DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Halo 3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/480220-halo-3-a.html)

DJ_Longfellow 04-10-07 08:16 AM

Hopefully I get my Crackdown from MS retail by then ;)

KurrptSenate 04-10-07 08:40 AM

sh!t, ill be in Vegas getting married during a good portion of that time

1998Nole 04-10-07 09:01 AM

Hopefully the Xbox servers will survive May 16.

xmiyux 04-10-07 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by 1998Nole
Hopefully the Xbox servers will survive May 16.

Considering how broken they get when map packs are released for games i can only imagine the hell downloading this beta will be.

Xander 04-10-07 09:19 AM

Well, to be fair, a good portion of ALL Halo players were downloading the maps at that time. At least this will be a somewhat limited number of people. Sort of. :)

Draven 04-10-07 12:00 PM

I'm annoyed it is such a short run (less than a month).

I was hoping for a longer chunk of time. Now I feel like I'm going to have to play the damn thing every night. I just stopped playing WoW and haven't bought Oblivion for JUST THIS REASON :)

ChrisHicks 04-10-07 04:18 PM

for anyone who ordered this(Legendary Ed.) at circuitcity.com when it was 99.00 does your order status reflect this price? or any price for that matter?

Michael Corvin 04-10-07 04:39 PM

hmmm... it doesn't show the price.

sniper308 04-10-07 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Hopefully I get my Crackdown from MS retail by then ;)

me too...

edstein 04-12-07 12:04 AM

Has everyone checked out the new MP video.

http://www.bungie.net/News/content.a...ndVidocRelease

It's on xbox live as well.

mmconhea 04-12-07 09:08 AM

saw the video, wasn't all that impressed. I really didn't like the fact they didn't show any of the MP from the player's perspective.

xmiyux 04-12-07 09:15 AM

I thought the video was heavenly and absolutely love the idea of it saving replays of the entire match and being able to review them from any perspective. I wonder if this will be a tool to help report and ban cheaters. Either way it is even cooler than the CoD2 kill cam - especially if you can pause in game (at the risk of dying again) and replay the shot to see where the sniper was camping.

edstein 04-12-07 09:54 AM

miyu, you were the first person I thought of when I saw the slow mo kill cams. I like the shield grenades and the trip mines too, nice additions.

Michael Corvin 04-12-07 09:57 AM

The "Trip Mines" are the only thing that put a great big goofy grin on my face during that vid. It all looks cool, but that new addition looks fun as hell.

Proximity mines were always my favorite weapon in Goldeneye and have missed them in other FPS games. Sure they were cheap, but always good for a laugh and/or getting yourself out of a jam.

Draven 04-12-07 12:18 PM

The shield grenade looks very interesting, and looks big enough to contain a Ghost and possibly a Warthog. And the trip mines are a great addition too - I can totally see some ways those would come in handy in Halo 2 now. But mostly I'm looking forward to driving the Mongoose into a man cannon and getting flung across the map for awesome flag caps.

I cannot wait for this game.

xmiyux 04-12-07 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
miyu, you were the first person I thought of when I saw the slow mo kill cams. I like the shield grenades and the trip mines too, nice additions.

Well if you can play the entire battle from anyone's perspective (which is my hope) and especially upload things to a server to share with others then someone could check out the top Halo players and see strategies, techniques, and hopefully easily see if people are cheating. That and the thought of messaging a grenade stick video to Martini or goLucky brings a big goofy grin to my face.

As does getting a headshot (and saving it) on whoever called me a girl in that thread discussing Lost Planet. :lol:

Crizzar 04-12-07 06:15 PM

Not specific to Halo 3, but I was sent this video and they do a damn good job of performing the Halo theme. Best use of electric violin since Revenge of the Nerds :D

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/...eme_Remix.html

Michael Corvin 04-12-07 06:36 PM

Yeah, that's been kicking around for a few months. You can download the tune on their myspace page.

goLUCKY 04-13-07 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Well if you can play the entire battle from anyone's perspective (which is my hope) and especially upload things to a server to share with others then someone could check out the top Halo players and see strategies, techniques, and hopefully easily see if people are cheating. That and the thought of messaging a grenade stick video to Martini or goLucky brings a big goofy grin to my face.

As does getting a headshot (and saving it) on whoever called me a girl in that thread discussing Lost Planet. :lol:

I'm hoping they make the saved videos availible through some sort of you-tube like frount end on bungies site. Kinda like they did for stats in h2.

