Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NHL 2K7 (2K Sports) vs NHL 07 (EA Sports) - Which to get?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NHL 2K7 (2K Sports) vs NHL 07 (EA Sports) - Which to get?

Old 09-13-06, 02:52 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been addicted to NHL '07 for the last 24 hours, and I'm really enjoying it. It's hard to score on Superstar Mode, but at least it's a challenge (unlike a lot of the previous EA games.) The only gripe I have with it is the lag on LIVE. I hope they fix that.
Old 09-14-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
I played the 2k7 demo, and it seemed to be the same as always. It really didn't blow me away. The last EA hockey game I played (NHL 05) sucked, so I am skeptical. I might just buy the Xbox or PS2 version and save $30. I can live without the extra graphics. Is the Xbox version backwards compatible?
Old 09-14-06, 02:20 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I doubt it, because the XBOX 360 version is available.
Old 09-14-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked up EA...and I was frustrated out of my mind for 3 full games...then, suddenly, I became addicted. Bravo, EA, you have a winner.
Old 09-14-06, 10:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I wish I didn't suck at using the Skill Stick. Then again, it's not like you get a lot of time to think in Superstar.
Old 09-14-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to all three Gamestop's in my town today. Nobody had any NHL 07's left. Plenty of copies of 2k7 on the shelf, though. I plan on getting it at Best Buy tomorrow after work. Looking forward to playing it.
Old 09-15-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wick
I wish I didn't suck at using the Skill Stick. Then again, it's not like you get a lot of time to think in Superstar.
Definitely. I am still using rookie, and while I have a bit more time, you don't have much opportunity to do anything fancy. Besides, the CPU is pretty good at defense, and getting around them is not easy.
Old 09-15-06, 01:45 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by movieking
Definitely. I am still using rookie, and while I have a bit more time, you don't have much opportunity to do anything fancy. Besides, the CPU is pretty good at defense, and getting around them is not easy.
I'm trying to be creative with my plays, and dekes, but the goalies are incredible on Superstar.
Old 09-15-06, 03:25 PM

NHL 07 is 39.99 for xbox360 at Fry's - Manhattan Beach, CA
Old 09-16-06, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't win a faceoff on the 360 EA '07 to save my damn life. Every game I'm losing like 32-3 in faceoffs...
Old 09-16-06, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same here, its shear luck whenever I win a face off.

I've also had characters get stuck twice. Once a player was stuck INSIDE of the net. The other time the character was on the middle of the ice stuck in a "shot" animation. I've been seeing quite a few bugs so far, and I have only played 3 games. I am really disliking the whole "randomness" when it comes to goals. Sure there are sometimes some crazy things that happen on shots, but not every single one!
Old 09-16-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I rented NHL 07 and I'm not sure how much I like the Shot Stick. I played 2-3 games and the Shootout a bunch of times. The control seems sloppy at some points. Like I want to shoot and he didn't. The game DOES seems pretty good though, and I know you can turn on CLASSIC control if I really continue to hate the shot stick. One timers also seem a bit harder. I cannot seem to get a 1-timer slapshot....oh well. Faceoffs are a mess too....I think I won maybe 2-5 in the 2-3 game sI played.
Old 09-16-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The shot stick isn't that bad for me, it's the right trigger passing. Also, I get alot of incidents where action stops and it says the controller is disconnected (I have the wireless) and it won't start again until I hold down the button to get the green light going again.

EDIT: Oh and it only happens with NHL 07, so it can't be a bad battery. Only during tense stick movement, too, like goal mouth scrambles, or shootouts, or breakaways.

Last edited by nickdawgy; 09-16-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-16-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone get NHL 07 for PSP? Just curious at to whats its like for portable.
Old 09-16-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, after a few games playing, let me list my pros and cons:

PROS:

I really like how teams put players on waivers, and how the game does the salary cap so well. I guess they made it true to life regarding the CAB, minus the labor disputes

I love Gary Thorne and Bill Clement. Ok, Clement is kind of annoying, but Thorne to me is true hockey.

The skill stick is fun.

The graphics are excellent (360 version).

The sound is great, nice crisp arena music, decent songs.

The animations are top notch.

The goalies move and react well.

Love the email system.

