Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Why on earth would that be the case since it just plugs into the headphone jack and doesn't have the computer chip thing on the end like the remote?
It doesn't use the computer chip thing? Huh? Maybe it does work. I could have sworn I heard that it doesn't but maybe I'm remembering wrong? I wish I still had a set so I could try it out. I'll do some research.

BTW the new Slim headphones w/ remote look sweet. They've been re-designed. I don't know how much they cost at Wal-Mart but the cheapest I've seen them was at Fry's for $24.99 (ouch!). $29.99 at Gamestop.
Old 10-04-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ds6161
Just got the Daxter PSP slim bundle.. I'm new to the PSP so I need some recommendations...

battery & charger
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=330IB6PYOEQ5R
I have heard that Sony will probably release a new higher capcity batter for the slim pretty soon. But as I have no proof and this is the internet, take that with a grain of salt.
Old 10-04-07, 03:17 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In regards to a battery charger, I saw one in the store where it allows you to charge your battery up without having the need to plug it in. It said it could charge a battery up to 500 times. Has anyone use one of these? are they any good? It sounds pretty handy
Old 10-04-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I have heard that Sony will probably release a new higher capcity batter for the slim pretty soon. But as I have no proof and this is the internet, take that with a grain of salt.
You can technically use the current higher capacity batteries, but Sony needs to also release the promised larger batter cover since the battery sticks out a bit.

I do know that the battery in the slim will not work in the official Sony battery charger. I think they altered the battery design maybe because of the battery hacks.
Old 10-04-07, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Originally Posted by boston george
It doesn't use the computer chip thing? Huh? Maybe it does work. I could have sworn I heard that it doesn't but maybe I'm remembering wrong? I wish I still had a set so I could try it out. I'll do some research.
Gamespot's preview said they don't work. I haven't seen any definitive word since the new model came out. There's no new headset anywhere and you'd think there would be one available with Logan's Shadow this week and Battlefront out the next. It's entirely possible that they did something to make the plug itself different (like the new ipods did), but otherwise I don't know why it wouldn't work. I'll try it out tonight if I'm able and let you know...
Old 10-05-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
In regards to a battery charger, I saw one in the store where it allows you to charge your battery up without having the need to plug it in. It said it could charge a battery up to 500 times. Has anyone use one of these? are they any good? It sounds pretty handy
The Logic 3 battery pack I have acts like an ac adapter when plugged into my PSP. When it is depleted, the battery in the unit kicks in so you have basically double the playing time. In photo below:

Old 10-05-07, 04:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starving dvder
The Logic 3 battery pack I have acts like an ac adapter when plugged into my PSP. When it is depleted, the battery in the unit kicks in so you have basically double the playing time. In photo below:
Looks interesting, how long does the battery pack last for? how long does it take to charge?

The one I saw, was where you take the battery out and charge it in a seperate charger (without having the need to plug it into anything).
Old 10-09-07, 10:55 PM

I may pick up a new PSM slim. How does the games look when you out source it to the tv?
Old 10-10-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Anyone get the Star Wars Battlefront game yet? I'm curious about it. The reviews haven't been great, but it sounds like fun.
Old 10-10-07, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The GameSpot review was pretty decent actually. I don't think I'll get it though as it's primarily a multiplayer game, and I'm mainly looking for single player games to play while traveling.
Old 10-10-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So can anyone tell me why there hasn't yet been a price drop on the PSP version of Marvel Ultimate Alliance? I really want to get it, but it's at the same price it was when it first came out, even though the console versions have all received a price drop.
Old 10-10-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I looked on ebay as well, and it tends to go for $20+.

Btw, I found this incredibly irritating bug with Lego Star Wars 2. Basically, the game won't let you save on memory cards bigger than 2 gig. This has been acknowledged by the developers on their forums. Anyway, the workaround is to download a save from the net onto your memory card, and then the game will let you save over the top of that save, only. Pretty lame.
Old 10-11-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Yeah I looked on ebay as well, and it tends to go for $20+.

Btw, I found this incredibly irritating bug with Lego Star Wars 2. Basically, the game won't let you save on memory cards bigger than 2 gig. This has been acknowledged by the developers on their forums. Anyway, the workaround is to download a save from the net onto your memory card, and then the game will let you save over the top of that save, only. Pretty lame.
Good to know, as I was about to but LSWII before the end of the week, and the memory stick I bought for my PSP is a 4 GB. First the bugs in the DS version and now this with the PSP version ...

But where do I go to download the save file? Getting the save file to my memory card will be another problem, as the SW Slim PSP bundle I bought yesterday doesn't come with a USB cable to connect the PSP to my PC, and the 4 GB memory stick I have doesn't have a USB card reader for it included. Do they even make USB card readers for memory sticks?

