Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NHL 2K7 (2K Sports) vs NHL 07 (EA Sports) - Which to get?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sites that I have been on seem to indicate that these 360 games are coming out on the same day in the US, but different days here in Canada. I had the NHL 2K6 and enjoyed it, but I think that I am going to check out the EA sports version this time.

Anyone have a preference either way yet?

Last edited by movieking; 09-03-06 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-03-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

According to the EGM I just read, the EA version is the one to get. They say the graphics are next gen and it has good gameplay since it was built for the 360. As for 2K7, they said it had Xbox 1 graphics and the gameplay was decent. I am not a fan of EA at all, but it looks like they will be getting my money this time.
Old 09-03-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
While I would normally recommend going against an EA title, I think that NHL 07 (EA) is definitely the one to get.

NHL 2K7 looks like a minor upgrade from last year (which wasn't really next-gen), NHL 07 looks to have truly next-gen graphics AND gameplay.

This hands-on preview has me salivating:

http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1435/NHL-07/p1/

Here's an HD video preview:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...pe=wmv&pl=game
Old 09-03-06, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was almost at the point where I wasn't going to buy a hockey game this year. After watching that preview of NHL 07, I am pretty sure I will pick it up. The puck control system sounds awesome, with using the right analog to control the stick.

I must say I don't like that they removed the turbo button, but maybe it won't be too bad. I also think some of the movement animations look a bit unrealistic. Sounds like they are skimping out in multiplayer as well, with only head to head play.

Last edited by flashburn; 09-03-06 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the best game for those of us who don't have a next gen system?
Old 09-04-06, 01:00 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm definitely picking up NHL '07 and possibly renting NHL 2K7. I've purchased two 2K games instead of EA's counterparts, in the past (2003 and 2005.) I've found that I don't really enjoy Sega's games as much as EA's, when it comes to hockey. Plus, NHL '07 looks incredible (of course, graphics don't make a game good,) and the new control system sounds amazing.
Old 09-05-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always liked the 2K series, but it seemed rather glitchy lately with using a franchise. Games locking up, not being able to sim...etc.

NHL 07 looks good this year. Apparently you mainly use the Analog sticks for the entire game. Seems interesting. May take a while to get used to.
Old 09-05-06, 11:08 AM

For the old systems, I can't imagine NHL 2007 overtaking 2k7 in quality.

All of the excitement for NHL 2007 comes from what's been seen for the 360 version. EA skipped last year to give a new, completely separate team time to write a whole new game. The Xbox/PS2 versions are the same old team, which will probably deliver the typical yearly evolution of their franchise.

Only those who, for some unknown reason, actually preferred Xbox/PS2 NHL 2006 over 2k6 (which blew away the 360 version, by the way) should be planning to travel the EA route again this year.
Old 09-05-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For the last 5 years, I've bought the 2K sports games...but this year I'm switching back to EA since i picked up a 360.

Ea hasn't made a 'great' hockey game in 7 years at this point. '07 better be great, and it looks like it could be with the new control system. In contrast, I think I'm heading elsewhere for Soccer this year, as FIFA 2006 left a bad taste in my mouth...
Old 09-05-06, 09:08 PM

NHL 2007... we should get a league going.

Dibs on Oilers if we do.
Old 09-05-06, 09:20 PM

Strange...you need me to hand you your ass in hockey as payback for halo 2 last year? LOL
Old 09-05-06, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
Strange...you need me to hand you your ass in hockey as payback for halo 2 last year? LOL
Crosby won't even protect you from the pure destruction I will cause you and your Xbox.

GO OILERS!!!
Old 09-05-06, 09:51 PM

but you can't handle...EVGENI MALKIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1RYBc7uuyM
Old 09-06-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
That kid looks great, but does anyone else on the team handle the puck?

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
but you can't handle...EVGENI MALKIN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1RYBc7uuyM
Old 09-06-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Corleone
Crosby won't even protect you from the pure destruction I will cause you and your Xbox.

GO OILERS!!!
Oh wow dude. I'm gonna have to pick this up just to show you that I can kick your ass at yet another game. Your Oilers don't stand a chance against my last place Pens fool!
Old 09-06-06, 09:57 AM

Slightly off-topic:

It's a little ironic that lordzeppelin rules out FIFA in this 'EA NHL reborn'-type of thread.

FIFA looks to be undergoing a similar overhaul for the game releasing this fall. The only difference is that NHL went a year without a next-gen offering, helping to cleanse the palate, while two FIFA games (the first really disapponting) were launched at consumers withing six months.

