thing. They're testing the waters to see who'll pay for this stuff, while it's still in the game now. If enough people bite, who's to say that it won't be pay only next time? I mean, the rumors about Gran Turismo scare the shit out of me in a big, bad way.
Old 10-16-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thunderball
Things I've paid for "extra" for my games so far..

Oblivion quests : I shouldn't have done that. But... I love that game, and the extra quests aren't bad. Plus the Mountain Castle is quite useful.
I think microtransactions like the ones for Oblivion are ok, because its essentially a cheap expansion pack. It wasn't something that should have been in the game to begin with, but something that prolongs the value of the title.
Old 10-16-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
Not really refering to 360 but I remember playing games like Midnight Club and EVERY race was full of only the crazy supercar casue everyone had used a code to unlock it. It wasn't even worth playing on-line because of it. If someone wants to use a cheat off-line playing a single player game I couldn't care less.
Ahh.. Ok.. Totally agree with you then.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.