Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else changing their game/system buying philosophy this generation?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-13-06, 01:18 PM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last gen I had the Dreamcast, then the Gamecube, PS2 and X-box. I played a lot early in the generation, and another burst toward the middle, but a lot of the time my consoles just gathered dust that got knocked off for 1 or 2 big AAA games a year on each.

I also bought a ton of hyped games that I ended up not liking much based on all the stellar reviews (i.e. Halo 2, GTA3 etc.).

This gen I'm trying to be much more conservative.

1. The Wii and DS is it for me. Nintendo's first party games were mainly the only ones I found myself buying and playing straight through, and with my waning interest the Wii is the only console at a price point that makes sense for a fairly casual gamer.

2. I'm going to be much more selective in my game buying. Zelda is the only launch game I'm picking up on launch day. When I bought my GC I bought 4 games, and only ended up playing 1 of them seriously (Rogue Leader) and I bought a handful of games when I picked up my PS2 and X-box after price dropos with similar results.

With my limited time and interest, I'll probably focus mainly on first party Wii and DS games, and the occasionaly third party exclusives that are worth playing and stay away from the hyped multi-console games, FPS games, action games etc. as I've learned these tend to not float my boat despite the love they get from the gaming crowd.

Plus, there's always the Wii virtual console to ease any droughts between big releases that interest me.

I'll still check out some hyped games that are outside of series/genres that I did, but I'll try to rent first, or buy for $10-15 at most.

At any rate, I was just curious if anyone else here was taking a different approach to gaming this generation.
Old 10-13-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe. I'm coming in very conservatively. I'm sticking the Wii and DS for now and approaching the PS3 and Xbox 360 with extreme trepidation. I don't think I'll buy either until they hit $300 (I don't really mind getting the 20GB PS3) but then there's the issue of the big deal about either of those is having an HDTV and I'm back and forth on that every day.
Old 10-13-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nope. not at all. I know what type of game appeals to me, and thanks to my circumstances I get to play a shitload of games...enabling me to really learn my likes and dislikes.
Old 10-13-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 360 interested me enough to buy it on launch day. (due to the combination of next-gen gaming experience and multimedia capabilities) It was only the second time that I was on the leading edge of a game generation... the first was buying an Atari VCS (in all its faux-woodgrain glory). In between, I have purchased game system in the middle, or in the twilight of their life (primarily for the kids).

I have reached the depressing conclusion that I woefully and irreversibly suck at videogames. But that hasn't stopped me from having a blast with PGR3, Amped 3, and Dead Rising (the only 360 titles I own). I've been extremely selective about the games I have bought for the 360... and I'm absolutely delighted with my picks so far. My inability to play well HAS prevented me from getting excited about the "core" game genres on the 360.

That is why I'm really excited about the Wii. It looks like it will offer games for the "casual gamers". It seems like a system that will be fun to play as a family. I don't have huge blocks of free time to play games. Maybe 15 minutes here, 1/2 hour there. (it is whats making playing Dead Rising more difficult than it already is) It looks like the Wii will offer that type of on-the-spot gaming.
Old 10-13-06, 01:37 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
but then there's the issue of the big deal about either of those is having an HDTV and I'm back and forth on that every day.
That is a major issue. I didn't consider it a big deal until shit like the text not being readable on SDTVs in dead rising.

I won't have an HDTV for at least a couple of years, just can't really afford it on a grad student budget (hell couldn't afford the wii really, hence why I traded in a bunch of shit to pay it off in full) and I dont' really want to buy one when I'll be moving who knows where when I graduate.

Rather wait until I moved, have more income and have settled down a bit. Plus then there should be an array of 1080p sets available at less than the non-1080p sets on the market now.
Old 10-13-06, 01:40 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
nope. not at all. I know what type of game appeals to me, .
I do too, I just learned my lessons about trying to expand my tastes. I like platformers, japanese rpgs (some of them anyway), adventure games (zelda e.g.) and quirky pick up and play games like Brain Age or WarioWare.

Other than the occasional sports game or adventurish FPS game like metroid I'm sticking to those genre's this go around and not wasting my time trying to get into others like I did last gen.

These are just games to play for fun, not art like movies, music and books IMO. No point in wasting time playing stuff I know I'm probably not going to like for the sake of broading my horizons like I do with other mediums for time to time.
Old 10-13-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
As far as collecting yes. Playing no. I'll try just about everything. Last gen I probably had 30-40 titles for both the GC and Xbox. When the 360 rolled around and the Wii around the corner I realized I'm never going to play through 98% of those games again. Yet it's been so long they have no resale value.

