DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/480281-world-warcraft-official-thread-round-3-a.html)

Bacon 08-28-19 09:54 AM

Re: World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13599340)
I loved Vanilla WoW, but I'll be damned if I'd go back to the slow and forever and a day to get mounts, and crap gear and impossible to get together raids. That being said I haven't played since Mists, so.....

if they'd ditch the current UI and talent trees and give us the option to play the pre-Cat zones it would be great but the current UI makes the game too easy

DaveNinja 08-28-19 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bacon (Post 13599473)
if they'd ditch the current UI and talent trees and give us the option to play the pre-Cat zones it would be great but the current UI makes the game too easy

Its all back to the original UI. People actually have to read quests again and look at the map!

joeblow69 08-28-19 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 13599538)
Its all back to the original UI. People actually have to read quests again and look at the map!

Yeah, but there are a couple of good quest tracking addons like Questie or ClassicCodex that will show you exactly where to go on the map. By default, ClassicCodex actually auto accepts quests so you can't even read them if you want to!

joeblow69 08-29-19 07:20 PM

I've got my warlock up to level 14 now, and I AM enjoying it, but if there's one thing that might kill this for me, it's competing for mobs with other players, and sitting around waiting for them to respawn. I don't remember it being this bad back in the day, and I hope things will settle down a bit as more people give up the long grind.

Noonan 08-30-19 07:32 AM

Does Blizzard have any plans to "expand" on Classic? Or is it more or less an event that will be over once people reach lvl60?

Like, will they start to re-introduce old patches to Classic with its content?

joeblow69 08-30-19 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Noonan (Post 13600552)
Does Blizzard have any plans to "expand" on Classic? Or is it more or less an event that will be over once people reach lvl60?

Like, will they start to re-introduce old patches to Classic with its content?

All the patches up through Naxramass are coming, in 6 different phases. What happens after that, is anyone's guess.
  • Phase 1 (Classic Launch): Molten Core, Onyxia, Maraudon
  • Phase 2: Dire Maul, Azuregos, Kazzak
  • Phase 3: Blackwing Lair, Darkmoon Faire, Darkmoon deck drops begin
  • Phase 4: Zul'Gurub, Green Dragons
  • Phase 5: Ahn’Qiraj War Effort begins, Ahn’Qiraj raids open when the war effort dictates, Dungeon loot reconfiguration (Tier 0.5 Dungeon gear, Relics, drop rates and location changes)
  • Phase 6: Naxxramas, Scourge Invasion

DaveNinja 08-30-19 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 13600396)
I've got my warlock up to level 14 now, and I AM enjoying it, but if there's one thing that might kill this for me, it's competing for mobs with other players, and sitting around waiting for them to respawn. I don't remember it being this bad back in the day, and I hope things will settle down a bit as more people give up the long grind.

It was like that back in the day. Lots of sitting around waiting for spawns and seeing who could tag them first. It sucked as a warlock since people could steal mobs you tagged with corruption if they did damage before the first tick.

joeblow69 08-30-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DaveNinja (Post 13600664)
It was like that back in the day. Lots of sitting around waiting for spawns and seeing who could tag them first. It sucked as a warlock since people could steal mobs you tagged with corruption if they did damage before the first tick.

Must have been when I started, it was enough time after launch that the initial leveling areas weren't as crowded. I'm having fun still, though, and enjoying the "take it slow" approach. No point rushing to the end.

K&AJones 11-04-19 06:26 AM

Hello All

Well after looking and thinking about giving this a try I finally DL the Free Trial Version (up to Level 20) yesterday.....I kept asking myself why the pull and attraction to a cartoonish game is beyond me...and was still asking it after 5 hrs of playing....

I spent an hour before loading in just to look at Races & Classes....I ended up going with Draenei as a Elemental Sharman.....I like multi-useful Characters that can do a bit of everything, Heal, Elemental, Hack; almost went with a Paladine in that area though I liked the Hunter and Warlock. I'm still all thumbs since I really haven't done PC & KB in a long time. I've done Xbox Games on PC but I use a older 360 Controller....can you use a controller in WoW or do you miss out on so many key assignments?

I like it so far though I've barely scratched the surface.....called it a night after hitting Level 8. but I have some questions if some can answer them be much appreciated...

Right now I have like 4-5 abilities...do they get stronger as you level up or is there "add-ons" like in your armor that helps? I don't even have all my clothes/armor stuff with only half....all of it is "White" which I assume you get the 'White, Green, Blue, Purple, Gold" stuff later with attributes and all.

Professions…...my Home has all these Profession Trainers all over but some I've never seen in other games......engineer, bandages but there's Mining, Alchemy, Herbs, etc....my Race has a +10 in Gem crafting but I cannot even find the Trainer......besides Gem Crafting is there like one or two I should get into later or even at this stage? This is like the professions in Elder Scrolls which I had all of them but there's more here.

