Reload this Page >

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Old 08-16-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Re: The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Amazon still has the Go at ~200 (i think because it's still on sale at Walmart, though not Target anymore). But is it really true that the new Kingdom Hearts game is UMD only?
Old 08-20-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 832 Likes on 612 Posts

Anyone else pick up Ys? I'm only about 2 hours in so far but the boss battles are epic. Seems like an amazing game so far.
Old 08-20-10, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I really want to buy it. Only reason I haven't is that I have Persona and Lunar still unfinished and I assume Ys will always be on the PSN store.
Old 08-20-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noonan
Anyone else pick up Ys? I'm only about 2 hours in so far but the boss battles are epic. Seems like an amazing game so far.
Naturally. It is an amazing game, I'm so glad it came out in English.

I'll be writing a review on it, but I've been trying to finish DQ9 (pretty damn sure I'm at the end) before starting Ys.. but I can't seem to NOT get distracted by all the cool quests and such, so I may have to give up on it and run through Ys again to write the review.
Old 08-20-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 832 Likes on 612 Posts

I ended up downloading it through PSN (first game I've done that with). I was surprised by how small of a file it was. Only about 480mb.

Can't wait to dive into it this weekend.
Old 08-20-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's actually a relief because I think my 8 gig stick has just a bit over 500 mb left.
Old 09-08-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Played the God of War: Ghost of Sparta demo tonight. It was good, damn good. Glad that we still get to have some more Kratos fun even after GOW3...
Old 09-09-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was planning to pick up VC2 in downloadable form in anticipation of picking up a PSP Go on clearance someday... but the physical copy is on sale at Kmart this week for 25 bucks (and Kingdom Hearts comes with a $10 coupon off your next gaming purchase) so I picked up the UMD version.

Last edited by fujishig; 09-09-10 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-16-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided give the PSP some time after ignoring it for a few months and picked up Valkyria Chronicles II. So far I am loving it. I'm one of those people that got completely frustrated with the giant tank map in chapter 7 on the first Valkyria and stopped playing it, but this game so far has seemed much better balanced. Hopefully there isn't a screwed up map waiting for me, but if so the game also has an easy mode though so far it seems good on normal. I also picked up Persona 3 portable. I didn't think I could play through this again after putting in so many hours on the PS2 one, but I'm already getting hooked to the new additions. I also picked up Birth by Sleep, but haven't even opened that one yet. The PSP still has a lot of good software out there. I also preordered Knights in the Nightmare. That was one I missed on the DS from developer Sting and they give you a free digital copy of Sting's decent Yggdra Union with the game.
Old 10-16-10, 11:17 PM

Picked up a white Go from Sam's Club on clearance for $129.
Old 10-18-10, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darkside
I decided give the PSP some time after ignoring it for a few months and picked up Valkyria Chronicles II. So far I am loving it. I'm one of those people that got completely frustrated with the giant tank map in chapter 7 on the first Valkyria and stopped playing it, but this game so far has seemed much better balanced. Hopefully there isn't a screwed up map waiting for me, but if so the game also has an easy mode though so far it seems good on normal. I also picked up Persona 3 portable. I didn't think I could play through this again after putting in so many hours on the PS2 one, but I'm already getting hooked to the new additions. I also picked up Birth by Sleep, but haven't even opened that one yet. The PSP still has a lot of good software out there. I also preordered Knights in the Nightmare. That was one I missed on the DS from developer Sting and they give you a free digital copy of Sting's decent Yggdra Union with the game.
I didn't play through much more than the tutorial in Knights in the Nightmare on the DS, but I seem to remember the stylus playing a pretty big role in the gameplay... any idea how well they adapted it to the PSP?
Old 11-08-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I picked up a Go during the 2 day Best Buy sale. Form factor is nice, but I'd really like to hear the thoughts of someone who has never owned a PSP before... I'm already biased against it because my entire UMD collection is useless on the thing, and they keep on releasing UMDs; why not have some mail in upc offer to buy the downloads at a discount, at least for games released after the Go came out? Ugh.

In addition to that:
1) Turned it on, it's low on battery, so I plug it in. Before I can even access the Playstation store, I need to download an update. The update takes some time to download, then can't install because the battery is too low. Frustrating.
2) Once that's all figured out, I go to download some games I had bought previously. No background downloading of games? You're pretty much stuck there for half an hour or more waiting for a game to download every single time?

The form factor is nice, but I have yet to even play a single game on it.
Old 11-08-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It does look pretty sweet. I've only seen one in person once but I felt some envy.

1) This is true for any PSP model I believe. It sux.
2) If you have a PS3 you can background download the games there and transfer by USB which is relatively quick and painless. I've never actually downloaded something directly to my PSP. Plus I only have an 8 gig sony memory card for my PSP-2000 so it makes it easier to rotate games without having to redownload them.

From now, even as a non-Go owner, I don't plan to buy any more UMDs. I was never hugely invested in the format anyway, I own about 8 UMD games. Being able to buy stuff like basically arcade perfect Guilty Gear for $5 on PSN is just awesome. There's lots of pretty good stuff on there now too and the sales aren't bad.
Old 11-08-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Go is a sexy piece of hardware for sure but yeah, the whole UMD thing makes it close to useless, unfortunately.

Some new games don't get put on PSN.. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, for instance.

