DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Tiger Woods 07 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/480800-tiger-woods-07-a.html)

ElementZ 10-15-06 09:24 AM

Tiger Woods 07

Just picked up the new Tiger 07 for Xbox.

Has anyone played it, I enjoy these games. Wondering if anything is different from previous versions.

darkside 10-15-06 09:35 AM

I played a bit yesterday and thought it very good. I have the Xbox version as well and it seems very close to last years, but they seem to have tossed in every course and feature possible. Granted, knowing EA the 360 version will probably require micropayments to get everything on the regular Xbox version.

ElementZ 10-15-06 11:07 AM

My putting sucks in this game

jonw9 10-15-06 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I played a bit yesterday and thought it very good. I have the Xbox version as well and it seems very close to last years, but they seem to have tossed in every course and feature possible. Granted, knowing EA the 360 version will probably require micropayments to get everything on the regular Xbox version.

Haha, you actually have to buy your own equipment. Putting greens and fairways not included!!

Gromit 10-15-06 02:58 PM

I know 360 games are going to be more expensive than Xbox and PS2 games, but it sucks that the Xbox/PS2 version is $40 and the 360 version is $60. :(

Binger 10-15-06 06:36 PM

Granted, knowing EA the 360 version will probably require micropayments to get everything on the regular Xbox version.

Actually, my understanding is that is really the plan, which places me in the not going to buy catagory. This is bullshit and will only serve to hurt the market in my opinion, but what the hell do I know. A quick glance at some other forums and people are saying things like "cool, we can get more content" and the like. Who the fuck gets excited being fleeced for extra for content that other system owners get included on the disc at a lower starting price? It's a scary future for gaming with stuff like this and the GT HD rumors running around. I hope it backfires big time on them.

ceeece 10-15-06 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ElementZ
Just picked up the new Tiger 07 for Xbox.

Has anyone played it, I enjoy these games. Wondering if anything is different from previous versions.

How did you get it already? It doesn't come out until Wed. the 18th.

Mittman 10-15-06 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ceeece
How did you get it already? It doesn't come out until Wed. the 18th.

The 360 version comes out this week. The XBox version came out on the 10th.

DVDKrayzie 10-15-06 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Binger
Actually, my understanding is that is really the plan, which places me in the not going to buy catagory. This is bullshit and will only serve to hurt the market in my opinion, but what the hell do I know. A quick glance at some other forums and people are saying things like "cool, we can get more content" and the like. Who the fuck gets excited being fleeced for extra for content that other system owners get included on the disc at a lower starting price? It's a scary future for gaming with stuff like this and the GT HD rumors running around. I hope it backfires big time on them.

wait so we pay $20 extra up front for the privelage to pay more money at a future date to get what everyone else got for $40 all inclusive? I hate EA it's already bad enough we gotta pay for the LOTR/Godfather full 1000 achievements. Really sucks for renting a game too.

collven 10-16-06 02:02 AM

Which version of Tiger Woods was the last to have the 3 button swing along with the analog swing? Was it 2004? I just never have gotten used to the analog swing and was looking to pick up an older PS2 version off of EBay.

darkside 10-16-06 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by collven
Which version of Tiger Woods was the last to have the 3 button swing along with the analog swing? Was it 2004? I just never have gotten used to the analog swing and was looking to pick up an older PS2 version off of EBay.

Maybe 2003. The analog swing has been around for a long time. I personally like it, but I don't like the new putting they put in last year (I think) and still switch it back to the old putting style.

Anyway, I have put in a couple of hours on the regular Xbox version of 07 and think its a really solid finish to the franchise on the older gen of consoles. Not drastically different from 06, but it has everything its built up over the past few years included and a lot of courses including some new ones. Definitely worth the $40.

Binger 10-16-06 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
wait so we pay $20 extra up front for the privelage to pay more money at a future date to get what everyone else got for $40 all inclusive?