Right now to get around far I'm using the Rent-A-Ride with a Big Bird....but I've seen a lot of other characters with Rides...is that something that becomes available later?

Stash...my tiny little bag is already an issue an I try to empty it when I can. Is there not a "Main Stash" for your character....like a chest in Diablo to house spare stuff? And I see it's already telling me I can Buy More Space....advice here and later?

And finally just general tips and all...even with the Free 20 level Trial like maybe trying another Character Race and Class....

joeblow69 11-04-19 09:00 AM

Abilities get stronger automatically. You used to have to go back to your class trainer and buy higher levels of your abilities, but they got rid of that a while ago, and now you get the higher levels automatically when you level up.

The gem trainer should be in Exodar, the giant ship home town of the draenai. You might not have gotten there yet at level 8. You'll know it when you see it, it's huge, just ask a guard where the gem trainer is (Professions -> Jewelcrafting). If you are going to take jewelcrafting, the usual profession to take with that is mining. That's where the majority of gems come from. Otherwise you will need to buy all your gems from the auction house.

Btw, I wouldn't take jewelcrafting specifically because draenai have a +jewelcrafting bonus. That just means that it's a little easier to level that profession than others. If you want to do gems, that's great! but other options are leatherworking/skinning (to make your own armor) or herbalism/alchemy (to make potions) or engeineering/mining (to make cool gadgets and bombs). Enchanting is a tough profession to level but a lot of people pair it with tailoring to make it a little easier.

You can only have 2 main professions, but you can (and should) take all 3 secondary professions (cooking, fishing, and first aid). You get your first mount at level 40, and a faster one at level 60. Lucky for you, Shaman get an ability called ghost wolf early on, that is like a mount. You turn into a wolf and can run faster. Not as fast as the 40 mount, but it definitely speeds things up for you. I think you get that at level 14 or 20.

There is a bank in every capitol city. The banks are all interconnected, so if you put stuff in one, it will be available in any capitol city's bank. Look in the exodar for one. (or ask a guard). You should be able to buy some extra bags for cheap on the auction house (also in every capitol city). Bags are in the "container" category on the auction house. Otherwise, you can take tailoring as a profession, and make your own bags. Now that I think of it though, free accounts might not be able to use the Auction House, so you might have to just hope that some bags drop off enemies (which does happen a lot in the starter areas). There are some quests that reward bags as well.

K&AJones 11-04-19 09:48 AM

Thank you very much...some good stuff to know...since I'm just in the Starter Version, can I try other Characters/Classes? Also do the items you get, can you swap between other Characters or they binding to the one who picks them up?...and thanks for the Profession tips....makes sense to combine two that sort of work together which is why I asked if you can swap items with other characters like Leather Working if you have 2-3 that all wear cloth/leather.

joeblow69 11-04-19 10:18 AM

So armor/weapons that you get from quests are generally soulbound to the character that completes the quest. You will see the word "soulbound" on the item under the item name, I think. That means only that character can use it. I believe this only happens for green and higher items. White and grey you can share between characters. Armor/weapons that drop off enemies are usually marked "bind on equip" which means you can freely send them to other characters, as long as you don't equip them first. Once you equip them, they become soulbound. Items that drop off bosses are an exception to this, and are usually bound to you as soon as you pick them up.

The easiest way to swap items between characters is to just simply use the mailbox to send it. However, I believe starter accounts can't use the mailbox. (not sure on that though). The reason the starter accounts are so limited on what they can do is to stop chinese accounts from driving people crazy with gold buying scams and stuff like that.

You should be able to try out most characters/classes with exception of death knights, they start at level 55, and you can't create one until you have your own character at level 55.

One thing that a lot of people do with alts, is make an alt as a profession "gatherer" and make their main character a profession "producer". Which means, on their main, they would take 2 professions like leatherworking and alchemy. Normally, you'd pair those with skinning and herbalism, respectively. Without those gathering professions, you'd have to buy all the materials to level them on the auction house. Then they'd create an alt character with skinning and herbalism. So whenever they need leather or herbs to level their main professions, they'd get their alt out and go gather those materials and send them to their main. Obviously, if the mailbox isn't available on starter accounts, this won't work.

nickdawgy 11-04-19 02:28 PM

Don’t you get your first mount at 20 now or did they change that?

joeblow69 11-04-19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy (Post 13634900)
Don’t you get your first mount at 20 now or did they change that?

It could be ... it's been a while since I've leveled from 1 ... and the last time I did I used the Heirloom mount you can use from level 1.

K&AJones 11-05-19 05:02 AM

I hit Level 10 and got some new stuff and telling me "Battlegrounds" is opened....but where I am I don't see any quest markers and only thing I can do is skin and work on Leather Crafting which I picked those two up.

joeblow69 11-05-19 08:53 AM

What area are you in? Level 10 is generally where you move on to the next leveling zone. Battlegrounds is PVP stuff .. it's been a long time since I've done it, but I think if you ask a guard in the Exodar where the Battlemaster is, he will be able to get you into some PVP if you want.

