Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Family Guy: The Video Game

Old 10-17-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Family Guy: The Video Game

So, has anyone picked this up yet? It's only $29.99 everywhere and it looks pretty fun. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but curious if anyone's played it and how it is.

On another topic, while it may just be me, but does today (October 17th) seem to be one of the greatest video game release days ever? So much stuff...Family Guy, Bully, Splinter Cell, and Tiger Woods 07 (360) just to name a few.
Old 10-17-06, 10:52 PM

I forgot it was even coming out till I saw it on the shelves today. None of the major sites have reviews up yet. People over at gamefaqs said it was decent. If it was $20 I would have grabbed it no questions asked. $30 seems like so much more for some reason.
Old 10-17-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got it (along with Bully and NBA 2K7) earlier, but I haven't played it yet.
Old 10-18-06, 12:07 AM
Banned

it's awesome.
i think i'm almost done with it.
but i've been playing non-stop.
and ditched class to get and play it.
Old 10-18-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks like a quick game, but something that fans of the show could enjoy. I'll probably pick it up when I'm out later today.
Old 10-19-06, 09:15 AM

I don't suppose it comes as a computer game as well? I didn't see anything when I looked, but maybe I'm just missing it.
Old 10-19-06, 10:02 AM
Banned

ps2.
psp.
xbox.

thats it.
and it's damn worth buying on xbox.
its about a 6 or so hour game.
so, about what you would expect for the price.
but the game is damn funny.
Old 10-19-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting...anyone play the PSP game?
Old 10-22-06, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by im_ryandick
ps2.
psp.
xbox.

thats it.
and it's damn worth buying on xbox.
its about a 6 or so hour game.
so, about what you would expect for the price.
but the game is damn funny.

If only it was compatible with the 360
Old 10-22-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked it up for the PSP. I'm not sure if there's any difference between it and the console versions, but so far it's enjoyable. The tasks are pretty simple - collect items, or defeat some enemies, or sneak past guards. The thing that makes it enjoyable is the Family Guy license - the humor from the show turns what would otherwise be a mediocre game into something that's pretty funny, very much like Lego Star Wars II.
Old 10-22-06, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can pick it up for $23.97 at BestPrices through the Google Checkout deal. I think that's what I'm going to do here pretty soon.
Old 10-24-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, instead of BestPrices I bought it at a local Blockbuster since I had most credit than I thought. I'm almost to the end of the game, and it's been an ok way to blow time while having a few laughs along the way. It's nothing technically great, but you know that going in. It's cookie cutter gaming all the way, with a Family Guy coat of paint, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

You could beat it with a rental, and there isn't anything to do after you beat it other than the little mini-games, but those are so simple that you'll never go back to do them ever again unless it's just to show them to someone else. I'd even go so far as to say that if you can just buy it for around $20, then it isn't that bad of an idea.

You MUST be a Family Guy fan to enjoy it.
Old 10-24-06, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished it, and thought it was worth the $29.99. Anything more and I would have been ripped off. I almost gave up on the game because I hate stealth missions and I thought there would be no hope for me getting past Brian's missions, but I give myself a pat on the back for kicking their asses.

Also, kudos for the last boss of the game.
Spoiler:
Peter vs. The Chicken!!!
I was hoping he would show up in some way.
Old 10-24-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find it funny that you say that you didn't like Brian's stealth missions, and most everyone else says the same thing, because that is just about my favorite part of the game! It's like one of those old NES puzzle games or something. Heck, I'd buy a cheap game just totally full of missions like that.

I like the themes of Peter's stages, and the oldschool Stewie levels where you are almost sorta playing some of those oldschool arcade shooters were great also. It's not a "bad" game, but it's not good enough to be worth ANY more than $30.

The entire thing feels like an old NES game to me, and that's one of the reasons that I like it as much as I do. There have also been quite a few times that I've laughed out loud.
Old 10-25-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I just beat the game. It was a pretty good time, even though it was short. Truth be told though, I don't think this game needed to be any longer, considering the setup and all of that. The final boss battle was awesome!

I guess it's back to Bully for me.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 10-25-06 at 01:12 AM.