Last edited by Yavin; 10-11-07 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-11-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are some save files available at PSP game sites, I found one the other day although I haven't downloaded it to try it out yet. The main thing that's stopped me so far is that these saves are usually there because they give you 100% unlocks. So I'm a bit concerned that, even if I overwrite the save game with my new game, everything will still be unlocked. Anyway, obviously I can delete all the save data if I have too (although I again wouldn't be able to save), so I might try it out sometime.

Talking about the bug some more, it's definitely a memory card issue, and nothing to do with the PSP slim. Also if you want to see some retarded customer support, I copied this guys post of a LucasArts customer service email from another forum:
Hello,

The game only supports 32MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, and 2GB memory sticks which have all proven to save in-game data correctly.

Your customer number is #######
Please refer to case #:: ####### if you have any further questions.

If you need further assistance, you can also reach us online at LucasArts.com | Support. Please include all previous replies when/if responding to this message.

Best Regards,
Katrina P at LucasArts Technical Support

How retarded is that? Btw, I also read on one of these message threads that Metal Gear Acid is also affected along with 2 other old games that the poster didn't mention. Anyway, based on my own experience I can say that at least Lumines 2 and Wipeout Pure do work with 4gb.

As for the cable thing, I can see why it would be annoying but luckily for me the PSP takes the same USB cable as my camera.
Old 10-11-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are any of the following games affected by the 'Can't save unless the memory stick is less than 2 GB' issue?

Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
Jeanne D'Arc
Justice League Heroes
Killzone: Liberation
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Me and My Katamari
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Street Figher Alpha 3 Max
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Old 10-11-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have that game and played it briefly, but, so briefly that I only passed the first level and haven't come back since to see that it hadn't saved.
Old 10-11-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I have a question about the analog nub on the new PSP slim. Mine looks like it's slightly off center. I.e., the nub is not dead center coming out of the hole in the faceplate. There's a slight bit more room to the lower left of it. Should I be concerned? Will it impact the analog control's degree of freedom or is it a non-issue?

I went to another store today and had a look at a couple of other PSP units (the SW bundle) and saw that on one the analog nub was positioned the same as on mine, and on another it seemed more dead center. I don't want to go through the hassle of taking mine back to the store for an exchange (I haven't opened it yet), especially if it turns out the one I already have is perfectly fine (no dead pixels) in every other respect.
Old 10-11-07, 01:22 PM

I would say my PSP Slim is dead center..
But in Daxter & Dungeon siege when I turn on the unit it always starts a game with the character doing a slow walk. All I have to do is move the movement circle around a little & it centers with the game
Old 10-11-07, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ds6161
I would say my PSP Slim is dead center..
But in Daxter & Dungeon siege when I turn on the unit it always starts a game with the character doing a slow walk. All I have to do is move the movement circle around a little & it centers with the game
Does the analog nub have a lot of degrees of movement? What I mean is, if mine has a little more room on the lower left of it, is that going to mean that I won't be able to move the analog control as much in the upper right direction (compared to if the analog stick was dead center coming out of the hole in the faceplate), due to it coming in contact with the faceplate?

Last edited by Yavin; 10-11-07 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
Are any of the following games affected by the 'Can't save unless the memory stick is less than 2 GB' issue?

Jeanne D'Arc
Me and My Katamari
I own those two and had no problem saving to a 4GB stick.
Old 10-11-07, 06:06 PM

the 2 games I have work as 1 speed. ie walk.
if a game has say move the nub a little = walk - move the nub a lot = run
then you might have a problem.
If all games are like my 2 you will be OK.

Of course I just got mine so what do I know.. I'm new to all this PSP stuff..
Old 10-12-07, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^^ Thanks for the info. I think I'll probably go back to the store this weekend to try and exchange mine for another unit. I haven't opened it yet, so hopefully they shouldn't give me a hassle.
Old 10-12-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Anyone get the Star Wars Battlefront game yet? I'm curious about it. The reviews haven't been great, but it sounds like fun.

it's extrememly easy, but if you liked the other games, you'll like this one. the only thing that kinda bothered me is that I can't be one of those CIS roller-bots from Star Wars episode 1. They took out everything that made the races unique
Old 10-15-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
Has anyone else been playing Final Fantasy Tactics? I'm not a fan of having random fights level up with you. It takes the fun out of leveling because you'll never be able to dominate enemies that once kicked your ass. But it looks like story driven fights do not level with you so they are easy. It feels unbalanced.
Old 10-15-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I found that to be a problem in the PS1 version. I remember at one point in the game it seemed that each random encounter was actually a real trial. I guess my party wasn't optimum enough but it was still tedious. Pity they didn't tweak it a bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.