CONS:

No retro uniforms. From what I could see, teams have their home, away, and alternate unis. I like my game to have a variety.

The goal announcements sound the same if the home or away team scores. I like a bit of excitement when I score (who doesn't ), and the PA announcer should show it like in real life.

No turbo button. While that may be considered arcadey, I like it.

Hardly any presentation at all. All I see every every stoppage of play is a replay. I have seen the goalies moving back and forth in the crease during a stoppage, and the bench, but nothing else.

The PA announcer doesn't say my name, and I mean first AND last (more of a basketball style name) but in 2K5 (the last hockey game I played) they did.

Passing is way off, lots of icing.

That's all I have for right now. I am sure there are more things, both good and bad. But I am seriously leaning on trading this in for 2K7. Which sucks, because unlike Madden 07, I really like NHL 07, and would hate to lose it. I don't see the point of owning two hockey games, so I have to make a choice.
Old 09-17-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, anyone who picked up NHL2k7(Xbox360) want to trade it for NHL 07? I can't seem to get into it.
Old 09-18-06, 01:09 AM

Seeing "The animations are top notch" in a discussion of NHL 07 requires me to get a net and a white jacket ready for use. Animations are brutally rough... often bad in context (e.g., a guy hit from behind often reacts like he got stopped with a shove in the chest) and in gameplay control.

It may be the very weakest area of the game.

And during gameplay, the visuals actually pale, by a wide margin, to its competitor.
Old 09-18-06, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree, the animations are definitely lacking. There is never a fluid connection between moves. The puck also moves like there is a ghost pushing it around.
Old 09-18-06, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, after more playing with NHL 07, I still cannot get into the shot stick. There are times where I missed open nets because the player would not shoot, no matter how fast I pushed UP on the shot stick.
Old 09-18-06, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
The PA announcer doesn't say my name, and I mean first AND last (more of a basketball style name) but in 2K5 (the last hockey game I played) they did.
By "your" name do you mean the players names? I've mainly been playing with the Devils, but I have noticed they have said "Martin Brodeur", "Marty Brodeur", "Scott Gomez", etc. In fact, I think for the majority of the team I have heard the commentators say the players full names occasionally.
Old 09-18-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yeah, after more playing with NHL 07, I still cannot get into the shot stick. There are times where I missed open nets because the player would not shoot, no matter how fast I pushed UP on the shot stick.
I am still having a lot of trouble with it as well. I've been on breakaways and have had open nets, and can't shoot because the player won't react. I've actually put on a two player game when I am playing alone just so I can practice shooting in a game setting, and I still can't get it to work. I've also gone through the instruction manual a few times. It seems worst when the opposing team is at the top of the rink, but it happens on both nets. I know how it is supposed to work, but unfortunately, quite often it doesn't.

It's so frustrating that I am actually considering trading or selling the game.
Old 09-18-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
It seems worst when the opposing team is at the top of the rink, but it happens on both nets. I know how it is supposed to work, but unfortunately, quite often it doesn't.

It's so frustrating that I am actually considering trading or selling the game.
Make sure you have the controller set to "Camera Relative". My son set it up so he has to push the stick up (or down, I don't know which) regardless of which net he's shooting at.
Old 09-18-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mr.snowmizer
Seeing "The animations are top notch" in a discussion of NHL 07 requires me to get a net and a white jacket ready for use. Animations are brutally rough... often bad in context (e.g., a guy hit from behind often reacts like he got stopped with a shove in the chest) and in gameplay control.

It may be the very weakest area of the game.

And during gameplay, the visuals actually pale, by a wide margin, to its competitor.
I was mainly speaking of the goalie

But still, it's been awhile since I played EA NHL, so maybe it looks good to my untrained eye.

By the way, I am selling mine. Check out the trade forum if you want to pick up a copy cheap.
Old 09-18-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by flashburn
By "your" name do you mean the players names? I've mainly been playing with the Devils, but I have noticed they have said "Martin Brodeur", "Marty Brodeur", "Scott Gomez", etc. In fact, I think for the majority of the team I have heard the commentators say the players full names occasionally.
No my actual name. Not the players.
Old 09-18-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
No my actual name. Not the players.
LOL, okay.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.