Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Go here: www.pspvideo9.com for your conversion program. It's free and works great!
Old 11-02-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone played the Warhammer 40k: Squad Command demo? From the trailer, this one looks interesting enough to make it a purchase.
Old 11-02-07, 09:38 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ds6161
I'm a PSP newbie. I copied some wmv, mov and mp3 files to my memory card, but my PSP slim does not see them.
Do I have to convert the movie files?
And what about the mp3's? do they need to be in a special file structure for the PSP to see them?

thankz
Did you format the card in your PSP first? Once you do that the folders should be created for you and will tell you where to put the MP3s, pictures, etc.
Old 11-02-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Did you format the card in your PSP first? Once you do that the folders should be created for you and will tell you where to put the MP3s, pictures, etc.
That didn't happen with mine. I formatted the card in the system but it didn't create the folders. I tried to create them myself but it still doesn't work. I didn't put too much effort into trying to figure it out though. I can't even play videos I download direct from the on-line store.

Originally Posted by Yavin
Has anyone played the Warhammer 40k: Squad Command demo? From the trailer, this one looks interesting enough to make it a purchase.
I did and really liked it. Plays a bit like a strategy RPG in a way but with more action. I may pick it up depending on final reviews.
Old 11-02-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Dracula X is a painful reminder how badly my castlevania skills have deteriorated over the years...
Old 11-02-07, 03:49 PM

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I did not do a format on my own. All I can remember was charging my PSP slim, turning it on and doing the date time stuff. I then turned it off, put in the memory card and started playing Daxter doing saves with no problem.
If I need to do a format can I copy my saved games to my PC, do the format and just copy them back??
Old 11-02-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boston george
Well having actually played the PSP version I can tell you that SotN runs just fine. If I had to pick I'd say I prefer the PSP version over the PS1 original. I like the new translation/voices.

As a whole DCX is pure bliss. The port of Rondo feels perfect, although I never played an actual PC Engine, only played it through emulator. The Remake of Rondo is incredible. It looks and plays great. It's been tweaked enough (controls slightly differently, seems a little harder in a good way) that it feels almost like a new game. Which is ok since the original is included. It's the best of both worlds.

All in all having these games portable is fantastic. For $29.99 it's a hell of a deal.

The SotN port may not have a ton of new content, but it's a great game already. Seeing as how it's a bonus game and it's a more refined version of the PS1 classic, I don't know what more you could ask for.

It's a must buy.
Glad to hear that from someone that played it. The 1up guys complained about the ports of the other two games and that put me off. I agree though that for $29.99 its an excellent package.
Old 11-02-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ds6161
I don't remember exactly what I did, but I know I did not do a format on my own. All I can remember was charging my PSP slim, turning it on and doing the date time stuff. I then turned it off, put in the memory card and started playing Daxter doing saves with no problem.
If I need to do a format can I copy my saved games to my PC, do the format and just copy them back??
You should be able to. Just copy your current save directory and then replace it when you're done formatting.
Old 11-02-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Glad to hear that from someone that played it. The 1up guys complained about the ports of the other two games and that put me off. I agree though that for $29.99 its an excellent package.

Cool, glad I could help. I'm gonna re-read the 1-Up review and see what it says out of curiosity. It's insane how good this game is. If there were shoddy port issues i would have been sorely disappointed.
Old 11-02-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by boston george
Cool, glad I could help. I'm gonna re-read the 1-Up review and see what it says out of curiosity. It's insane how good this game is. If there were shoddy port issues i would have been sorely disappointed.
This is what Jeremy Parish put in his review and I think Shane mentioned it on the podcast.
The original game is also included, but it's far from a perfect port -- Konami's Turbo Duo emulation suffers from awful sound and choppy gameplay, and the vivid graphics seem dull and lifeless on the PSP's screen. Which is odd, really, because the PSP normally makes bitmap graphics shine. Likewise the bonus game, a slightly reworked version of Symphony whose new additions almost make up for the shoddy quality of the programming...but not quite. Still, fans will want to check it out: Maria is playable now, and unlike her lousy Sega Saturn incarnation, she's now very much an adult version of the little kid in Rondo of Blood. Also, the game's script has been rewritten for the better, and the legendarily bad voice acting has been re-recorded...although some of the new characters actually sound worse in the revamp, making it something of a wash.
I still want to get this down the road, but having played both of the originals so recently it will have to wait till I catch up on new games.
Old 11-02-07, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished installing PSPVideo9 and I'm confused already ...

