Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Super Swing is Pangya, which was also known as Albatross 18 online in the U.S. so it's essentially the same game only the PSP version has online capability. Pangya Season 4 launched about a month ago online (As Pangya in the U.S.). It's completely free so if you enjoy the PSP version or Super Swing, you should definitely play the MMO version.
Old 08-12-09, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, might have to check out the MMO...
Old 08-19-09, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_D
I'd rather just have Persona 3/4 on PSP instead. But, I hope you guys buy enough copies to support that .
Looks like your wish just came true:

Persona 3 portable announced, adds new character

Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, baby!

Persona 3 is going portable, jumping from the PlayStation 2 to the PSP. This was confirmed in the latest Famitsu, who also says that there will be a new main character -- a female. In the scan, you can see this main character as well as what appears to be a female persona. We're with Siliconera in saying that this looks like a female Orpheus. I don't know what all of this is about, but I hope a sex change was not involved.

So that's great: a portable Persona 3 is coming, following up the excellent (and upcoming) Persona 1. But where the hell is Persona 2? I've been daydreaming of getting both parts of the Persona 2 story on one UMD. I think they're holding out on us.

As far as Persona 3 Portable is concerned, there's no other details or release dates. I'd say that you can be pretty sure that Atlus USA is going to pick this one up for us.

[Update: Phoenix Gamma sends us a second scan. It doesn't tell us much, but it looks cool! I see the telemarketer guy in there. Oh, and Coffeesash made us this P3P logo based on the scan.]

[Update 2: Destructoid's Unloved Krow sends us a new scan, this time showing both the male and female main characters. Also, a release date of November 1st is given for Japan.]

[Update 3: Kotaku reports that you will be able to control all your party members manually.]

http://www.destructoid.com/persona-3...r-144717.phtml
Old 08-20-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I'll be all over Persona 3. The PSP is the perfect device for these games. I also read that they'll be adding square button support so you can move around quickly between areas.
Old 09-04-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kingdom Hearts: Birf by Sleep website.
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/kingdom/bbs/
Old 09-04-09, 10:53 AM

So I just grabbed a refurb PSP 3000 from Sony for $100. Grabbed God of War and am playing that.

What other games (back catalog stuff cheap on eBay) should I look into?
Old 09-04-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jamieson22
So I just grabbed a refurb PSP 3000 from Sony for $100. Grabbed God of War and am playing that.

What other games (back catalog stuff cheap on eBay) should I look into?
Hard to say without knowing what specific genres you're into. I do the same thing whenever I get a console, try and track down the best/rarest/oop games for the system.

Some of the back-catalog items I personally have picked up are:

- Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
- Gradius Collection
- Guilty Gear Judgment
- Gurumin
- Me & My Katamari
- Monster Hunter Freedom
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (or go with the newer MHF: Unite, which is the same game, but enhanced)
- Street Fighter Alpha Max 3
- Tekken: Dark Resurrection
- Ultimate Ghosts and Goblins

Can't remember any more off the top of my head.
Old 09-04-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Picked up Final Fantasy Dissidia. People that aren't FF fans are naturally going to hate it, and even I'm tiring of the dialogue and nonsensical posturing already. I'm still adapting to the fighting mechanics, and I wouldn't necessarily call the system super deep, but it's still really impressive for the PSP. It's got a ton of grinding, though, and rewards if you play every day, if you play a lot, and you choose one day of the week where you always get bonuses, so it's like the OCD gamer's dream come true.

First time I've seen an optional install on a PSP game... I decided to go with the biggest one to cut down on load times, and it's half a gig.
Old 09-09-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, wondering if anyone can help me figure out a problem I'm having with my PSP slim (specifically, the battery).

I haven't used it in over a year and a half (yes, that's right!) and the battery was only charged once the first time. Silly me, I never removed the battery from the PSP after the first charge, but I guess from physical inspection the battery seems ok.

The problem is that when I plug in the AC adapter the orange "charging" indicator doesn't go on. Nothing. When the AC adapter is plugged in and the battery is in the PSP, I can turn it on fine (though the battery status reads as "-" and the power is "external"), it's just that it doesn't seem to know there's a battery in there and doesn't want to charge it.

Any ideas? Would restoring the PSP to default settings do anything? I hope the battery doesn't need replacement, since for all intents and purposes it was never used. In contrast, my DS charged just fine, and I haven't used it in ages either ...
Old 09-12-09, 06:24 AM

Unfortunately you will have to buy a replacement battery as I had that exact same problem with my old PSP battery. It just wouldn't charge, however it would turn on and play etc while the charger was hooked up.

