Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any good retro review sites?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-05-06, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some good retro review sites. In particular NES, SNES, and Genesis.

I'm torn between getting the Wii and Virtual console for older games, or just pick up a system and games on Ebay/Used Video game store.
Old 10-06-06, 01:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
http://www.gamerankings.com/
Old 10-06-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't really care for GameRankings for the old reviews (they are great for recent stuff). Too many crappy little review places doing the old ones giving games 100%. Ridiculous.
Old 10-06-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm guessing a lot of sites will review the games that come to the virtual console, much like the reviews we've seen of games made available on Xbox 360's Live Arcade. If you have the patience, you could just wait until then.

Also, I would only pick up a Wii if you were interested in playing Wii games. The virtual console is a really nifty idea, but I don't think it's worth buying a system over, especially considering there are expected to be around 30 'legacy' titles at launch, followed by 10 more games per month. It's not as if the entire back library is going to be instantly available.
Old 10-06-06, 04:06 PM
Retired

I agree with maxfisher.

The VC is an nice bonus, but not worth buying a Wii for right now at $250. Maybe down the road after a price drop and when more games are available.

The pricing kind of sucks too, with them starting at $5-NES; $8 SNES; $10 N64. That means a lot of games (i.e. non rare ones) you could by the original carts for cheaper than the VC download.