DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Video Game Online Rental Services (Question) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/477444-video-game-online-rental-services-question.html)

argh923 09-12-06 10:17 AM

Video Game Online Rental Services (Question)

Are there any out there that are reputable that aren't Gamefly? I've had four games sent to me by GF that I never received, and now they're threatening to close my account.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 09-12-06 10:38 AM

WTF? Good thing I didn't accept your gamefly invite.

Liver&Onions 09-12-06 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Are there any out there that are reputable that aren't Gamefly? I've had four games sent to me by GF that I never received, and now they're threatening to close my account.

Did you double check your account information? Seems odd that 4 titles were misshipped.

warcp 09-12-06 10:45 AM

Gamefly canceled me after a few games were lost in mail in the space of about 2 months. I signed up for Gameznflix.com, which is alright, but shipping to SoCal stinks and they don't rent DS games and the inventory is meh.

1998Nole 09-12-06 11:03 AM

Gameznflix has been great for me they have a distibution center about 200 miles south so turn around is real fast. When I send games back they get them next day. When they send it usually takes 2/3 days though which I think is partly my post offices fault. I have been member for 1 month and have recieved 13 movie/games.

I only rent 360 games and it looks like they have all the currently released games. I also like the fact I can rent movies along with games. I am doing the 3 out for $16.99.

Flay 09-12-06 11:12 AM

Gameznflix is the superior service for those who live on the East Coast. Shipping time is always 2 days for me and they have an unadvertised quick return system in place which works about 95% of the time opposed to the 25% to 50% of the time in Gamefly's system. Just make sure you match up the UPC numbers from your mailer and game disc holder.

Their only weak point is packaging, which is slightly flimsy, and new releases. Often new releases won't ship until the following day and they have an odd system of changing the status to "on order" opposed to "short wait". But even that flaw can be overlooked as they will easily beat Gamefly by at least a day.

Also, the price is far superior. 3 games at a time is only 17 bucks a month opposed to Gamefly's price of $30+.

1998Nole 09-12-06 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Flay
...they have an unadvertised quick return system in place....

...Often new releases won't ship until the following day and they have an odd system of changing the status to "on order" opposed to "short wait".

How do you know they have a quick return system? I did not realize this was in place, thanks for that bit of information.

I agree with this there queue system is kinda different and could use work. "Short wait" is the same as available in most cases. I had Lego Star Wars ship yesterday but it still shows as "Soon, not yet" on the main page until you add to your queue.

Deftones 09-12-06 11:49 AM

STAY FAR AWAY from Red Octane. They ripped me off.

Xbox69 09-12-06 12:00 PM

Gamerang.com I tried them with a FREE 30-day trial about 2 years ago. Received a game within 2 days of shipping. They had shipping locations in OK and NJ. Looks like they only offer a discounted 1st month now ($9.95). Not sure about the turnaround times as I only kept the single game out for the 30 days.

Flay 09-12-06 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1998Nole
How do you know they have a quick return system? I did not realize this was in place, that for that bit of information.

Haven't you noticed games being removed from the "Titles You Have Out" list the day after you ship them? Occasionally, mine are removed the same day if I drop it off directly at the Post Office.

If a game takes two days (three tops) to get to me, but only one to return, I've got to assume there is a quick return system in place. I'm sure of it.

1998Nole 09-12-06 02:00 PM

Haven't you noticed games being removed from the "Titles You Have Out" list the day after you ship them? Occasionally, mine are removed the same day if I drop it off directly at the Post Office.

If a game takes two days (three tops) to get to me, but only one to return, I've got to assume there is a quick return system in place. I'm sure of it.

That should be something they advertise it would probably get them a few more subscriptions. This is a big plus then.

Has anyone ever heard why Netflix does not add games?

argh923 09-12-06 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Did you double check your account information? Seems odd that 4 titles were misshipped.

Yep. Everything's right - in fact, on two of the occasions, the games were shipped at the same time that others I received were shipped. I'm almost convinced it's theft.

argh923 09-12-06 08:06 PM

Signed up for GameZnFlix tonight. Thanks to all who suggested it. One major concern I have, though, is that I've added ten games to my Queue (Saints Row, Chromehounds, Dead Rising, Madden 07, Lego Star Wars, Prey, Over G Fighters, 99 Nights, Enchanted Arms, & Bomberman), and every single one of them has a Short Wait. How long does it usually take for games to ship out when they're on this status? Gamefly generally had games on Short Wait for no more than a day or two.

1998Nole 09-12-06 08:34 PM

They should ship tomorrow short wait means available, I have never not had a short wait not ship and something else ship in its place. Very few things have available status when in the queue, most all are short waits. Heck I just returned Madden today so I know they will have one available real soon.

Here is a list of their distribution centers:
California: 308 West 5th Street, Holtville, and Sacramento
Kentucky: 130 West Kentucky Ave, Franklin, Kentucky
Colorado: 18234 Road 24, Sterling, Colorado
Massachusetts: Worcester, Mass.
Maryland: Gaithersburg, MD
Florida: Altamonte Springs, FL.
Texas: Dallas
IL: Chicago
WA: State: Seattle

argh923 09-15-06 11:42 PM

They did indeed ship the next day. Here's a question, though.