This gen, so far, if I beat a game, I sell it. I don't rush through games though, so I don't want to go the rental route, but generally I can still get $40 by the time it is time to sell. I've actually done quite decent as far as cost goes. I've gotten Dead Risng, LSW & Prey all for about $5 total due to gift certificates, 1 trade in, coupons and what not. So it isn't like I'm buying for $60 and selling for $40. I'm actually coming out ahead.

So in general, no more collecting, unless I'm totally blown away by the game and can truly see myself playing again. This gen, only one game falls under that umbrella... Kameo. Partly due to all the achievements they keep adding.
Old 10-13-06, 01:52 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Last generation I didnt have a lot of time in my life for gaming. I had a few titles I liked for the Xbox but im not sure if its because LIVE was generic or because I was just busy with social life that I didnt game online much.

NOW, I have a sporadic social life so Im jumping online a lot more and enjoying LIVE a ton. Its a lot better this generation.

Money has never been an issue in gaming for me. I prefer to buy games rather than rent them.
Old 10-13-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only thing I plan to buy from this current generation anytime soon is a DS. I'm getting a Wii, probably before the end of 07, but I want to wait until a couple of waves of games are out. I still haven't forgot the N64 game situation.

I feel like the 360 and PS3 are both technically great systems, but it's pretty much more of the same, just prettier. That's fine by me, but it also means there is no real rush to jump onto one of these new systems. I got a PS2 when it first came out for $300, a used X-box for $150 with Halo late in it's life, and a Gamecube for $150 with Mario Sunshine. I put a nice chunk of change into the consoles I already have and all three still have a lot of life left, so I can wait a couple of years before buying a X360 or PS3. Like Pixy said, so much of the systems graphical worth is contingent on having an HDTV, which is something I'm not ready to buy with the prices falling so fast.

Last edited by boredsilly; 10-13-06 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-13-06, 01:55 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
When the 360 rolled around and the Wii around the corner I realized I'm never going to play through 98% of those games again. Yet it's been so long they have no resale value.
I've been doing the same, selling games now or trading them on the forum here, as soon as I beat them

If you haven't already, the EB/GS trade 3 get extra $10 deal is still going through the 15th. I got rid of several old, worthless games that way. At the worst you get $13 for the 3 (if they are old $1 trade in value games, and a lot of the games were worth $5-8 still).

Not great, but not that far from what you profit off of ebay and much less hassle.
Old 10-13-06, 02:03 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I feel like the 360 and PS3 are both technically great systems, but it's pretty much more of the same, just prettier.
Honestly the 360 feels like a whole different kind of animal this time around. The online experience is light years ahead of the old Xbox.
Old 10-13-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
If you haven't already, the EB/GS trade 3 get extra $10 deal is still going through the 15th. I got rid of several old, worthless games that way. At the worst you get $13 for the 3 (if they are old $1 trade in value games, and a lot of the games were worth $5-8 still).

Not great, but not that far from what you profit off of ebay and much less hassle.
Yeah, but I'm talking old games like NBA Street, SFX Tricky, Waverace and the like. I'm betting they are all worth $1. I guess it couldn't hurt to check values, but I don't have my hopes up. I guess $13 is still better than owning a game that is never going to get played again.
Old 10-13-06, 02:16 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Honestly the 360 feels like a whole different kind of animal this time around. The online experience is light years ahead of the old Xbox.
Of course that only matters to people that care about online gaming and/or gamerscores...
Old 10-13-06, 02:18 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, but I'm talking old games like NBA Street, SFX Tricky, Waverace and the like. I'm betting they are all worth $1. I guess it couldn't hurt to check values, but I don't have my hopes up. I guess $13 is still better than owning a game that is never going to get played again.
That was my feeling on the matter.

Sports games that aren't 2007 aren't eligible though. You might get by with street and SSX though since they don't have years in the title.

