Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about gaming microtransactions?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-05-06, 11:03 AM
tpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been pondering this a lot lately. I'm not talking about the purchase of a full on XBLA arcade game. I certainly have no problem with a different method of distributing a game.

I'm talking about things like Oblivion's horse armor, or the forthcoming EA rosters and additional jerseys. Right or wrong?

These are things that don't fundamentally alter your ability to play the game, but rather are a way to extend the game. I'm torn on how I feel about this..

I understand that development cycles and the need to get a physical product on the shelf can alter your ability to put in things you want in a game. I think of games like Smackdown vs. Raw when I say this, where the rosters are almost always out of date by the time the game ships. Adding new wrestlers in or modifying them could add value to the game, but could hurt the value of the upcoming game as well, if you agree to the argument that a new roster is the main reason to upgrade.

Some of these things we've grown accustomed to for free (like alternate attires) and it feels inherently wrong to have to pay for, though I guess you don't HAVE to pay for it.

Just curious how others felt about this

Last edited by tpc; 10-05-06 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-05-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Personally, I don't like them. I'd rather pay a little more and get a true "expansion" of a game than nickel-and-diming my way through a bunch of little updates.
Old 10-05-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not really for it. Significant add-on packs maybe, but what you're describing is a big turn no-no.

This is definitely one of the things that's causing me to tip-toe into this next generation of games.
Old 10-05-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think EA is taking the nickel and diming strategy to new lows and definitely is turning me off to the idea. The potential is good, but I see lots of developers removing features we would usually get just to charge us for them later.
Old 10-05-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It all depends on the content. If it's an additional quest or expansion for a game like Oblivion, then I'm all for it as it adds replay to the game.

Something like what EA is pulling with their alternate jerseys and old stadiums are completely unnecessary. This is a feature of the game that has ALWAYS been free - even this year on the PS2, XBox and GC versions of the game you had the jerseys and stadiums available from the start.

Consumers should not have to pay for content that is free elsewhere, and should remain free. I would love to see some of the Patriots classic unis, but I'm certainly not going to pay for them. I, for one, plan to boycott this additional content. Sadly, there are enough people out there who are suckers that will buy this content, and as a result I can see more and more developers taking this strategy and running with it.
Old 10-05-06, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I think EA is taking the nickel and diming strategy to new lows and definitely is turning me off to the idea. The potential is good, but I see lots of developers removing features we would usually get just to charge us for them later.
I agree. This gives game developers excuses to put out a lesser product only to add to it later.

I personally think we should be rewarded for achievements. For example for every 1000 achievements get some MPs. Or something! What's the point of achievements except bragging rights?
Old 10-05-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It really comes down to what they're selling. Comestic changes I couldn't care less about. However if we're adding real content to a game, I don't have a problem with it in theory. As long as things remain optional and the main game doesn't suffer a rush because the content can come later.
Old 10-05-06, 11:35 AM
tpc

Originally Posted by pinata242
It really comes down to what they're selling. Comestic changes I couldn't care less about. However if we're adding real content to a game, I don't have a problem with it in theory. As long as things remain optional and the main game doesn't suffer a rush because the content can come later.
This is basically how I feel on the matter. I don't mind it as much as long as I don't HAVE to buy things to get the full value of the game, or for things that can't rationally be put into the physical game, like roster updates.

Here's a different slant: what about allowing players to pay for unlockables rather than earn them the old fashioned way? For example, you could play Madden and unlock all the HOFers, or you could pay, say 5 bucks and have it unlocked.
Old 10-05-06, 11:53 AM
Retired

I think they're stupid and pointless, but I have no problem if it is just silly little things like horse armor that are just meant for the diehard fans.

I have a problem with it if it is something like GT HD where you get less game than you got in previous installments for your $50-60 and then they expect you to pay more to buy more cars, tracks etc. when in past generations all that stuff was in the game from the outset. That's getting into "boycott the developer" territory for me.
Old 10-05-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say either you put it in the game upon release or put it in a proper add-on.

I'm not a fan of this "pay for a little extra" garbage. I just spent $50 on a game and now i'm being told that "for a few bucks more" I can buy some things that someone decided not to include in the released game?

I understand today its useless shit like horse armor and jerseys, but what about the day when it isn't?
Old 10-05-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't like them at all. There is chance that they can be good, and like others have said, adding another dungeon to an already gigantic game in Oblivion and charging $5.00 is cool. EA can go kick rocks. I hope they don't sell a single jersey or stadium. That seems like a slap in the face to the fans of those games.

