Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sam & Max Episode 1: Culture Shock available on GameTap

Old 10-17-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Sam & Max Episode 1: Culture Shock available on GameTap

Here's the press release.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061017/cltu037.html

If I'm reading it right, each episode will be available for purchase 15 days after launching on GameTap. I think I'll go that route as I don't have any interest in getting a GameTap account.
Old 10-17-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably the best way to go is the Season Pass, since it allows you to download each episode as it becomes available on TellTale, plus in April when it's all finished, they send you a disc with the entire season on it. Plus, it's only $35, compared to $54 if you bought them all seperately.
Old 10-17-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm downloading the first episode on GameTap now. Can't wait to play it.
Old 10-17-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, the Point and Click Adventure game is still alive. I played an hour of the game and its really good. Standard point and click stuff, but the strength is the great dialog and there are some great one liners in the game. For instance they ask a girl why she quit giving Tattoos and she tells them it is because a guy came in and asked her to put a ship on his chest, but she misunderstood him. A game with a cleveland steamer joke has got to be good. Graphically it has a nice cartoon look and like I said the dialog between Sam and Max is very good.

Nintendo really needs to go after this game for the Wii.

Last edited by darkside; 10-17-06 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although (expectedly) short, Sam & Max: Episode 1 is quite excellent. It's almost as good as I could have hoped for, and better than I expected. Can't wait for the next installments. Big thumbs up from me.
Old 10-18-06, 05:03 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this game compatible on the Mac? I'm a huge Sam and Max fan.

And yes, for the love of god Nintendo, get the full game for the Wii!
Old 10-18-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a heads up for anyone interested. Gametap is actualy a really good service. I signed up for a year for $60. Their Gametap TV channel is really good and has shows that go to TGS and X06 and other trade shows. They put out some decent short documentaries like the one for Sam and Max and they have Cartoon Network content.

Lots of great games too. They recently added Serious Sam 1st and 2nd Encounter, Far Cry and Civilization III. So for $5 a month you get Sam and Max early, a bunch of great PC games and solid emulators for Neo Geo, Genesis and many others.

Best $5 a month I spend.
Old 10-20-06, 04:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Sam and Max, going back to their comic book days.

I might have to look into this subscription thing. $35 total, or do I need to pay the $60 for Gametap also?

i'll check out the website when I get home from work.
Old 10-20-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm a huge fan of Sam and Max, going back to their comic book days.

I might have to look into this subscription thing. $35 total, or do I need to pay the $60 for Gametap also?

i'll check out the website when I get home from work.
I think the way it works is this: if you only want Sam & Max, you pay $35 and get all of the episodes, but you only get each episode 15 days after the Gametap premiere. If you pay $60, you get a year of Gametap - you won't have to pay anything extra for Sam & Max.

I went with the $60 1-year Gametap subscription. It seemed like it was worth $5 a month, and the game selection is really good. I've already played through Episode 1 of Sam & Max, and it's a solid game. Obviously it's a little on the short side since it's episodic, but it's got some nice puzzles and plenty of humor. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play other games on Gametap, but I did browse the library, and there's a good selection of classic games (arcade, Atari 2600, etc.) and newer stuff like the Splinter Cell games. Oh, and you can watch episodes of the old Sam & Max cartoons as well, which is a nice bonus for me since I used to watch that when it was on TV.
Old 01-04-07, 12:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The second episode is now out.

I've played through the first, and some of the second. These are really good games. The puzzles are clever, but intuitive (no "find the pixel" annoyances).

I highly recommend that any fans of the old school "point and click" adventures check them out.
Old 02-03-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Third is up now as well.

Got thinking when I posted in the FarCry thread...

I was running through the back catalogue of games on there that I'd previous missed, I'm extremely happy with this service. Now if only we could get a console version. And I love that they have Chu Chu Rocket on there.

Can't wait for Silent Hill 3, been meaning to play that one for ages.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-03-07 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-03-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've played through the first three chapters in between Hotel Dusk and I feel like its 1995 again. Anyway, Sam and Max is great and worth the price of GameTap alone.
Really hope when its complete they port it over for Wii owners.
Old 04-10-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just discovered this. I may purchase the season pass later. I played the demo (very short) and it looks really good.
Old 04-10-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played through chapter 1 as soon as it came out and really enjoyed it. For whatever reason, the rest of the chapters got put on the back burner until this past weekend, when I played through chapters 2 through 4, all of which were fantastic. I only got a few minutes into chapter 5 - I'll have to play some more later in the week. I'm a big fan of the running gags (Bosco's disguises, Sybil's careers, etc.) and the way that the different episodes connect to one another. The puzzles are clever and never frustating.
Old 04-10-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In case you don't want to use GameTap. Telltale Games website also has it available for $9/game or I think $35/season.

http://www.telltalegames.com/
Old 04-10-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I just discovered this. I may purchase the season pass later. I played the demo (very short) and it looks really good.
It's going to be released in stores as a single package later this year, you might want to just wait for that. I've been playing it on Gametap, but I'm going to wait for the retail release to buy it.
Old 04-10-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
It's going to be released in stores as a single package later this year, you might want to just wait for that. I've been playing it on Gametap, but I'm going to wait for the retail release to buy it.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah.. maybe I'll just wait.

Though I think if you buy the season, they give you a CD, so it's probably about the same.
Old 04-16-07, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
And I love that they have Chu Chu Rocket on there.
Do they really? Are all the modes from the DC original still there (netplay, puzzle creation, etc)? O_o