K&AJones 11-05-19 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 13635203)
What area are you in? Level 10 is generally where you move on to the next leveling zone. Battlegrounds is PVP stuff .. it's been a long time since I've done it, but I think if you ask a guard in the Exodar where the Battlemaster is, he will be able to get you into some PVP if you want.

Well I'm not exactly wanting the PvP part at this time...but I am in the Azuremyst Isles.....there's some larger land mass next to us and there' a bunch of green icons but some of those have level 40-60, some say other levels. But I didn't see anyone saying or asking about going some other place except...You may now go to Battlegrounds.....

joeblow69 11-05-19 12:28 PM

Ok, if you've finished Azuremist, then there should be a quest somewhere that sends you north, to bloodmyst isle. Alternatively, you can take a boat to Darkshore and quest there. I think bloodmyst is a better questing experience, but Darkshore did get re-done during the Cataclysm, so it might be better than I remember. The boat is on the west shore, just south of the Exodar.

Btw, there are 2 different quests that will send you to bloodmyst: https://www.wowhead.com/quest=28559/heros-call-bloodmyst-isle and https://www.wowhead.com/quest=9625/e...rious-business

btw, in every capitol city (like Exodar) there is a "hero's call" quest board, that you can check if you don't know where you should be going. It will have a quest to send you to whatever zone is relavant for your level.

K&AJones 11-05-19 03:07 PM

Thank you for that...I'll go looking on the West Shore then and see what happens.

joeblow69 12-07-19 10:46 AM

I don't know if you guys have been following what's been going on in Classic, but shit is going downhill FAST on pvp servers.

Right now, the only way to farm honor is killing members of the other faction in world PVP. (battlezones aren't available yet). On some servers, the horde side vastly outnumbers the alliance, and camps them EVERYWHERE. You want to take a flightpoint somewhere? As soon as you land you're dead. Want to go into an instance? Good luck getting through the 100+ hordies AOEing in front of the portal. (to be fair, alliance does this as well on alliance dominated servers, there just aren't as many).

So the EU PVP server called Flamelash got SO bad blizzard opened up free transfers to another server, in an attempt to get horde to go to another server, I think? Problem was, alliance was so sick of getting camped constantly, every alliance guild (save 1) that was raiding moved to another server. Which left horde with no one to kill.

This video is crazy ... peak game time, the alliance capitol of IronForge has 16 level 60 alliance characters, but FULL of hordies. I have no idea what blizzard can do to fix this server, they will probably have to shut it down and force transfers for everyone left.

You might say, what's wrong with that? Horde just have their own server to themselves. Well, when the AQ raid comes up, before you can enter the raid, BOTH horde and alliance have to donate HUGE quantities of materials. If there's no alliance left, that means the AQ doors will never open.

This is the reason I was so glad I rolled on a PvE server. World PvP can be fun if it's a fair fight. But who wants to play when you can't actually do anything because there's huge amounts of enemies killing you constantly at every turn, and there's nothing you can do about it?

K&AJones 12-08-19 07:40 AM

I'm still giving the Starter Version a free...up to level 20 I think...a go here & there....got The Witcher Wild Hunt, back with Diablo Seasonal and dealing with Warframe. Just don't know if paying a monthly charge unless I play a lot is worth the hassle. And frankly I don't know the difference between Classic and the normal versions

joeblow69 12-08-19 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by K&AJones (Post 13651780)
I'm still giving the Starter Version a free...up to level 20 I think...a go here & there....got The Witcher Wild Hunt, back with Diablo Seasonal and dealing with Warframe. Just don't know if paying a monthly charge unless I play a lot is worth the hassle. And frankly I don't know the difference between Classic and the normal versions

The starter version lets you play up to level 20 of the retail experience. The one with all the expansion packs that levels up to 120.

I don't believe you can try classic with a free account. That's the original experience, with no expansions packs, and tops out at level 60. It's a MUCH MUCH MUCH
Spoiler:
MUCH

slower leveling experience. It has a totally different vibe than retail.

Cusm 04-30-20 12:07 PM

Anyone still playing? I am thinking of throwing some game time on my account to revisit Azeroth. I know they don't have Scroll of Resurrection atm but they have Recruit a Friend offer. If someone wants to send me me a RaF invite you can get credit when I jump on. Blizzard account is my user name at cox(dot)net.

nickdawgy 10-02-20 12:10 PM

Looks like the expansion was delayed. Originally expected on October 26th.

shizawn 12-08-20 01:23 PM

Shadowlands becomes the fastest selling PC game of all time, with >3.7 million units sold on the first day, breaking the record held by Diablo III at 3.5 million.

https://investor.activision.com/node/33796/pdf

Been hearing people are really happy with the expansion so far. I haven't had an active subscription since the Mists of Pandaria days. Maybe one of these days I'll go back and check things out.