If you want to check values, this is reasonably complete and up to date

http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index....rade_in_values
Old 10-13-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I don't doubt that, but I don't play games online so I can only judge by game content. Not that I won't use live whenever I get a 360, but it would only be for downloading levels or live arcade stuff.
Old 10-13-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course that only matters to people that care about online gaming and/or gamerscores...
Not true. I in general could give two shits about online gaming...but love Live this iteration.
Old 10-13-06, 02:28 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Not true. I in general could give two shits about online gaming...but love Live this iteration.
True, there are the demos and live arcade. Neither are a big deal to me. Demos are nice for sure, Live arcade not so much as the games aren't up my alley yet...much more interested in the classic games on the Wii. If the 360 starts getting more of those then it will pique my interest.
Old 10-13-06, 02:47 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

True, there are the demos and live arcade. Neither are a big deal to me. Demos are nice for sure, Live arcade not so much as the games aren't up my alley yet...much more interested in the classic games on the Wii. If the 360 starts getting more of those then it will pique my interest.
What MS did was give development tools to anyone who wanted them--in this way they are fostering what will become a "YouTube" of arcade games.

Games, videos, HOURS worth of Battlestar Galactica, Chat, Video chat, Messenging. Is it a stretch to say they'll have message boards and clan features some day? You can already use a keyboard on the machine.

Basically if you have any use for the internet, you'll find LIVE valuable.
Old 10-13-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my experiences with online gaming and the only time I enjoyed it was playing Phantasy Star Online with my local friends.. so it's a non-issue to me, minus maybe some DS or Wii games that I'd play with them.. but honestly it's about 1,000,000 times for fun in person. I like to see their faces when I sneak into their tank with cloaking in Rocket Slime or the rush of everyone scurrying to the engines with both tanks at 0 HP. There's no energy like that when you're alone in your living room talking to someone over a headset.
Old 10-13-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm changing my habbits, but more in the number of games that I buy. I own a 360 and will get a Wii. In the prior generation I owned all the consoles, and bought a lot of games that I didn't play through. Now, I think I'm going to spend less on games, and only buy games that I will play all the way through, and try not to get caught up in the hype of reviews and games that get overhyped.
Old 10-13-06, 02:52 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I had my experiences with online gaming and the only time I enjoyed it was playing Phantasy Star Online with my local friends.. so it's a non-issue to me, minus maybe some DS or Wii games that I'd play with them.. but honestly it's about 1,000,000 times for fun in person. I like to see their faces when I sneak into their tank with cloaking in Rocket Slime or the rush of everyone scurrying to the engines with both tanks at 0 HP. There's no energy like that when you're alone in your living room talking to someone over a headset.
Maybe if you can have multiple TVs where they cant see each others screen. I HATE split screen gaming. Even though I have a 60" TV, it sucks because like in Halo, they can see you sneak up or they can tell where you are at all times.
Old 10-13-06, 03:02 PM
Retired

Maybe if you can have multiple TVs where they cant see each others screen. I HATE split screen gaming. Even though I have a 60" TV, it sucks because like in Halo, they can see you sneak up or they can tell where you are at all times.
I actually prefer split screen as it makes it more pick up and play as you don't need to have the boards memorized, no hiding/camping and sniping etc.

Online is better for serious multiplayer gaming IMO, but not for just getting some casual and nongamers (i'm not a serious gamer and most of my friends don't own any games period) together to drink some beer and play some games IMO.
Old 10-13-06, 03:03 PM
Retired

What MS did was give development tools to anyone who wanted them--in this way they are fostering what will become a "YouTube" of arcade games.

Games, videos, HOURS worth of Battlestar Galactica, Chat, Video chat, Messenging. Is it a stretch to say they'll have message boards and clan features some day? You can already use a keyboard on the machine.

Basically if you have any use for the internet, you'll find LIVE valuable.
None of that stuff really excites me as I can do it all the PC in the next room. No need to do it in the living room on my game system.

The only one that remotely piques my interest is maybe some decent indy games will pop up eventually.
Old 10-13-06, 03:05 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by huh?
Now, I think I'm going to spend less on games, and only buy games that I will play all the way through, and try not to get caught up in the hype of reviews and games that get overhyped.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that fell into that trap.
Old 10-13-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But who's fault is it that you bought into the hype? People hyped the shit out of Desperate Housewives, but I managed to stay away because I thought it would be shit. Not to some people it's not...to me, it is. Same as GTA. Regardless of the number of people hyping that game I still refused to buy into it. I picked it up for $15 used to see what the hype was - then promptly sold it back because it wasn't even worth that to me. Who's fault was it I lost $10? Not the hype-makers..but my own.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.