DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   N3:Ninty-Nine Nights Reviews (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/474433-n3-ninty-nine-nights-reviews.html)

XavierMike 08-13-06 06:09 PM

N3:Ninty-Nine Nights Reviews

Has anyone seen any reviews for N3? I saw one on Gamespot that didn't sound very good. I'm trying to decide between it and Dead Rising.

Liver&Onions 08-13-06 06:17 PM

Have you tried the two demos on the marketplace? They should give you some basici indication on which you should choose...

Deftones 08-13-06 06:29 PM

The Demo for that was repetitive as all hell.

young 08-13-06 06:35 PM

egm gave 99nights a pretty low score.

Liver&Onions 08-13-06 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
The Demo for that was repetitive as all hell.

and is supposed to be like the game according to EGM

Josh H 08-13-06 06:53 PM

EGM gave it a 4.5, 4.5, 6.0. Main complaints seemed to be stupid AI and being repetitive.

XavierMike 08-13-06 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
EGM gave it a 4.5, 4.5, 6.0. Main complaints seemed to be stupid AI and being repetitive.

Thats rough. I haven't recieved the new issue yet, so I'll be waiting to check it out. Too bad, N3 seems like it could have been good. I love the massive combos, but the demo did get repitive.

Wick 08-13-06 11:15 PM

I downloaded the demo and played it for about forty minutes. I got bored of it pretty quickly. It's very repetitive, hard to figure out who your enemies are (your allies will run into them and there'll just be a big group of units. It's hard to figure out which ones are enemies, and which are your allied soldiers.)

I thought about renting it before the demo was released and, after playing the demo, I'm unsure of whether or not I'll even do that.

Dragon Fly 08-14-06 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Wick
(your allies will run into them and there'll just be a big group of units. It's hard to figure out which ones are enemies, and which are your allied soldiers.)

I got annoyed with that too. At least you can't attack your own people or else I'd be screwed. ALong the way through my time with the demo it got to a point where I only had one soldier left. The game got pretty damn boring after that. "Oh yay! Look, another 300 enemies to slaughter!" Maybe there are more moves in the full game vs the demo, but yeah, it's extremely repetitive....

Canis Firebrand 08-14-06 09:01 AM

I was so looking forward to this game based solely off the trailer I saw during E3.

When I played the demo and learned it was basically a button mashing game, I became much less interested. I may rent it eventually, but I won't purchase it.

Now I have to hope that my other anticipated game isn't a flop, Enchanted Arm.

flashburn 08-14-06 09:53 AM

I've definitely gone from buy to rent. The shear fact that there will be no checkpoints in the final version is ludicrous. They expect me to replay a level after dieing 40 minutes to an hour + in? No thanks.

Noonan 08-14-06 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by flashburn
I've definitely gone from buy to rent. The shear fact that there will be no checkpoints in the final version is ludicrous. They expect me to replay a level after dieing 40 minutes to an hour + in? No thanks.

I agree. When I played the demo I died on the boss. I haven't tried it since cause I don't feel like going through the stage again. And I'm sure there will be much longer levels than that. Looks like I'll be skipping this one.

Wick 08-14-06 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vryce

Now I have to hope that my other anticipated game isn't a flop, Enchanted Arm.

I'm hoping that one is good, as well. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm not a big RPG gamer, but for some reason, I'm really interested in this title. Hopefully it's good and worth picking up - I may rent it before I buy it, just in case I don't like it.

Wick 08-14-06 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I agree. When I played the demo I died on the boss. I haven't tried it since cause I don't feel like going through the stage again. And I'm sure there will be much longer levels than that. Looks like I'll be skipping this one.

No checkpoints is bullshit. I'm not going to keep much interest in replaying a 40 minute long level, if I keep dying at the end.

The Bus 10-27-06 09:39 AM

In defense of Ninety Nine Nights

I have to be a dissenting voice and say that Ninety Nine Nights is a very good game. And I think it all has to do with your outlook of the game.

If you look at it as anything but an old-school arcade game, you're looking at it the wrong way. This is the kind of game that would eat up your quarters and is just fun to play. When someone calls it a "button-mashing" game I get a bit sad. It has as much depth as most games from 1985-1990: you go around, kill a bunch of stuff, get some items, save the world.

As a huge fan of Golden Axe, this is the type of game I readily welcome. The fact that these games don't much exist anymore is one of the reasons I like Ninety Nine Nights. And unlike some reviews I've read, I've experienced no slowdowns, no matter how massive the enemy hordes are.

I introduced the game to a friend of mine and explained it this way: "This is your attack button. This is your other attack button. This is jump. When your special move meter fills up, hit this button."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"Awesome!"

The demo is also one of the longer levels in the game. Some levels can be beaten in 10-15 minutes, meaning it's a nice game to take a break with when you're playing other stuff. Metacritic lists it as a "role playing game"... If this is a role-playing game, so is Gauntlet.

I have to admit that if you're not a fan of the genre, this won't change your mind. And at $50, there's other games I'd recommend before it. But if this review sparked any interest, at least rent it and check it out.

If this game had multiplayer or co-op, I'd make it a must-buy.