Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Do I need the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter?

Old 10-07-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do I need the Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter?

It seems that I need a wireless card to hook my Xbox up to my home connection. I have a few questions. Do I need to buy the specific Xbox 360 wireless adapter? Or could I get a portable wireless USB card that is a lot cheaper? If I'm using Xbox Live will it dramatically slow down my internet connection for the rest of the family? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard the USB network adapters don't work, as you can't install the drivers on the 360. I'm in the same boat you are, and just picked up a wireless router today for my PC, since I didn't have one yet, and then I'll pick up the 360 Wireless Adapter on ebay for $50 or so. That puts me out about $100 or so, total.

Your other option is to get a wireless bridge for your 360, assuming you already have a wireless router. Those aren't necessarily cheap either, so I don't know what your best option is.

I don't know how it will affect other PCs and devices in the household. There's a couple tip sites you can find on Google that will help you optimize things for the 360, including putting it on its own Access Point, etc.
Old 10-07-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buy the Linksys one.

At least, the type of wireless internet I have, the adapter was $30 instead of $100 for the Microsoft official one.
Old 10-07-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Buy the Linksys one.

At least, the type of wireless internet I have, the adapter was $30 instead of $100 for the Microsoft official one.
Do you have a model # or link on this one?
Old 10-07-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just unhook my cable modem from my PC and connect it to my 360 when I want to play.

Takes about 2 minutes and saved me the cash for getting a wireless adapter.
Old 10-07-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by thematahara
I just unhook my cable modem from my PC and connect it to my 360 when I want to play.

Takes about 2 minutes and saved me the cash for getting a wireless adapter.
Not a good solution if your Xbox is a long way away from the modem.
I'm also wondering about this. I just picked up a used Xbox and made it an Xbox Media Center. Works great, but I hate running a long cable to the living room and have no desire to spend $100 on a wireless adapter.

If the Linksys thing works for $30 I will look into that. I would love to have all my music and video streaming to the living room.
Old 10-07-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, my cable modem is in the den. I can't simply hook up my cable modem to the Xbox. I'd like to check out the linksys thing too.
Old 10-07-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually use the wireless adapter that they released for the original XBox. I've never had any issues with it at all.
Old 10-09-06, 10:45 AM

Performance comment, I have the 360 wireless adapter, and you do get a performance hit. I read that the wireless adapter, or wireless adapters in general add an extra hop, which is basically is a delay, slightly, but still apparent.

If low pings, and unnecessary lag is is okay with you, then get the wireless adapter.
When R6 Vegas comes out, I'll definately put my cable modem back next to the 360.
Old 10-09-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barney1234
Performance comment, I have the 360 wireless adapter, and you do get a performance hit. I read that the wireless adapter, or wireless adapters in general add an extra hop, which is basically is a delay, slightly, but still apparent.

If low pings, and unnecessary lag is is okay with you, then get the wireless adapter.
When R6 Vegas comes out, I'll definately put my cable modem back next to the 360.
I've been wondering about this for along time. thanks.
Old 10-09-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

as long as you game at one TV, hook up your cable modem there. Get a wireless router/adapter for your PC, but hardwire your 360.
Old 10-09-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hail2dking
as long as you game at one TV, hook up your cable modem there. Get a wireless router/adapter for your PC, but hardwire your 360.
That would probably be the cheaper option, as a wireless card for PC is cheaper than Microsoft's adapter. However, are there any speed issues over wireless? I've got my PC hardwired to my cable modem right now, and can get over 700K/sec. Am I going to be able to get these same speeds over a wireless 802.11g connection?