Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

*WARNING* Dead Rising can damage your console!

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-15-06, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with X-Box 360 Tech Support and they verified it...

Dead Rising killed my console!!!

Had my 360 for 8 months with very few problems. Played Dead Rising for 2 days and my console took a dump. Started with locking up on various games and has now progressed to 3 red lights and $129/2 week turnaround repair cost.

The X-Box Tech verified that the game uses "advanced" 360 features that may cause some consoles to fail. Something to do with the memory cache. (So I guess technically it's not the game's fault, but a hardware defect in the console itself.) Apparently the game developer has contacted Microsoft about it and they're working on getting a patch out on X-Box Live to fix it. She recommended to me NOT to play the game once I receive my repaired console (once you get the red lights it's too late) until after the patch is out.

Just a heads up out there.

-Jason
Old 08-15-06, 08:43 PM

WTF?????
Old 08-15-06, 08:48 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
A zombie video game infected a system killing it in the process?!

Wicked

... ahem, I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 08-15-06, 09:00 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Eh, I take anything the tech support guys say with a grain of salt. Seems like there would have been an announcement about it otherwise. Sorry about your console though.
Old 08-15-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts
I heard it was overheating the CPUs, as it uses the multi-core processor as a multi-core processor.

The game runs phenomenally well, and considering the number of enemies/textures/polygons on screen, it's no surprise it's pushing the system (even though it seems like it's getting by with ease).

That said, I can't stress enough: Pay the $40 - $50 and buy the 2 year warrenty up front.
Old 08-15-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me check on this with Capcom...it may take a day or so to verify from them though.
Old 08-15-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I was just reading on Digg.com that Capcom forgot to test their game on non-HDTVs, and a lot of the mission critical text is unreadable if you use the composite video cable. Anyone try that out?
Old 08-15-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've finished the game and have had no problems.

What the tech said sounds like horse shit. Caching would be done on the hard drive and removing the HDD would fix that problem.
Old 08-15-06, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I guess being broke and not being able to drop $60 saved my system.
Old 08-15-06, 09:37 PM

My copy locks up with or without the HD. I had no problems with my system until I played Dead Rising now I have 3 red lights.
Old 08-15-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this is just the overheating issue again. Another reason I put my money into upgrading my PC and skipped the 360. I really think its a good idea to get one of those cooling fan add ons for the 360 especially on games that use all three processors.
Old 08-15-06, 09:54 PM

If what the tech said is true about the advanced features causing the problem this is a major concern as I doubt games are going to get less advanced.
Old 08-15-06, 10:07 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have played a lot of DR (beat 72hr + Overtime and 35k into the Zombie Genocider achievment) and have not had a single problem with my launch day 360. I don't think the problems you mention are the result of anything other than inadequate cooling. DR does push the 360 harder than a lot of other games, which means extra heat is generated. My 360 in a very open space, and yours should be too.
Old 08-15-06, 10:17 PM

Considering how many ppl are playing Dead Rising, I think we would have an epidemic if there really was a legitimate issue.
Old 08-16-06, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason Reynolds
Just got off the phone with X-Box 360 Tech Support and they verified it...

Dead Rising killed my console!!!

Had my 360 for 8 months with very few problems. Played Dead Rising for 2 days and my console took a dump. Started with locking up on various games and has now progressed to 3 red lights and $129/2 week turnaround repair cost.

The X-Box Tech verified that the game uses "advanced" 360 features that may cause some consoles to fail. Something to do with the memory cache. (So I guess technically it's not the game's fault, but a hardware defect in the console itself.) Apparently the game developer has contacted Microsoft about it and they're working on getting a patch out on X-Box Live to fix it. She recommended to me NOT to play the game once I receive my repaired console (once you get the red lights it's too late) until after the patch is out.

Just a heads up out there.

-Jason
If the MS tech told you that a game they released caused your system to die, how can they charge you $129 to fix it? It is their fault your system died. I would contact the Better Business Bureau if this happened to me.
Old 08-16-06, 12:36 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Wheres the rolling laughing icon? Of course the MS rep told you it was Dead Rising...Not there precious system! Its the games that cause damage (As long as they are not 1st party games!)!!!

It has nothing to do with DR. Sure the game does freeze up on some people, but you are the first person I have heard to have claimed it broke there 360. Please see GameFaqs for confirmation.
Old 08-16-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
Mine is fine after 5 days of playing (knock on wood) so I am not worried about it. I still have 3 weeks to decide whether or not I want a warranty or not, and I'll probably just go the Best Buy route. If it craps out, I'll get a new one, and then register that one with MS.
Old 08-16-06, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Phod
Considering how many ppl are playing Dead Rising, I think we would have an epidemic if there really was a legitimate issue.
Nice choice of words.
Old 08-16-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Let me check on this with Capcom...it may take a day or so to verify from them though.
fkn loser, they won't tell you shit!!! "OH!! Jeff how you been buddy? Yeah we totally admit that our game is fucking up 360s" ........laughable man just laughable

Recent Photo of L&O interviewing a guy from Capcom (nice dress L&O)

Last edited by kakihara1; 08-16-06 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wait... You mean to tell me Oblivion wasn't using the 360 to its full potential?

Really?
Old 08-16-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Microsoft does have to do something about the caching/loading system on the 360. For the first few weeks Oblivion played fine. Fast startup and load times. Now that I'm 40 hours in the game has froze on me 4 or 5 times. The load times have also almost doubled. IT'S NOT THE 360! Every other game plays fine. Dead Rising may be having the same effect on some peoples consoles.
Old 08-16-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopower
Microsoft does have to do something about the caching/loading system on the 360. For the first few weeks Oblivion played fine. Fast startup and load times. Now that I'm 40 hours in the game has froze on me 4 or 5 times. The load times have also almost doubled. IT'S NOT THE 360! Every other game plays fine.
Have you tried that trick that empties out the cache for Oblivion? That is supposed to help, though I think you might lose a lot of stuff (if you stashed things in certain boxes, the box status will go back to it's empty default, and things like that).
Old 08-16-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

mopower, the problem you are having is normal, I actually had this happen the first time I used Oblivion. I hadn't ever had to reset the cache on a console game before, but then again no console has been used the way the 360 is. Right when I got Oblivion I had run it and then I deleted about 5-7 demos I no longer used and some music and so on. The next time I played Oblivion I couldn't stand it with the lpausing to load every couple minutes or sooner. I looked online and found that to fix it you hold down the A button (Really any button should work but I used A like the instructions) when you launch the game and keep the button pressed until the bethesda animation comes up. It clears the cache and will redo it so it isn't so fragmented.

I wonder how long till MS puts diskeeper on marketplace and charges 800 points for it?
Old 08-16-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"What in the world..."
Old 08-16-06, 10:34 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I bought Dead Rising as soon as it was available, and I've put about four hours into the game. I've only had one problem (*knocks on wood*) and that was the infamous "loading problem," where it won't load and stays on the loading screen forever.

I hope that's the only problem I get. I hope all of your systems are okay as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.