Also, pre-PSN game that probably would have been added never were retroactively, what if I wanted to replay Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (which, for the record works very well off of the memory stick but atrociously on disc). I probably wouldn't even mind doing a UPC plus small fee to get some of my collection on stick now that I no longer use custom firmware.
Old 11-08-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem with the update/battery thing is that the PSP Go is useless without the store.

Also, I have a PS3 as well and thought about mentioning that downloading through there was an option, but the bottom line is that you shouldn't need a PS3 to address this... is there a way to download onto a computer and transfer?

And I forgot to mention the entirely new form of memory stick for the Go... thanks Sony!

I've tried to resist buying UMD games (see my earlier post about VC2) but the fact is that you can find the UMD games on sale or used. In fact, I just picked a few up (Persona Portable and Y's 7) during the amazon B2G1F deal, before I even thought about getting a Go. After I got the Go, I contemplated getting the new GoW PSP game at the Target B2G1F, but decided against it because it's still on UMD. So I'll either wait for a pricedrop in the store for it, or wait for a deep clearance. It actually prevented me from buying their game. And then there's the Kingdom Hearts fiasco...
Old 11-08-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed. They're getting better about dropping prices and doing sales on PSN. I love having my library at instant access so I've stopped buying disc games except for Kingdom Hearts obviously. I may rebuy a few games (just Castlevania X, Gurumin and Half-Minute Hero) based on if I can sell the discs and make the upgrades cheap ($5 out of my pocket would be ideal, I guess).

I have a sweet store near me that offers kill credit, I could probably take the discs there and get a PSN card or two to pull it off.
Old 11-08-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The problem with the update/battery thing is that the PSP Go is useless without the store.

Also, I have a PS3 as well and thought about mentioning that downloading through there was an option, but the bottom line is that you shouldn't need a PS3 to address this... is there a way to download onto a computer and transfer?

And I forgot to mention the entirely new form of memory stick for the Go... thanks Sony!

I've tried to resist buying UMD games (see my earlier post about VC2) but the fact is that you can find the UMD games on sale or used. In fact, I just picked a few up (Persona Portable and Y's 7) during the amazon B2G1F deal, before I even thought about getting a Go. After I got the Go, I contemplated getting the new GoW PSP game at the Target B2G1F, but decided against it because it's still on UMD. So I'll either wait for a pricedrop in the store for it, or wait for a deep clearance. It actually prevented me from buying their game. And then there's the Kingdom Hearts fiasco...
I owned a Go for nearly a year before trading it in. Nice hardware that has been virtually completely abandoned by Sony. The latest 2 day sale at Best Buy was nothing more than the next step in clearing inventory in the retail channel.
Old 11-08-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig

I thought about picking up an extra one at Best Buy this weekend, but time got away from me.

However, yes, you can download on your computer using the Media Go software. There should be a CD in your PSP Go box with it on there. The Media Go links to your Playstation Store account and you can download all your PSP stuff onto there and then transfer over using the USB cable.

I really like the Go after having had the PSP-2000 for quite some time. I only wish I could play upside down while laying on the couch or bed, but other than missing out on Kingdom Hearts... I think it's great. However, Sony did say they would never do a digital only PSP again.
Old 11-08-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Skip the CD and download Media Go from the website: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...efault_enu.asp (it's probably newer than what would be on the CD)
Old 11-15-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, Sony...
So I went ahead and picked up some accessories for my new PSP Go, since they're on clearance at Target.

Opened the cradle, and it includes... a cradle. No plugs, no nothing. I don't think I've ever bought a dock that doesn't come with a plug. So if I used the plug that came with my PSP Go, I can use the cradle to... charge the Go, which is pretty much what the plug does by itself.

But wait, you can use the dock to connect to a TV! Oh, wait, even after you spend another 30 bucks on another connector, you can't use that and the plug at the same time. You CAN use an older PSP plug to power it, but that would mean that the user either buys that separately, or has an old PSP and presumably has a bunch of UMD games that can't be loaded onto the new system.

This thing retails for 30 bucks or so, they couldn't have included an older PSP plug?
Old 11-20-10, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,883 Likes on 4,017 Posts

Man, I'm just floored by how great God Of War : Ghost of Sparta actually is. It looks amazing, has a very respectable frame rate and controls like a dream (it helps that you never adjust the camera in a GoW game anyway). It's easy to forget you're playing this on a portable. It's really, really superb.
Old 11-21-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Man, I'm just floored by how great God Of War : Ghost of Sparta actually is. It looks amazing, has a very respectable frame rate and controls like a dream (it helps that you never adjust the camera in a GoW game anyway). It's easy to forget you're playing this on a portable. It's really, really superb.
Agreed, I look forward to continuing that on my Thanksgiving plane ride. The God of War games are the biggest reason I even own a PSP.
Old 11-22-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 410 Likes on 279 Posts

Agreed, GOW Ghost is one of the best PSP game ive played.

Last edited by stingermck; 11-22-10 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-22-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,883 Likes on 4,017 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Agreed, GOW Chains is one of the best PSP game ive played.
Chains was great, but Ghost of Sparta completely blows it out of the water. It's much, much better.
Old 11-22-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 410 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Chains was great, but Ghost of Sparta completely blows it out of the water. It's much, much better.
Shit, I meant Ghost

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.