I closed the inital setup window at the step where it said to connect my PSP to my PC, since I wasn't ready to do that just yet, but when I reopened PSPVideo9 it no longer prompted me for setup. Is this going to cause a problem later? Also, there is no option for telling PSPvideo9 that my firmware version is 3.60 (in the setup). It only goes up to 3.50, which is what I ended up selecting. Again, is this going to cause a problem when I actually try to transfer video files?

Furthermore, when converting video files for PSP firmware 3.60, what converted file format/settings (profile) should I use? Which is most compatible and which will maintain the video file's original aspect ratio (adding black bars to the top and bottom of the video if the original video file is narrower than the PSP's screen)? I think it was using Fw2.80+ AVC 320x240 768kbps Stereo/128kbps.

And finally, does PSPVideo9 convert .mov files?
Old 11-03-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PSP Limited Edition Star Wars Entertainment Pack Bumdle w/Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
$199.99 + tax (in some states)/shipping via Frys/Outpost

11/2 - 11/7

http://shop4.outpost.com/%7BQl6psJwj...Homepage:Spot2
Old 11-03-07, 01:00 AM
Suspended

I got the God of War: Chains of Olympus Demo today and I had a blast playing it.

Anybody else get theirs?

Last edited by Harry Lime; 11-03-07 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-03-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
I got the God of War: Chains of Olympus Demo today and I had a blast playing it.

Anybody else get theirs?
I feel like the only person in the world that didn't get it. Maybe one day.
Old 11-03-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I still want to get this down the road, but having played both of the originals so recently it will have to wait till I catch up on new games.
Yeah, I skipped the Live and PSN versions of SotN (other than playing the demos) So I was super excited to play through it again on PSP.

For me the real star of DXC is the Rondo remake. I would love to see an original Classic-vania game for PSP in the same 2.5d as the Rondo remake.

The Metroid-vania, SotN style DS games are great too but we have plenty of them, but there's a shortage of the classic-style ones I crave.

Next Topic:

I picked up Disgaea PSP a couple days ago and it's a blast. I thought that after playing Jeanne D' Arc and Final Fantasy Tactics back-to-back I didn't know if I would be burnt out on SRPGs but apparently I'm not

I never played it on PS2 so that makes it even better, from what I hear this is the definitive version. If anyone else plans to pick this up I would also highly recommend the strategy guide. It's published by Double jump Books and it's the first guide I've ever read by the company. The artwork is so cool, along with tons of well organized info. What I like best about it is it's small size. It's a lot less cumbersome to use when you're trying to hold the game too.

Last edited by boston george; 11-11-07 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After getting more time in with Dracula X Chronicles, I can't say enough good things about Rondo of Blood. Like Pixy said, it's the pinnacle of the older-style Castlevania games. The exploration required to find every pathway and every stage is a lot of fun, and for the most part, it's challenging without being frustrating. Most of what you need to do to find these hidden areas is fairly logical, although I've run into one or two exceptions. Rondo also introduces many concepts that will be familiar to fans of SotN and the future "Metroidvania" games, including
Spoiler:
the concept of having to do something out of the ordinary to truly defeat the final boss and get the "good" ending.

