DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Grammar and game systems (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/479724-grammar-game-systems.html)

Draven 10-04-06 04:52 PM

Grammar and game systems

I was typing out a post and I realized something strange. I have fairly decent grammar, but it's mostly based on how things "sound" to me - I rarely know the underlying rules.

So maybe someone can explain this to me:

I want to buy an Xbox 360
I want to buy a 360
I want to buy an Xbox
I want to buy a Playstation 3
I want to buy a Nintendo Wii

All of those seem to be correct - why does Xbox (and only Xbox) require an "an?"

Liver&Onions 10-04-06 04:54 PM

open MS word, type in it and ask little paperclip dude :) I did but it won't let me copy/paste.

Jeremy517 10-04-06 05:06 PM

XBox is pronounced with a vowel at the start (ex-box). Words that start with a vowel sound == "An". Words that start with a consonant sound == "A"

DVD Josh 10-04-06 05:14 PM

All your base are belong to us?

Flay 10-04-06 05:19 PM

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B and an A?

pizzamousechips 10-04-06 05:27 PM

Somewhat off-topic, did anyone here know that Wii is meant to be alone (not a Wii, just Wii) and in the beginning of the sentence (not "this game will be on the Wii" but "Wii will have this game"). Here's how Nintendo put it specifically to other companies:

Wii: Nintendo’s upcoming home video game console. It is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii.
It is pronounced “we,” indicating its all-inclusive nature. The name works best at the
beginning of declarative statements. For clarity, it is best to avoid passive verbs and
prepositions.

pinata242 10-04-06 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
XBox is pronounced with a vowel at the start (ex-box). Words that start with a vowel sound == "An". Words that start with a consonant sound == "A"

Yup. Simple as that.

An Xbox
An X-Ray
An hour

A xylophone
A xenophobe

milo bloom 10-04-06 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Yup. Simple as that.

An Xbox
An X-Ray
An hour

A xylophone
A xenophobe

That sounds like the beginning of a long, lost Julie Andrews musical.

If you want to read something interesting (and somewhat on topic), this is from the LEGO website

Help us to protect our brand name:
● The LEGO brand name should always be
written in capital letters.
● LEGO must never be used as a generic
term or in the plural or as a possessive pronoun,
e.g. “LEGO’s”.
● When the LEGO brand name is used as
part of a noun, it must never appear on its
own. It should always be accompanied by a
noun. For example, LEGO set, LEGO
products, LEGO Group, LEGO play
materials, LEGO bricks, LEGO universe,
etc.
● The first time the LEGO trademark
appears it should be accompanied by the
registration symbol ®.
Thank you for helping us!
Link
link

boredsilly 10-05-06 09:20 AM

That LEGO stuff was pretty interesting. I would always type it Lego, the whole 4 times I've used the word, so it's good to know for the future. -eink-

<b>milo</b> are you into LEGO's or did you just happen to stumble upon that?

PixyJunket 10-05-06 09:23 AM

Trapdoor to the Rancor.

Draven 10-05-06 10:31 AM

I did a little research of my own on this too, so thanks for the replies! Makes sense, but it's weird that it's based on what a word SOUNDS like. I can't think of too many other rules that use that. Anyway...

As to the "Wii" rules - sorry, I'm not going to say something like "Wii is what I will be playing tonight."

Save Ferris 10-05-06 10:48 AM

This is why English is considered one of the hardest languages in the world to master--its a bastard language with inconsistent spelling, phonetics and usage.

milo bloom 10-05-06 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That LEGO stuff was pretty interesting. I would always type it Lego, the whole 4 times I've used the word, so it's good to know for the future. -eink-

<b>milo</b> are you into LEGO's or did you just happen to stumble upon that?

I've always loved LEGO® bricks (;)) and I've built stuff here and there as an adult, but I'm not a hardcore modeller, no. I think I was looking at some detailed adult-built projects once and the site mentioned that legal disclaimer. This discussion reminded me of it, so I just went to their homesite and found it in their legal section.

AGuyNamedMike 10-06-06 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
This is why English is considered one of the hardest languages in the world to master--its a bastard language with inconsistent spelling, phonetics and usage.

Yes, but the levels of connotation and coloration possible, especially in the hands of a master, can amaze.

Breakfast with Girls 10-09-06 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
I did a little research of my own on this too, so thanks for the replies! Makes sense, but it's weird that it's based on what a word SOUNDS like. I can't think of too many other rules that use that.

Not weird--it's a common feature of many languages. Language is primarily spoken. Saying "a apple" is more difficult to say than "an apple" because you've got to introduce a <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_%28linguistics%29">hiatus</a>.

It's sort of like in French, where you don't pronounce the end of certain words unless they are followed by vowels (e.g., <i>vous avez</i>).

RoQuEr 10-09-06 12:01 PM

a/an is a sound rule, not a spelling one.