How soon before (nearly done) characters in fighting games are held back so they can offer him or her 2 months down the road for $3.00? Marval Ultimate Alliance is coming out in a few weeks. I could totally see them offering up popular characters for download that weren't included in the original game. That would be irritating.

I just don't like where this can go. It can abused so easily if people actually fall for it.
Old 10-05-06, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It doesn't bother me nearly as much in otherwise free games (Korean MMORPG's are supported by this business model).
Old 10-05-06, 12:55 PM
tpc

Originally Posted by Groucho
It doesn't bother me nearly as much in otherwise free games (Korean MMORPG's are supported by this business model).
Would you consider cheaper games with the idea of expansion via later add ons?

This is something we've sort of seen in the PC market, but it's new territory for consoles.

Just picking brains here. Not sure how I feel on the matter.
Old 10-05-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Up until a few days ago I had very few problems with these types of transactions. I had bought a few of the added things for Oblivion and really enjoyed them.

My opinion changed the other night while playing The Godfather. I was pretty much done with the game and I was trying to figure out if I wanted to put more time into it in order to get the last few achievements. I noticed I only had a few left to get but something was way wrong. I had 715 points in the game out of a possible 835. I hadn't noticed up until then that the downloadable content scheduled to come out next month would unlock the rest of the achievements. Now I seriously doubt the content will be free for the game. I think this is the worst way to milk customers for more money. Since I rented The Godfather I got over the ordeal but if I had bought the game I would of been far more vocal and agitated.
Old 10-05-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think Oblivion is a great example of how microtranactions should be done. The game stands on its own without having to buy anything else. Then they price the add-ons based on content. Horse armour cheap and new levels and or quests priced a little more. While I don't like the high prices EA is charging for their add-ons, most of the sports games are stand alone as well. But, these rumors about GTHD are disturbing. It doesn't sound like you get your 60$ worth out of the box. I don't think its fair to judge that game too much though until it actually comes out.
Old 10-05-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
My girlfriend plays these kind of games. I think it's an interesting model. As far as I know, it's not CONTENT that you have to pay for, but mostly things to personalize your character/experience. Maybe I'm wrong. I know she plays two such games and spends less on them than one monthly fee on other games.
Old 10-05-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I had 715 points in the game out of a possible 835. I hadn't noticed up until then that the downloadable content scheduled to come out next month would unlock the rest of the achievements. Now I seriously doubt the content will be free for the game. I think this is the worst way to milk customers for more money. Since I rented The Godfather I got over the ordeal but if I had bought the game I would of been far more vocal and agitated.
That's why, in the long run I can appreciate Kameo's 0pt achievements. Give us 1000 out of the box. That is what a $60 pricetag should include.

For those that don't know(surely everyone didn't play it) Rare offered up a free update in the spring to allow online play(apparently not done in time for launch). Again, it was free. To boot they added 9 or 10 new achievements all worth 0pts. People bitched at first, but this way those that really enjoy & love the game are going to go after them regardless of their value.

A few weeks ago they started offering a "Power pack" which offered 3-4 new modes of play. This one was 400pts. They also added another 15 achievements to attain.

So two expansions for a mere 400pts overall. I'm fine with that. You don't need the new one to enjoy the game at all. You need the first for online play, but that is free. I appreciate the way Rare has handled this game on the marketplace.

The only thing I dislike is the character skin packs. $$ to put a skin overtop of the characters in game. I don't think so.

I only bought one gamerpic, my college football team, but that was a one time thing. If it is something substantial like adding 3-4 new ways to play the game, or extra maps for FPS games, I'm down... for a reasonable cost. Rare has shown me they know what they are doing. If only the other companies like EA would take a hint.
Old 10-05-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
For games like CoD2 where you get new maps and such, I'm not opposed. As long as they are quality (which they have been), then I don't mind.
Old 10-05-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Up until a few days ago I had very few problems with these types of transactions. I had bought a few of the added things for Oblivion and really enjoyed them.

My opinion changed the other night while playing The Godfather. I was pretty much done with the game and I was trying to figure out if I wanted to put more time into it in order to get the last few achievements. I noticed I only had a few left to get but something was way wrong. I had 715 points in the game out of a possible 835. I hadn't noticed up until then that the downloadable content scheduled to come out next month would unlock the rest of the achievements. Now I seriously doubt the content will be free for the game. I think this is the worst way to milk customers for more money. Since I rented The Godfather I got over the ordeal but if I had bought the game I would of been far more vocal and agitated.
i thnk theyre doing this with LOTR too as there are only 705 points right now possible. GRAW has new achievements too, not sure if you pay for those or not. Some japanese games are like this too (bulletwitch). If you rent the game it may cost you more to update it nthan to actually rent it.