BTW, xmiyux you couldn't stick me with a grenade, even if I pulled the pin for you.

xmiyux 04-13-07 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by goLUCKY
BTW, xmiyux you couldn't stick me with a grenade, even if I pulled the pin for you.

True, because then you would actually have to play Halo. :p

I'll just settle for smoke-tagging you in Gears.

Obey The D 04-13-07 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by goLUCKY
I'm hoping they make the saved videos availible through some sort of you-tube like frount end on bungies site. Kinda like they did for stats in h2.

If only they had this when Halo 2 first came out. Then we could all look back and say, "There's goLUCKY taking out 3 team members with a rocket launcher...this is the one where he runs over four of us with the Warthog...Here's where we were about to win Capture the Flag on Zanzibar until he accidentally ran over the flag carrier with the ghost ...etc." ;)

edstein 04-13-07 01:17 PM

:lol:

kakihara1 04-13-07 01:26 PM

ahhh the memories. No one could betray teammates quite like Lucky.....brings a tear to my eye -ptth-

diespine 04-14-07 09:14 PM

anyone know how limited the legendary edition is?

mrpayroll 05-10-07 04:11 PM

http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_Fo...rica_2597.html

Four Million Halo 3 Preorders In North America

Halo 3 won't be released until this fall, but the obsession associated with Microsoft's game is going in only one direction and that is straight up. The most recent piece of information related to the third Halo game is rather stunning: over 4 million preorders have already been made.

Xbox Evolved has the word:

According to Gamestop officials, over four million preorders have been made for Halo 3 on Xbox 360. Xbox Evolved has verified this information at five different Greater Cincinnati Gamestop locations, including Gamestop stores, EB Games stores, and Funcoland stores, all under the same umbrella. This information was verified at all locations, however company a document showing this information was not revealed.”

The figures are quite impressive, given the fact that Gears of War found it very hard to pass the 4 million milestone. As you may recall, Gears of War is currently the best-selling title on Xbox 360.

On the other hand, it would be interesting to know which Halo 3 version was the preorder favorite. According to a Microsoft's announcement, Halo 3 will be available in three different editions: Standard, Limited and Legendary:

Standard Edition ($59.99)
- standalone disc
- game manual

Limited Edition (($69.99):
- the first bonus disc from the Legendary Edition
- Halo fiction and art book

Legendary Edition ($129.99):
- two bonus disks full of supplemental content

- the first disc will include behind-the-scenes footage and videos (a high-definition "Making of "Halo 3" documentary among other things),early game concepts and an audio-visual calibration tool which will allow players to enjoy high definition footage and optimised audio.

- the second disc will feature will include remastered cinematic material from Halo 2 and Halo: Combat Evolved, developer commentaries, a featurette documenting a day in the life at Bungie and exclusive content from the creative minds behind Machinima artists ?Red vs. Blue? and ?This Spartan Life?

- a collectible Spartan helmet case

- Halo 3 storyboard art
Those are pretty amazing figures and there is still almost 4 months to go. It will probably sell over 7 million by the end of it's first week.

Chris

Michael Corvin 05-10-07 06:03 PM

Yep. Those are just people that already own a 360 and that isn't including people that have pre-ordered elsewhere(CC, BB, etc.)

I imagine there are still TONS of gamers waiting to even buy a 360 until Halo 3 comes out.

Canis Firebrand 05-11-07 07:20 PM

Ohhhh.. Halo 3 is Nice!!

I got in the beta today via the Friends and Family invite. So, I get to play a few days before the world gets the chance. :)

xmiyux 05-11-07 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vryce
Ohhhh.. Halo 3 is Nice!!

I got in the beta today via the Friends and Family invite. So, I get to play a few days before the world gets the chance. :)

As i said on the 8-Bit Brigade forum... i don't like you at all now. :p

Canis Firebrand 05-11-07 07:56 PM

Ahhh.. don't hate the player.. ;)

Michael Corvin 05-11-07 08:11 PM

Someone on CAG got one too. How did you get it?

Canis Firebrand 05-11-07 08:12 PM

I don't know. I went to my bungie page and had a message. The message said I got in on the Friends and Family plan and had a code for me to download the beta from the marketplace.

Michael Corvin 05-11-07 08:16 PM

oh. You guys played Bungie at some point didn't you? I bet that's why. Probably keep a tab of everyone they've played personally and chose a bunch at random. Just a guess.

Canis Firebrand 05-11-07 08:21 PM

That could be.. But the one other person from our clan that got in today didn't play in that match. But not sure how they picked people.