Gametrailers has a promising video of FIFA. At the very least, it seems like it can't fail to be an improvement, even if it still doesn't match Konami's game. http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=3176
Old 09-07-06, 12:33 AM

mr. snow (informer?:P) - but that's just how EA has always been, no? Up and down. Madden 2005 sucked so frigging bad in comparison to NFL2k5, that EA had to go and put 2k sports out of the market.

EA hockey used to be the standard...and they got spanked in the first 2 revs on the original PS and Saturn with NHL Powerplay and Faceoff. It took them several years to recover from that, with NHL 2000. They forgot how to make a fun and solid playing hockey game - which has always proven paramount, in this particular sports game, over graphics - and started making stuff that looked important and pretty, without caring if the goalie AI never evolved. Contrary to popular belief, as fun as a game or two of 11-4 wins is, it gets old quick.

So now EA has finally realized that it's been getting kicked squarely in the teeth for the past 3 years in a row on gameplay and control...and they look ready to reclaim the title - at the same time the FIFA series, in my opinion, has gotten too complicated and lost just that. I hope FIFA is getting a good overhaul, because after heading in the right direction, they veered off again. 2006, on all systems, was an embarassment. They took all the control of set pieces away, the AI flat out cheated, and they have way too many buttons to do simple things - things that have been present in a more simple form on the Konami and even 8 years ago on Sega soccer games.

So I don't see the irony...but I look forward to playing NHL '07 with you and the rest of the DVDTalk hockey faithful...and hopefully EA will make me once again say "damn, I love this game".

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 09-07-06 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NHL 07 demo is up for the 360 (Shootout only I believe)
Old 09-07-06, 09:33 AM

lordzeppelin, I agree with everything you wrote.

I just found it an irony that you'd announce you've given up on FIFA (in what is basically an "Oh my gosh! EA's actually gotten hockey right"-thread) just as it, finally, looks to get the NHL-style overhaul it's needed for years.

And a disclosure: Personally, I have absolutely loved NHL 2k, from 2k2 through last year (old system version was great; 360 version stunk), so NHL 07 is just a rental. Only if EA pulls off what they've promised will I make it this year's hockey purchase.
Old 09-07-06, 06:31 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
NHL 07 demo is up for the 360 (Shootout only I believe)
It's about damn time. I cannot wait to download it and play it. I'll definitely have to do that ASAP.
Old 09-07-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NHL 2K7 nets gold
Xbox, Xbox 360 versions of 2K Sports' NHL 2K7 skate off to factory; PlayStation 2 version stuck in penalty box until later in the month.
By Tim Surette, GameSpot
Posted Sep 7, 2006 3:16 pm PT
While most of America is fixated on the upcoming football season, which literally kicks off tonight, fans of another gritty sport are sharpening their blades in anticipation of the beginning of their sport's season. Professional hockey drops the puck in mid-September, but games based on the NHL are ready to skate now.

2K Sports' NHL 2K7 titles for the Xbox and Xbox 360 have completed development and are off for replication, says the publisher. The game will be on the market on September 12 and will retail for $59.99 on the Xbox 360 and $19.99 on the Xbox.

Though the versions for Microsoft's console are ready to skate, it appears as though the PlayStation 2 edition isn't quite ready to leave the locker room. 2K Sports says that the game will available "in late September." A PlayStation 3 version is also in the works and should be ready this holiday season.
Old 09-08-06, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2K Sports is releasing a full Xbox Live Marketplace demo of NHL 2K7!
It will be up on Marketplace at 2am (PST?) Friday September 8th!

What you get:
- 4 playable teams,
- 1 5 minute period
- 1 or 2 player
(Xbox Live not supported)

Quick Update: the four teams are the final four from last year's NHL playoffs - Anaheim, Edmonton, Buffalo, and Carolina.
Old 09-08-06, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Downloading the NHL2k7 demo, although I am pretty sure I will be getting NHL07 instead.
Old 09-08-06, 06:44 AM

I played the EA demo for about 35 minutes last night to get a good feel for the new controls, and I'm pretty happy with it. It allows for combos almost - hold the puck right then quickly swing left for a backhand flip over the pad...it's pretty damn nice. However, I hope it's just as nice in the actual game as opposed to the shoot out. I was thinking it might be a bit of a pain to try some of this in the heat of the action. I noticed EA moved the passing to the right trigger, which could be quite interesting. I can't wait to see how that plays out in the game - a very good control move, I think.
Old 09-08-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NHL 2k7 is $19.99 for XBox and $59.99 for 360!?! Holy crap, that's insane. I can't imagine any upgrade is worth the 40 bucks, but damn, that's a huge difference. I'd much rather play on 360 so maybe I'll just wait out the price drop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.