Heres a list of some deals on PSP Slim Battery's - http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories
Old 09-12-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Thanks -- this sucks, because I never even used the PSP since I bought it. Charged it once to test it out, had no time for it, chucked it away. Bought games in the interim. Took it out last week, and the battery wouldn't charge.
Old 09-12-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

^ that's exactly why it won't keep it's charge - the less you use a battery (the less you charge and recharge it), the less it will keep it's charge. This sort of thing varies in battery types, but it does affect PSP batteries in particular.
Old 09-13-09, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin
^ Thanks -- this sucks, because I never even used the PSP since I bought it. Charged it once to test it out, had no time for it, chucked it away. Bought games in the interim. Took it out last week, and the battery wouldn't charge.
Your welcome. Hopefully you end up finding a cheap deal on a battery, while it be in stores, or online..
Old 09-16-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like some retailers are starting to refuse to stock the PSPGo for obvious lack-of-return customer reasons: http://edge-online.com/news/leading-...-selling-pspgo

Leading Dutch retailer Nedgame has announced that it won’t be selling PSPgo when the new handheld launches on October 1.

While the company will continue to support existing PSP models, it says that the drawbacks of the UMD-free PSPgo include its €249 price point, as well as its inability to support physical media and hence game trade-ins and second hand sales.

The front page of Nedgame’s website features a detailed explanation of the company’s decision not to stock PSPgo. According to a Google translation, it reads: “We hope you understand our decision. Most gamers still want a box and booklet in their game, or at least the choice between a physical product or a download. The PSP GO! Sony cut the consumer choice and thus creates a monopoly on the PSP GO! game sales. We see this as a very bad development for both the consumer and the retailer.”

Eurogamer is also reporting that other Dutch retailers have opted to shun the PSPgo and that some Spanish retailers may follow suit.

While the PSPgo is expected to be sold at all major game retail outlets across the UK, independent chains like Chips and Grainger Games have expressed concerns about the viability of stocking the new handheld.
Old 09-16-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, it's not skin off their dicks since the markup on that stuff is minuscule - they only make about $5-10 for each system they sell.

PSPgo is just a bad idea all around.
Old 09-18-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh God. Ys SEVEN is out. *hyperventilates*

I'm trying to decide if I should spit the $60 for the import because I have a good feeling it's coming out here.
Old 09-18-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Oh God. Ys SEVEN is out. *hyperventilates*

I'm trying to decide if I should spit the $60 for the import because I have a good feeling it's coming out here.
You should definatly buy it. If for no other reason that to ensure that it comes state side for the rest of us.
Old 09-18-09, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush
You should definatly buy it. If for no other reason that to ensure that it comes state side for the rest of us.
Too bad that didn't work for Retro Game Challenge 2
Old 09-18-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Too bad that didn't work for Retro Game Challenge 2
Ah, yeah.

I don’t know, maybe it’ll still happen. XSEED had stupid expectations for sales.

I mean, Atlus picked up Shiren 3 after Sega thought Shrien DS didn’t meet their whatever they had in mind for it.

Edit: The localization for RGC, while it might not be apparent on the surface, was massive and it's much larger in the sequel.
Old 09-18-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I imagine the localization was intense. There's a lot of faux magazines and writer/editor names to parody, not to mention all the dialog between the kids.
Old 09-18-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

So did they ever say what their fix would be for PSP UMD onwers who buy a PSP Go? They had talked about getting a downloadable version of your games but I never heard a definitive word.

, but the PSP Go seems like the worst gaming idea in a hell of a long time. Makes the $100 PS2 HDD look like Wii Fit by comparison.
Old 09-18-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's time for my semi-annual desire to sell off my PSP! I haven't touched the thing at all this year except for small sessions of LocoRoco 2, Patapon 2, and Rock Band: Unplugged, and I think I might finally bite the bullet and get rid of it.

Are there any great games on the horizon for the PSP that I'm not aware of? I feel like there's almost nothing on its release schedule.
Old 09-18-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ys SEVEN is the reason I kept mine.

Plus, Holy Invasion of Privacy, Thirty Second Hero and PSP Minis.
Old 09-18-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Jak & Daxter might be cool. New Kingdom Hearts game. Gran Tourismo Portable.

That's all that springs to mind immediately.

I assume there will be some cool new downloadable games coinciding with the launch of the PSP Go that I believe would also work for the PSP as well, but don't know that for sure.
Old 09-18-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuckin' A. How did I forget Birth By Sleep?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.