The Rondo remake on its own would be worth $30. I haven't put in much time with the original version of Rondo, and since I never played the PCE version, I have no point of reference to judge its authenticity. I can say that the SotN port is great so far. The new dialogue is much less cheesy than in the original version, and it really does change the feel of the game. The original dialogue has its own charm, but this version seems to me to be more faithful to what the developers intended.
Old 11-09-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, it took me just under a couple of months, but I think I've completed my PSP "essential" game collection. Got all the fighting titles I wanted: Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Darkstalkers Chronicle, Guilty Gear: Judgment and Tekken: Dark Resurrection; Harder-to-find titles like Me and My Katamari and Gradius Collection; RPGs and dungeon crawlers like Jeanne D'Arc, FF Tactics, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Justice League Heroes. and Monster Hunter Freedom 1 and 2; and other must-haves like Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins, Killzone, and Castlevania. There are a few more I didn't mention. I'll probably top it off with Metal Slug Anthology and then I think I'm done until God of War: Chains of Olympus next March.
Old 11-09-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally got my God of War demo. Very impressive package. The demo crashed on me the first time through though. Not sure why, but it happened right after the part where you turn the wheel to open the gate and run through before it closes. I'll give it another run when I get time.
Old 11-11-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got Silent Hill: Origins tonight and played for a little while. O far I'm really impressed. This is classic Silent Hill. Creepy and immersive(sp?). The graphics are PS2 level. I'll post more about it when I get farther into it but I'd say it's a definite BUY for me at $29.99 (that's the most PSP games should be I think, but I don't complain too much about $40 games like Disgaea).
Old 11-12-07, 11:49 PM

I'm having problems with PSPVideo9 to.
I can't get it to work at all..
any other idea's??
Old 11-13-07, 06:58 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

PSP Slim Invisible Shield Review:

http://videogametalk.com/feature.php?ID=13
Old 11-15-07, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I chided a friend of mine to let me borrow his PSP so I could play the copy of Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology that he gave me months ago (or and something about a vampire game). First of all, I'm swiftly reminded of how much I disliked the original PSP design and in particular, his launch unit with the practically unusable d-pad. Secondly, Tales of the World is QUICKLY making me want to go out and buy my own PSP (again). I am in love with this game.. it's tailor-made for me. Accept quest, kill monsters, collect loot, repeat. I mean, I knew I would like it since I've had the previous two Tales of the World games for GBA import, but the quest system is a little harder to navigate with my limited Japanese. Plus, the PSP version has fun create-a-character and dress-up stuff, which is a big bonus to me.
Old 11-17-07, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I purchased the Star Wars Battlefront PSP slim that includes the Star Wars game along with Castlevania: Dracular X Chronicles and FF Tactics.

By Christmas time, I'm looking to purchase the following games: Jeanne D'Arc, Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology, GTA: Vice City Stories, Tekken Dark Resurrection and Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins.

I'm into RPG, Fighter, Adventure and Sports games. Any other "must have" games that I'm overlooking in those categories? Are the Final Fantasy I and II a must buy if I have them in the DS versions?

I'll appreciate any insight into this. Thanks
Old 11-17-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not that thrilled with Brave Story (one of the better reviewed PSP RPGs) so far (12 hrs in), so I recommend passing on that and waiting for some better RPG titles to come over. I don't know about the Tales game you mentioned. Jeanne D'Arc is excellent although it has some gameplay issues.

For FFI/II you should definitely read this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=517106
Old 11-18-07, 07:33 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I'm not that thrilled with Brave Story (one of the better reviewed PSP RPGs) so far (12 hrs in), so I recommend passing on that and waiting for some better RPG titles to come over. I don't know about the Tales game you mentioned. Jeanne D'Arc is excellent although it has some gameplay issues.

For FFI/II you should definitely read this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=517106
Tales is freakin' addictive. You should try it.

I agree with your assessment of Brave Story; it is decent. For what it is, it has some entertainment value as a straight forward RPG. But overall, it's far too generic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.