Honestly, I'm not quite sure yet. Some say that the content is there and can be unlocked through gameplay, as it has always been, and that you can pay to unlock those items without putting in the work. Others think that EA is just going to charge for the extra content and that will be the only way to get it. If it's the former, I don't have as big a problem with it, other than the fact that I will not go on live until I put more time in the game, but if it's the latter then this is a scary trend that will almost definately lead to many gamers leaving the market all together. It's a very fine line that these developers are walking for a few dollars more that could lead to millions in lost revenues if gamers decide to take a walk because they don't like to be screwed.

ceeece 10-16-06 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mittman
The 360 version comes out this week. The XBox version came out on the 10th.

Okay, thanks!

darkside 10-16-06 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
wait so we pay $20 extra up front for the privelage to pay more money at a future date to get what everyone else got for $40 all inclusive? I hate EA it's already bad enough we gotta pay for the LOTR/Godfather full 1000 achievements. Really sucks for renting a game too.

Tiger seems different from Madden where they took freely available content on the other versions and locked it away to charge money for.

With Tiger you can at least get most of this by playing the game though it may take a long time to unlock everything. However, with every past Tiger EA gave you cheat codes to do all the stuff they are now charging for in the 360 version. Instead of typing in "ITSINTHEHOLE" you pay money.

Again, creating a brand new course later on and selling it as a download is cool. Charging money just to let gamers quickly unlock all the courses on the disc when it could easily just be done by giving out a password (and was always done with passwords) is bullshit.

Binger 10-16-06 05:37 PM

"ITSINTHEHOLE"

This is what the EA VPs yell while bending their customers over.

redcat 10-16-06 07:30 PM

I have the 360 version on pre-order, so I'm hoping it'll get here by Wednesday or Thursday. I'm not sure about the other versions, but the 360 version seems to have a new aiming feature that actually adds some difficulty to the game. I can't wait to play the game on the 360 - I just really hope they cut back on all the annoying player comments etc. that seemed to come after every shot in last year's version. Also, I kind of wish there were no crowds. I know it's more realistic for a pro tournament, but I like just seeing the courses by themselves. Hopefully there'll be no crowds in single games you play; maybe they just have them for the career mode.

Jcheckel 10-16-06 10:34 PM

With Tiger you can at least get most of this by playing the game though it may take a long time to unlock everything. However, with every past Tiger EA gave you cheat codes to do all the stuff they are now charging for in the 360 version. Instead of typing in "ITSINTHEHOLE" you pay money.

Again, creating a brand new course later on and selling it as a download is cool. Charging money just to let gamers quickly unlock all the courses on the disc when it could easily just be done by giving out a password (and was always done with passwords) is bullshit.

I have no problem with them selling the stuff instead of doing codes ASSUMING the stuff can be unlocked by people actually willing to play the game and earn the stuff. If you don't want to pay for it, that's fine you can still get it. I also have no problem with adding stuff later for a fee, as long as its because development on the game has continued, like happened with PGR2 and Links on the original XBOX, I'm just worried they'll start holding stuff back that's ready at release just to charge for later.

Onto the game itself, I don't have access to my 360 at the moment, but do have an XBOX here, so I picked up Tiger for it this past weekend. We're loving some of the new multiplayer modes, especially oneball, nothing makes you feel worse than leaving a putt 2 inches short on there, and practically giving the hole to the other guy,

redcat 10-20-06 05:26 PM

I got it for the 360 yesterday. I haven't had much time to play yet, but I like it so far. The graphics are great, and there seems to be some actual difficulty to the game with the way I was playing. By the way, there is still a Password page on the 360 version, which I thought was strange with all the talk of having to download unlocks and such.

Michael T Hudson 11-04-06 09:34 PM

Has anyone had any problems with the game locking up during play for the 360? I returned my first copy back to Target and the 2nd copy did it again tonight.

Liver&Onions 11-04-06 11:59 PM

mine locked up once - I rebooted and it was good to go.

Flay 11-05-06 12:14 AM

Mine locked up once; at the very start of a tournament thank goodness. 17th or 18th hole and I would have been pissed.

MasterofDVD 11-05-06 01:10 AM

I've had my copy freeze maybe 2 times now. Once right before it froze up it took a very long time to load the next hole and I thought something was wrong. The hole loaded up, I played it and while loading the very next hole I got an error message. It's never a good time to lock up but I am just glad the game auto saves as often as it does.