Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

OXM October #62

Old 08-21-06, 11:42 PM

OXM October #62

I just got October copy of OXM and I am blown away by the demo of F.E.A.R. While it's pretty raw as a demo, the computer enemies are pretty smart. Oh by the rest of the demo games are nothing but filler(Prey and Top Spin 2 demos).
Old 08-22-06, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posted my feelings here the other day

It was another lackluster grouping of demos and fluff. The magazine is fairly enjoyable this month so I guess it evens out. FEAR is one of the few games out there recently that had me thinking about making my PC game worthy again but I passed and now it looks like I may even pass on the 360 version.
Old 08-22-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I got my OXM yesterday. I played the FEAR demo briefly. It seemed ok, but it was a little raw as stated by others. The enemies seemed smart as they dove through windows and what not. I did not look at the rest of the disc. There IS a Japanese demo you can unlock also though.
Old 08-22-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm loving F.E.A.R. on the PC. Definitely think it will be one to pick up on the 360. Enemies are pretty good at dodging, turning over things to use as barriers and sneaking around to get you from behind on occasion. Fire fights are very intense with the damage you can do to the environment. Rooms will get filled with smoke and the chatter over the radios also adds to the realism. Combine that with a very creepy story and solid multiplayer and you have a winner.
Old 08-22-06, 12:01 PM
Banned

I don't know if FEAR on the 360 is any different as I haven't played it yet, but FEAR on the PC is amazing. The AI is some of the best I have ever seen. You can quicksave and reload right before a firefight, and the enemies will act differently every time. Monolith knows how to make some awesome FPS games (the NOLF series, Shogo, AvP2, Condemned, FEAR).
Old 08-22-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Condemened is a brilliant game but a FPS it is not.
Old 08-22-06, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Condemened is a brilliant game but a FPS it is not.

Apples and oranges. Condemned has all the elements of a FPS except for the shooting. (Although, Condemned does have guns, but they are rather rare.) I still consider it a FPS, even if it is not a "pure" FPS. JRPGs are still RPGs even though they are not "pure" RPGs. A true RPG lets you create your own character and let you play however you want whether as a goody-twoshoes paladin or as an evil murderer. JRPGs typically make the character for you and you have no freedom to play however you want, so you are not actually "role playing". JRPGs are still called RPG even though the actual "role playing" is extremely limited.
Old 08-22-06, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

S in FPS = Shooter to me. 98% of Condemned is melee, no guns. Not sure how I would classify it though. Surival Horror? First Person Adventure?

Doesn't matter as it is a fucking brilliant game.
Old 08-22-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also want to state again how frustrating it is to get my issue of this magazine 1-2 weeks after other subscribers do. I really want to play the FEAR demo.
Old 08-22-06, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
S in FPS = Shooter to me. 98% of Condemned is melee, no guns. Not sure how I would classify it though. Surival Horror? First Person Adventure?

Most sites call it FPA (First Person Action). I just use FPS because it is the traditional generic term. Most games nowadays are a mix of genres so the traditional terms don't work as well in recent years.
Old 08-22-06, 05:21 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm going to buy the new issue of OXM, once it becomes available at newsstands, so that I can play the F.E.A.R. demo. I can't wait to finally be able to play that game.
Old 08-22-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my OXM in the mail today, got all the points and unlocked the content. Am I the only one that's sick of the Roland advertisements? I'd rather watch 4 60 sec. commercials (that I've already seen) than these 4-minute piles.

F.E.A.R - I thought it was great! It looked beautiful, and I loved the atmosphere. I caught myself twice twitch shooting at apparitions. It seems like the AI is really good. I love how they scattered from grenades, and would take positions behind walls then duck and move to different cover. Of course all of this from someone who really wanted to play it on the PC, but the slideshow I ended up with was no fun at all.

Zegapain (unlocked when you get all of points) - Reminded me a lot of Zone of Enders for the PS2, the graphics were really arcadey/colorful. Pretty straight forward even with all the menus in Japanese (just hit A to progress through the menus). Finished the mission with a B rank, which probably wasn't all that good. I'm not a big fan of the ZoE type games anyway so I would skip this even if it were released here.
Old 08-22-06, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I read that the F.E.A.R. demo will be available on Marketplace soon. Looking for the link...

NM, that was that Leipzig Games Convention rumor that stated it would be released on a Saturday or something.

Last edited by Gromit; 08-22-06 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm hoping my issue shows up soon. I want to try out F.E.A.R. asap.
Old 08-22-06, 11:20 PM

I was able to pick up the new OXM at Border's today. Just a head's up for anyone who doesn't have a subscription.