DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Help. 360 Live Troubles (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/475460-help-360-live-troubles.html)

Fripp 08-24-06 01:00 PM

Help. 360 Live Troubles

I need an assist from someone with 360 Live trouble-shooting experience:

My best friend just got a 360, and while I have been able to voice chat with everyone else I have ever tried it with, for some reason I can’t connect to this guy. When he or I accept the chat invite it just says “connecting” for 20 seconds and then just disappears. No “error” or anything – just nothing happens. I can send voice messages etc, just can’t connect for chat. This doesn’t happen to anyone else I have chatted with and he has been able to chat with other people as well, he says it just happens with me and one other guy.

I have not been able to try and online multi player game with him as he doesn’t have any games as of yet. But I fear it will be the same situation as the chat -- I got an email from him this morning and he tried Texas Hold ‘Em with some friends last night. It always worked except with the one other friend that he has the “chat” trouble with. When he tried to enter a game with that guy the log-in “failed”. And when he tried to host a game and that guy wanted to join, his log-in “failed”.

I want to tell him how to fix this, but I am stumped. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

Flay 08-24-06 01:10 PM

I had a problem similar to that when attempting to connect up with Perfect Dark months ago. My router was the issue. Multiplayer worked perfectly fine after I plugged the 360 into my cable modem directly.

Canis Firebrand 08-24-06 01:59 PM

Sounds like Router issues and NAT.

Look at this page for a start. Also, look on the Live troubleshooting section on the XBox homepage.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/co...on-testnat.htm

Fripp 08-24-06 02:03 PM

Router issue, eh? That sounds weird, but no weirder than the issue hand. I know he has a D-link router. Maybe a firmware update would help? I will have him try it with the direct connection tonight to confirm the router is not playing nice.

Thanks Flay. If this works I owe you a cookie.

pinata242 08-24-06 02:04 PM

Having had 2 D-Link routers die on me in the last 3 years, I'd say get away from it as soon as possible. I liked the first one that I thought its dying was just a fluke. :thmbsdwn:

edstein 08-24-06 02:37 PM

My d-link routers work great. Their not all bad.

kakihara1 08-24-06 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
My d-link routers work great. Their not all bad.

yep my DGL-4300 is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Michael Corvin 08-24-06 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Having had 2 D-Link routers die on me in the last 3 years, I'd say get away from it as soon as possible. I liked the first one that I thought its dying was just a fluke. :thmbsdwn:

I had a Linksys Router & modem die on me and two Netgear routers die on me in the past 3 years. :shrug: I'm on D-link now and haven't had any problems... yet. It's been about a year though.

pinata242 08-24-06 03:11 PM

Yeah, after the 2nd D-Link, I knew it was time to change. I wasn't prepared to get a Linksys or Netgear from other people's stories.

That left Belkin, Buffalo, and Robotics. I decided to go Buffalo because of the ties with Nintendo and the ability to flash to DD-WRT in case I decided that was for me.

Like hard drives, networking brands are very subjective to individual experiences. ;)

kakihara1 08-24-06 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I had a Linksys Router & modem die on me and two Netgear routers die on me in the past 3 years. :shrug: I'm on D-link now and haven't had any problems... yet. It's been about a year though.

I had one Netgear die on me and my brother and a friend of mine (BeanDip0001) both had netgear routers die on them they were all three wgr-614 of different version numbers.

MasterofDVD 08-24-06 11:03 PM

My D-Link works fairly well. I do have numerous issues trying to play Perfect Dark online but I gave up long ago with that game. For me I think my internet service is more of a problem than my router.

Fripp 08-25-06 10:21 AM

Thanks for the advice Vryce, et al.

It does indeed sound like a Router/NAT issue. I will report back what I find...