Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official PSP Thread - Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 05:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Meltdown is a MUCH better game. It's more user friendly and a lot more fun. You made the right choice there.
I played Archer McLean's Mercury, and I've played Meltdown, and thus far, I prefer McLean's. Different strokes, I guess.
Old 09-11-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
PSP Video 9 is free and works very well.
PSP 9 works great. Every time I show somebody movies on it playing off my memory stick, they are just blown away with the visual quality you get with it.
Old 09-11-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife saw a video I converted with it and told me she wanted a PSP too.
Old 09-11-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
...Unfortunately, I will have to get mine at GameStop (store credit) and endure an on slot of "you really do need the extended warranty for this" with my response of "why would I need an extended warranty? Is the hardware poorly made?" receiving blank stares.
And a good response would be..."Of course it's a good product, however don't you thing if the manufacture believed more in their own product, they would give you more than 90 days on the warranty?"
Old 09-11-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Firmware 3.7 is out for the PSP. Biggest addition is the themes, but the cookie theme? Seriously? Japan also got a pink theme.

I guess the pink theme will look pretty good on my sparkling silver PSP.

Last edited by darkside; 09-11-07 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-11-07, 09:02 PM
Banned by request

I'll have to download that tonight.
Old 09-12-07, 12:56 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Firmware 3.7 is out for the PSP. Biggest addition is the themes, but the cookie theme? Seriously? Japan also got a pink theme.

I guess the pink theme will look pretty good on my sparkling silver PSP.

Is there a way that I can download this firmware version (i'm assuming it's an official release from Sony?) onto my pc first and then apply it to my psp?
Old 09-12-07, 01:04 AM

You should be able to, but checking online, the most recent version to download is 3.52.

edit: from slipperybrick.com The new version does not appear to be available quite yet through Sony’s Playstation web site but should be available soon as the update is available through the PSP’s Network Update feature.

-----------------------------

Is anyone else having problems with the new system shutting down and restarting if you turn it off during movie playback? For me, this is a big problem since I often use the system as a movie player. If the firmware update doesn't help, I'll be taking the system bact to CC for a replacement.
Old 09-12-07, 10:06 AM

Is anyone else having problems with the new system shutting down and restarting if you turn it off during movie playback? For me, this is a big problem since I often use the system as a movie player. If the firmware update doesn't help, I'll be taking the system back to CC for a replacement.
Turns out the update fixed the video playback problem for me, apparently. That cookie theme is pretty damn funny. Where do we get more?
Old 09-12-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Turns out the update fixed the video playback problem for me, apparently. That cookie theme is pretty damn funny. Where do we get more?
They have a contest going right now in Japan and Sony has said they will start adding themes to the website. Firmware 3.71 is on the way as well.

I'm using the Disgaea wallpaper along with the pink theme and it looks pretty awesome. The Pink icons match and go great with the black background.

Old 09-12-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So let me get this straight (and please forgive the newbie question), but I can just plug the Sony memory stick into my PC and download PSP firmware updates from the Sony site, and then plug the memory stick into the PSP slim to upgrade the firmware? And there is no risk of bricking the system by installing firmware updates this way? I'm used to the DS, which has no firmware updates to speak of.
Old 09-12-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
It would probably be easier to just connect the PSP to the computer with a USB cable and update it that way. I haven't heard of any reports of PSP's getting bricked by updates. Same with the PS3.
Old 09-12-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
It would probably be easier to just connect the PSP to the computer with a USB cable and update it that way. I haven't heard of any reports of PSP's getting bricked by updates. Same with the PS3.
Sounds good. I'm eagerly anticipating the release of the Vader ceramic white PSP bundle now. I'll start picking up some nice games on the cheap in the weeks to come, to prepare for its impending arrival.
Old 09-12-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been trying to decide if I want to get the Vader pack or the Daxter pack. I think I've decided on the Daxter pack. For the same price you get a 1gig stick and the Family Guy disc. Since you need a memory stick, that makes the overall cost of the Vader pack more. Pending reviews, I'll probably want the SW game that comes in the Vader bundle but Daxter got very good reviews and I've heard that it's a must-have for PSP owners.
Old 09-12-07, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Daxter is worth owning and the memory is a must. The Vader pack looks nice, but I really like the look of the silver and I can always get the new Star Wars game separately.
Old 09-12-07, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Yavin
So let me get this straight (and please forgive the newbie question), but I can just plug the Sony memory stick into my PC and download PSP firmware updates from the Sony site, and then plug the memory stick into the PSP slim to upgrade the firmware? And there is no risk of bricking the system by installing firmware updates this way? I'm used to the DS, which has no firmware updates to speak of.
You can absolutely do it that way. All the wireless update does is download the update to the memory stick and then you press X to install it. You can do the same thing by downloading off the internet and then transferring the data onto your memory stick. I don't think there's any more or less risk of bricking you PSP one way or the other. Just make sure the battery is fully charged and for God's sake, don't turn the system off during the process. And as I noted above, online the 3.7 update isn't available yet, but should be soon.

Darkside, where did you get the pink theme? It wasn't in my update (only the cookies were).
Old 09-12-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the Vader PSP, but I have no idea how good the SW game will be. Daxter is an A+ title, Family Guy is a nice toss in and you get a much needed 1GB stick.

Really can't beat that for $200.
Old 09-12-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can absolutely do it that way. All the wireless update does is download the update to the memory stick and then you press X to install it. You can do the same thing by downloading off the internet and then transferring the data onto your memory stick. I don't think there's any more or less risk of bricking you PSP one way or the other. Just make sure the battery is fully charged and for God's sake, don't turn the system off during the process. And as I noted above, online the 3.7 update isn't available yet, but should be soon.

Darkside, where did you get the pink theme? It wasn't in my update (only the cookies were).
Japanese site, but the UK site has updated with it and a few more.

http://uk.playstation.com/home/news/...ail/item78695/

Cookies
Classy Pink
Lemmings
WipEout
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 1
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 2
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 3
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 4
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 5
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice - 6
Old 09-13-07, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

3.71 is available.

"A correction has been made to the settings for some regions."

No biggie.

Last edited by darkside; 09-13-07 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-13-07, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone know of any new accessories like cases for the PSP slim?
Old 09-13-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the cookie theme....I upgraded as I don't care about homebrew. The PSP is basically a big MP3 player at work for me.

I want more themes now....fun stuff.
Old 09-13-07, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With the new slimline model, and Silent Hill: Origins coming soon, I'm thinking of taking the dive on a new PSP soon. I wouldn't mind a JRPG or 2 to play on the go, but I gather that many of the PSP RPGs so far have been mediocre. Does any one here have any that they like in particular?
Old 09-13-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree that the Daxter bundle seems to offer more value overall, but I just need that Ceramic White Vader-themed PSP! I am hell-bent on getting it; if anything, the color scheme will make a nice complement to my DS.
Old 09-13-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Brave Story has been getting decent reviews if you're looking for a straight forward turn-based JRPG. I'll probably be picking it up when I buy the system. If you've never played it I'd check out the remake of Final Fantasy. That's a game that every RPG player should go through at least once.
Old 09-13-07, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_D
With the new slimline model, and Silent Hill: Origins coming soon, I'm thinking of taking the dive on a new PSP soon. I wouldn't mind a JRPG or 2 to play on the go, but I gather that many of the PSP RPGs so far have been mediocre. Does any one here have any that they like in particular?

Cute and fun. Cheap also ($20).

And if you like tactics stlye RPG of course, get

Last edited by Decker; 09-13-07 at 09:44 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.