DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   After all of the announcements... Are you getting a Wii? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/477793-after-all-announcements-you-getting-wii.html)

pizzamousechips 09-15-06 01:29 PM

After all of the announcements... Are you getting a Wii?

I know a lot of people are disappointed with the recent announcements... $250, Nov. 19, Wii Sports pack-in, No DVD playback, etc.

I'm just curious about how many people actually changed their mind.

Shagrath 09-15-06 01:34 PM

I'm more than likely still picking one up at launch. It all depends on what kind of deal I can get on a bundle. I'm guessing that Costco will have a bundle with an extra WiiMote/NunChuck and maybe an additional game for around $300-325. If so, I'll go with that, otherwise, I might wait a little bit.

Wick 09-15-06 01:36 PM

You bet your ass. I've had one pre-ordered for a month or two now. I cannot wait.

Ginwen 09-15-06 01:40 PM

None of your choices apply to me.

I'll buy one eventually, when there are games I really want (and after it comes down a bit in price, so not by the end of the year).

PixyJunket 09-15-06 01:40 PM

The price and date were both within what was expected, regardless or what people's hyped up speculation hoped they would be (myself included). I had a bit of hesitation due to the two games I really wanted are no longer launch titles (Metroid and Dragon Quest) but I'll settle for Zelda. I'll probably get Trauma Center and Rayman at launch as well.

I'm still excited, there's already so many great sounding games on the way.

Deftones 09-15-06 01:42 PM

Yes, but probably not at launch. The more I think about it, the more I only want Zelda. The only thing that might change that is if my gf wants the VC games to play. I'll likely stick it out for a bit and maybe get it after Christmas when I get some BB giftcards.

Josh H 09-15-06 01:49 PM

Will still buy at launch since I have $160 in store credit, and will probably trade in my X-box and last couple games for another $70-80 (maybe the GC as well though the trade value on that sucks).

I am much less excited now that Zelda is the only launch game that's a must buy for me, and the damn controllers being $60 meaning no multiplayer Wiisports for me since I'm not interested in it enough (and rarely play multiplayer anyway) to drop that kind of cash on a controller just for it right now. I'll have to wait for a deal, or a game bundled with another controller.

Michael Corvin 09-15-06 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
The price and date were both within what was expected, regardless or what people's hyped up speculation hoped they would be (myself included). I had a bit of hesitation due to the two games I really wanted are no longer launch titles (Metroid and Dragon Quest) but I'll settle for Zelda. I'll probably get Trauma Center and Rayman at launch as well.

Those are the three games on my radar. Zelda for sure. The latest Rayman vid at ign got me more excited for it. Mario Party stopped being fun about 5 iterations ago, this looks better. Trauma Center looks great, but it is the same game as the DS which I already own so that may wait for either a price drop or a true sequel.

95% sure here. If the component cables are definitely included then I'm more than likely down for launch. Just have to find the funds. I haven't missed a Nintendo launch yet, so I doubt I will miss this one.

If I am in, that means Gears of War, F.E.A.R. and the 360 wireless headset have to wait and/or get put on the Christmas list. :)

pinata242 09-15-06 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket

This echoes my feelings exactly. I'm bummed because I'm only going to have only Zelda and not Metroid or DQ for a while. I won't lie and say I didn't consider holding off on the Wii until another couple games I'm interested in are out, but I was just deluding myself. I'll be there, day one, screaming Wii Wii Wii!!!!! all the way home. Not sure if I'm going to have roast beef yet.

hail2dking 09-15-06 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

If I am in, that means Gears of War, F.E.A.R. and the 360 wireless headset have to wait and/or get put on the Christmas list. :)

I am sure you can still make room for Gears of War;)

edstein 09-15-06 01:55 PM

I'm getting the Wii for my kids for Christmas and Gears of War, F.E.A.R. and COD3 for me. The $250 is no problem for me and don't care about DVD playback. I've pre-ordered my through amazon and hopefully will have mine at or just after launch.

fumanstan 09-15-06 01:57 PM

Waiting for reviews. Nothing has shown up that i think absolutely rocks. I figure if you're not sold by the new controls now, you won't be until after launch.

maxfisher 09-15-06 02:08 PM

I'm cancelling my preorder, as I no longer feel like I have to have it at launch. My birthday's in December though, so I'm guessing some family members and maybe my gf will pitch in and get it for me as a bday/xmas present. If not, I'll be buying it myself on Dec. 26, as my company shuts down the week between Christmas and New Year's and I definitely still want the system, even if yesterday's info was rather disappointing.

Michael Corvin 09-15-06 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by hail2dking
I am sure you can still make room for Gears of War;)

Yeah probably, especially if I want to stand a chance against my friends, who will ONLY be playing this game. :lol:

rfduncan 09-15-06 02:22 PM

I've still got dozens of GC games that are still factory-sealed! So I'll work on some of those until the price comes down a bit. The most use my GC gets nowadays with me playing DS Lite so much is when folks are over and beg to play Donkey Konga. :D

gryffinmaster 09-15-06 02:46 PM

Definitely. :up:

RichC2 09-15-06 02:51 PM

The "no DVD Player" is a non-issue, counting my consoles and PCs I have about 6 DVD Players as is. I'm a little disappointed that it didn't get under $200 which would have been killer, but at $250 w/ pack-in game, I can settle.

So I'll get one at launch, with an extra nunchuck set and Trauma Center.

Dash 09-15-06 02:54 PM

I was super hyped to get this system at launc and have been a loyal nintendo fan since launch. Latley Ive really stoped playing video games and was hoping the wii would be the ticket for me. With the 250 Price tag now I think I will wait a bit or maybe get a 360 on a price drop. I think the controller idea is awsome but I wonder if it is something I will get bored with. Plus the delay on the gc zelda tp makes me mad. I was gonna get the gc version. I gues I feel into the over hyping of the system and wish Nintendo would have done some rumor control because it really let me down. I will probably just end up getting a ds and just wait for a price drop on one of the consoles. I thinking Nintendo had everything going for them in the console wars but blew their load too early. Thats just mho.

The real turn off for me is the 60 for another controller. Wii sports may be fun but it almost seems like a glorified tec demo for the controller.

Drexl 09-15-06 03:06 PM

I won't be getting it this year, as I am disappointed with the $250 price. I'll wait for Super Mario Galaxy to see if that can get me to consider buying one.

pinata242 09-15-06 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I am extremely disappointed with the direction Nintendo is taking. Remember all the talk about much lower Wii development costs? Well, surprise, surprise, games will still be priced at $50. Where are the savings for the consumer?

Impossibly, my opinion of Sony has actually gone up and am even pondering the possibility of getting a PS3 next year. :eek:

I just have to ask... How do you reconcile these two statements with each other?

Michael Corvin 09-15-06 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
I am extremely disappointed with the direction Nintendo is taking. Remember all the talk about much lower Wii development costs? Well, surprise, surprise, games will still be priced at $50. Where are the savings for the consumer?

The benefit to the consumers is behind the scenes. Cheaper development costs means more third parties on board which translates into more games for the system. Which also means more profit to those companies to keep developing for the system. Hopefully this all leads to a system that isn't basically on life support after 3 years.

I don't mind the $50 games. That's what we've been paying all along. It could have easily gone in the direction of the competitors.

pinata242 09-15-06 03:15 PM

I just meant on software.