Still cool and I look forward to playing more of my friends on the 16th when everyone can get the beta. That day is going to suck for downloading it though. So having it a few days early is nice in that regard.

mrpayroll 05-11-07 10:56 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070512/...corp_halo_dc_1

Microsoft lifts shroud off Halo 3

By Justin Grant
2 hours, 50 minutes ago

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Microsoft gave a sneak peak at its "Halo 3" game on Friday, presumably the final chapter of the fast-paced shooter trilogy that the software giant is banking on to help it fend off competition from Sony (6758.T) and Nintendo (7974.OS).

Gamers at the invitation-only preview gave mixed reviews.

"The graphics can use some work ... They're not much different than the previous Halo," said Nicholas Puleo, editor of gaming news Web site Evilavatar.com.

"They've got five, six months until release, so they'll add some polish ... When I compare it to other things in the platform, it's not standout."

Microsoft staged previews in New York and San Francisco on Friday in advance of the public test, or "beta," of the game, which goes live next Wednesday.

A public beta is unusual for a console game, and the "Halo 3" one for Microsoft's Xbox 360 is being closely watched by gamers eager to know how the title looks and plays, and whether it will live up to the buzz.

The game once again puts players in control of "Master Chief," a futuristic soldier trying to save humanity from an alien coalition known as the Covenant.

To make things more realistic, game maker Bungie Studios made the movements in "Halo 3" more closely follow the laws of real-world physics.

"When you're playing with physics, you want to draw a balance between fantasy and reality," Halo franchise writer Frank O'Connor told Reuters.

Dead bodies float. Grenades tossed in snow stay in place, while those thrown on harder surfaces skip and roll. Bullets ricochet off walls. And gamers' characters straying too close to grenades will be maimed by their shrapnel effect.

"To get me as a player -- to be vested in real-time game-play -- the realism is critical," said Christopher Peragine. "Once it gets past the Beta, it's going to be a fantastic game."

The first "Halo" helped the original Microsoft Xbox gain a foothold in the highly competitive video-game market, while its successor became one of the most successful games ever, with sales of $125 million -- roughly 2.5 million copies -- in its first 24 hours of availability.

The games have also driven adoption of the Xbox Live online gaming service, which offers some basic features for free but charges users about $50 a year for being able to play against other gamers.

In addition to being one of the year's hottest-selling games, the publicity surrounding "Halo 3" should also spur some consumers to run out and buy an Xbox 360, said Craig Davison, Microsoft's director of marketing.

"There's a significant number of people just waiting for that one game," he said, "and this is the game."

OMG!!! It's a failure! Everyone cancel their pre-order!!!

Chris

edstein 05-12-07 12:16 AM

Why do we have two Halo 3 threads? Both on the first page even. :hscratch:

DJ_Longfellow 05-12-07 08:18 AM

Well, looking forward to loading up Crackdown soon to unlock my H3 Beta. The videos look pretty darn fun. It appears they only tweaked the game, which is fine by me. Good time to come in a few days. I wonder how long it will take to download :)

Canis Firebrand 05-12-07 11:39 AM

I'm not sure what the guy means when he says the graphics look just like the pervious Halo.

The 3 maps I've seen are amazing. The sounds you hear during the game are also a lot better. Little things that you don't think of when you are playing. For instance, when you die in water, you hear the water moving above your head as if you were were underwater.
When you are sniped with a head shot, everything gets all muted for a second until you fall over dead.

The music score during the initial loading screen is the newish halo theme with the piano that we heard in one of the teaser commercials.

All in all, this game looks amazing on an HD TV.

argh923 05-12-07 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, looking forward to loading up Crackdown soon to unlock my H3 Beta. The videos look pretty darn fun. It appears they only tweaked the game, which is fine by me. Good time to come in a few days. I wonder how long it will take to download :)

So wait...you don't go to play the Halo 3 beta through Crackdown every time you boot it up?

So theoretically, I could download Halo 3 with my copy of Crackdown, then lend it to my friend and have him get it as well?

Michael Corvin 05-12-07 04:07 PM

From everything I've read you will have to have the Crackdown disc to access the beta, every time. I think the ONLY way to access it is through the Crackdown menu. I guess we will find out in a few days.

K&AJones 05-12-07 05:36 PM

XBL has several Beta MP movies up and they're pretty nice. Well worth checking out.

http://features.teamxbox.com/xbox/19...-HD-Movies/p1/

Kenny J - Buzz Starhopper