When I signed up, I signed up for the two-game plan. Later that night, I went ahead and upgraded to the three game plan. The next morning, I checked the queue to find that three games had shipped (Saints Row, Chromehounds, & Lego Star Wars). That day, however, I only got two shipping notifications via email - Chromehounds and LSW. Today, I got two games in the mail...again, Chromehounds & LSW. Is it possible that my queue has a glitch in it that's showing them as having shipped SR when they haven't?

Sent them an email a little earlier regarding this.

Otherwise, no complaints...except it's REALLY stupid that they print the name of the game on the outside of the envelope. That's just asking for theft.

argh923 09-18-06 03:24 PM

They did indeed ship the next day. Here's a question, though.

When I signed up, I signed up for the two-game plan. Later that night, I went ahead and upgraded to the three game plan. The next morning, I checked the queue to find that three games had shipped (Saints Row, Chromehounds, & Lego Star Wars). That day, however, I only got two shipping notifications via email - Chromehounds and LSW. Today, I got two games in the mail...again, Chromehounds & LSW. Is it possible that my queue has a glitch in it that's showing them as having shipped SR when they haven't?

Sent them an email a little earlier regarding this.

Otherwise, no complaints...except it's REALLY stupid that they print the name of the game on the outside of the envelope. That's just asking for theft.

Nevermind....Saints Row arrived the next day. :)

mrmagoo 09-19-06 02:39 PM

Gameznflix is the superior service for those who live on the East Coast. Shipping time is always 2 days for me and they have an unadvertised quick return system in place which works about 95% of the time opposed to the 25% to 50% of the time in Gamefly's system. Just make sure you match up the UPC numbers from your mailer and game disc holder.

Their only weak point is packaging, which is slightly flimsy, and new releases. Often new releases won't ship until the following day and they have an odd system of changing the status to "on order" opposed to "short wait". But even that flaw can be overlooked as they will easily beat Gamefly by at least a day.

Also, the price is far superior. 3 games at a time is only 17 bucks a month opposed to Gamefly's price of $30+.

Gameznflix is AWESOME! Especially like Flay said about us east coasters, VERY fast shipping. They just recently upgraded thier site and I could'nt be happier with thier service (and price for that matter).

DVDKrayzie 09-19-06 03:23 PM

well i get sick of gamefly "losing" my games and them magically finding them 2 weeks later so i signed up for this gameznflix like u guys suggested (also i live in sacramento where i guess they have a distribution center). every single gamebi put into my queue says short wait (all 360 games). so now i guess im paying for nothing. gamefly cannot be the best service, this is crazy.

argh923 09-19-06 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
well i get sick of gamefly "losing" my games and them magically finding them 2 weeks later so i signed up for this gameznflix like u guys suggested (also i live in sacramento where i guess they have a distribution center). every single gamebi put into my queue says short wait (all 360 games). so now i guess im paying for nothing. gamefly cannot be the best service, this is crazy.

Ignore the short wait...all games say that, but so far, I haven't missed a single game that I wanted, and all five I've had have had short wait. Don't sweat it.

argh923 09-19-06 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrmagoo
They just recently upgraded thier site and I could'nt be happier with thier service (and price for that matter).

Upgraded? Yikes. It's still ugly and non-user friendly.

DVDKrayzie 09-19-06 04:50 PM

Ignore the short wait...all games say that, but so far, I haven't missed a single game that I wanted, and all five I've had have had short wait. Don't sweat it.

so even though it says short wait, they're still (probably) ging to ship it today? I hope so, I want to leave gamefly forever--they are absolutely horrible ( I don't mind the prices, but their "service" is garbage). I never even used to rent games at all, but since I've become a gamerscore whore and 360 games are $60 a pop, it's not very economical to not rent.

fab 09-19-06 04:54 PM

I've had pretty good luck with Gamefly lately. The turnaround time is pretty horrendous, but the availability has been good. I've been with them almost 1 year. I really like their member incentive/bonus program where you get 5% to 10% off used games and $5 towards buying used games every 3 months.

With that said, I'm going to give gamesnflix a try since I'm always looking out for a better deal.

--
fab

pizzamousechips 09-19-06 07:03 PM

Looks like I'm gonna jump on the gameznflix bandwagon. Anybody know of any trial deals aside from the default ones on the site? A free month would be very nice on my wallet.

argh923 09-19-06 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
so even though it says short wait, they're still (probably) ging to ship it today? I hope so, I want to leave gamefly forever--they are absolutely horrible ( I don't mind the prices, but their "service" is garbage). I never even used to rent games at all, but since I've become a gamerscore whore and 360 games are $60 a pop, it's not very economical to not rent.

Yeah, they'll pretty much always ship that day. The turnaround time is phenomenal, as well...I sent Saints Row back (bought it) yesterday, and today they shipped Madden out.

DVDKrayzie 09-20-06 12:25 AM

well nothing shipped today:( hopefully tomorrow. i went toi cancel my gamefly service (3 games) and i got an offer to stay at 30% off so i took that for now