Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Saint's Row who's picking it up, and other discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Is there a way to get more songs onto my personal mp3 player in the game? I bought all the tracks I wanted from the CD store but would like to add more, either from my hard drive or download some, if there's another way. Thanks.
Old 09-05-06, 03:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
Is there a way to get more songs onto my personal mp3 player in the game? I bought all the tracks I wanted from the CD store but would like to add more, either from my hard drive or download some, if there's another way. Thanks.
As far as using your own music from the hard drive, the only way I know of is to have a playlist already set up, which you can use as a Custom Playlist. I'm not sure if there is a way to mix and match your custom tracks with the in-game music.
Old 09-06-06, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well Saint's Row is officially the first video game that I've been carded for. In fact it's the first video game/movie/CD/movie I've been carded for. Oh well great game (GTA who?) I have a feeling that this game is going to make Rockstar have to step it up for nevtgen GTA, which is good. EA should take some notes from this practice.
Old 09-06-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Is this worth it from the multiplayer stand point? I would probably play very little of this offline.
Old 09-06-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
I love this game. I can't believe some of the trash that the NPC's say to you... I had a hooker say "Don't be givin me no hepatitis!"
Old 09-06-06, 12:11 PM
RVP

Does anyone have any tips for the higher level Mayhem missions? I am trying to finish a lvl 8 mission, but I always get the worst weapons and bonuses. Like get a bonus by using a pistol, and I get the weakest pistol. Or get a bonus with a thrown weapon, and i get molotovs. How am I supposed to score over $800,000 with these bonuses?

Also how do you locate hitman targets? When I activate on in the HUD I don't see anything different. Do I have to be close to them before they show up?
Old 09-06-06, 02:00 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by RVP
Does anyone have any tips for the higher level Mayhem missions? I am trying to finish a lvl 8 mission, but I always get the worst weapons and bonuses. Like get a bonus by using a pistol, and I get the weakest pistol. Or get a bonus with a thrown weapon, and i get molotovs. How am I supposed to score over $800,000 with these bonuses?

Also how do you locate hitman targets? When I activate on in the HUD I don't see anything different. Do I have to be close to them before they show up?
Level 8 was always the easiest for me with the unlimited rocket launcher ammo. But here are some tips:

1. Make sure you start the later Mayhem missions with at least three stars. The faster helicopters and FBI SUVs start rolling in, the more lucrative it will be. FBI SUV's should be about 40 grand each.

2. Drive a very expensive car to the Mayhem area like the Attrizone. You can destroy it immediately for a nice $40,000 head start or let the multiplier build up for a bit before blowing it up.

3. As most areas have a rail passing though, derail a train while waiting for more police to arrive. Each destroyed car is worth at least $25,000.

For the Hitman targets, they have to be nearby to be picked up on the radar. Also, certain targets will only appear in the daytime while others only roam the streets at night.
Old 09-06-06, 02:24 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cusm
Is this worth it from the multiplayer stand point? I would probably play very little of this offline.
I enjoy the multiplayer modes, but IMO the offline is where it's at. You're talking about a huge map with dozens of different things to do, versus some small maps with single purpose tasks. For me multiplayer is a fun diversion but it is only a fraction of what the main game is.

Also, there are still some issues with the multiplayer mode as far as connections and lag that they are supposedly going to fix with an upcoming patch. Sometimes I'll wait 10 minutes without being to connect to a match.

Last edited by DRG; 09-06-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-07-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
If I have one complaint about this game, it would be the camera. I really wish there was a way to lock it at a certain angle. Since the game doesn't have an auto-aim feature, it can be very disorienting during a big shootout having the camera swinging all around and having to bring it back level while at the same time trying to aim FPS-style at 1 of the 10 people shooting at you.
Old 09-07-06, 12:03 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait I finally get my copy tomorrow.
Old 09-07-06, 12:37 PM
RVP

Originally Posted by Flay
Level 8 was always the easiest for me with the unlimited rocket launcher ammo. But here are some tips:

3. As most areas have a rail passing though, derail a train while waiting for more police to arrive. Each destroyed car is worth at least $25,000.
Thanks for the Tips. I started passing these easily with the advice. I didn't even realize you could hit the train. Hitting the lead car with a rocket, and watching the whole train derail was great!
Old 09-07-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but is there a way to lock on to your target for shooting?
Old 09-07-06, 06:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

No, it's different than GTA in that sense. It takes a little while to get used to, because you have to manually aim towards your targets. Personally, I prefer it that way, but to each their own.
Old 09-07-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forget everything else. I'm willing to say that I like SR better than GTA just because of how you aim in the game. I hate, hate, hate that about GTA and I always have. I put up with it since, other than that, I loved the series and played all of the games since GTA3, but now that I've had it how it is in SR, I don't want to go back to the GTA style at all.
Old 09-07-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
Forget everything else. I'm willing to say that I like SR better than GTA just because of how you aim in the game. I hate, hate, hate that about GTA and I always have. I put up with it since, other than that, I loved the series and played all of the games since GTA3, but now that I've had it how it is in SR, I don't want to go back to the GTA style at all.
BUT we don't know what GTA IV will bring. Tho I agree on the part where Saint's Row is better than GTA series.
Old 09-07-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, of course. I just mean that now that Saint's Row has brought that new gameplay point to this type of game, I don't want to see the next GTA game to stick with what they've done before. They are going to have to come up with something else now, and I'm sure many others feel the same way.
Old 09-08-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just downloaded the demo last night. Looking forward to checking it out. I've own and played all the previous 3-D GTA games on the PS2, but to be honest I never came close to completing one without eventually tiring of it. Curious to see how this differs.
Old 09-08-06, 09:30 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

A few more mayhem notes to add to Flay's excellent tips:

When you start a mayhem mission, check to see what weapons are infinite. It's pretty random. On levels 7-8 at least you can usually (but not always) get infinite rocket launchers. If the activity starts WITHOUT infinite rockets I usually just exit the activity right away and run back to the spot to start it again.

Don't be afraid to attack your gang members. At one point I was getting bonuses for SUVs and noticed the little red arrow above a Saints hummer. I'm not sure how deep into a combo I was, but I got over $100,000 just for blowing each one up and finished the mayhem really quickly at that point.

Have some gang members at your side. They're not incredibly useful in the destruction, but they will pick off some of the cops and agents while you are busy trying to send a rocket to that helicopter or train. If they die, only save them at your convenience... don't waste too much time or put yourself in a dangerous situation to do so.
Old 09-08-06, 06:56 PM

I played multiplayer today for the first time and boy was it laggy. This would be very fun online without the lag hopefully the patch comes out soon. The single player alone though was worth the purchase.
Old 09-09-06, 01:02 PM
RVP

The Price semi mission is too freakin hard! How am I supposed to drive, avoid pipe bombs, avoid rollerz, and shoot? And my 2 homies don't even shoot at him. I need something better than the pistol to take out a semi. Does anybody have some help for me?
Old 09-09-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After playing the demo, I'll definitely be picking this up. Keith David is in it too