DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Ill health effects from Rumble/Vibrating controller? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/474200-ill-health-effects-rumble-vibrating-controller.html)

DRG 08-11-06 09:16 AM

Ill health effects from Rumble/Vibrating controller?

The past two days I'm having major lapses of jitters. I honestly can't hold my hand still anymore, it's shaking like I'm having minor seizures. I feel sick inside my body, and I geneally feel like my body is spazzing out on me. I bought a 360 on Sunday and have been playing it constantly so I'm thinking there is a connection. I've had rumble on games before, but it seems like 360 uses it a lot more often than the other games I've played.

I've experienced this feeling before, when I bought one of those vibrating office chairs at Staples and kept it on vibrate for long periods of time. So I'm thinking prolonged exposure to vibration is causing this. Any idea of what this is though? Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I'm assuming this is in parallel to some other pre-existing condition I have because obviouslymost people have played this for longer stretches than I without this problem.

And is there a way to turn off the rumble feature on the 360 controller?

Save Ferris 08-11-06 09:26 AM

You can turn off the rumble but I think it is game-specific. Check the game control options. Alternately you can go into the dashboard setup and see if its in there.

Personally Im a bit concerned with how most people game using the wireless controllers. Everyone holds these powerful signals in their lap next to the family jewels. That HAS to have long term effects.

devilshalo 08-11-06 11:18 AM

You're starting to tap into the speed force. Soon you'll be the new Flash!

UncleGramps 08-11-06 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by DRG
I bought a 360 on Sunday and have been playing it constantly

This might be the problem moreso than the rumble. ;) How many hours a day have you been playing?

DRG 08-11-06 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaxF
This might be the problem moreso than the rumble. ;) How many hours a day have you been playing?

The thing is I've played PS2 and Gamecube for waaaay longer and never had this problem. I never thought about the wireless thing, maybe there's some connection there. But like I said the other time I had this feeling was when I had that vibrating massage chair on for long periods of time, so that's why I'm thinking it's related tot he vibrations. Oddly enough, I DIDN'T get it when I was actually playing the game, but as soon as I put it down I felt terrible. Headaches, nauseous, disoriented, shaky... and I woke up today STILL feeling that way!

Josh H 08-11-06 12:00 PM

That sounds like motion sickness to me.

Some people get that playing FPS games and other games with a lot of movement. Maybe something about the 360 graphics set it off for you?

UncleGramps 08-11-06 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
The thing is I've played PS2 and Gamecube for waaaay longer and never had this problem. I never thought about the wireless thing, maybe there's some connection there. But like I said the other time I had this feeling was when I had that vibrating massage chair on for long periods of time, so that's why I'm thinking it's related tot he vibrations. Oddly enough, I DIDN'T get it when I was actually playing the game, but as soon as I put it down I felt terrible. Headaches, nauseous, disoriented, shaky... and I woke up today STILL feeling that way!

:shrug: I'm no doctor, but I'd say a break from the games might be in order. At any rate, Save Ferris is correct - you can disable the rumble feature via the dashboard. Here's a link with the details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909341/

Hope you feel better soon!

Giantrobo 08-11-06 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
You can turn off the rumble but I think it is game-specific. Check the game control options. Alternately you can go into the dashboard setup and see if its in there.

Yeah, there's a setting in the dashboard.

Personally Im a bit concerned with how most people game using the wireless controllers. Everyone holds these powerful signals in their lap next to the family jewels. That HAS to have long term effects...
I've wondered about that....

mather 08-11-06 01:30 PM

I'd say like others, it's more of the constant playing and viewing on the screen than the rumble.

kgrogers1979 08-11-06 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Personally Im a bit concerned with how most people game using the wireless controllers. Everyone holds these powerful signals in their lap next to the family jewels. That HAS to have long term effects...

Would it be any worse than holding a cell phone next to your brain? I am not a technology-oriented person, so maybe cell phones are built differently. I don't know. :shrug:

Maybe your future kids would come out looking like this:http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7422/slothlf5.jpg :)

Obey The D 08-11-06 02:16 PM

Just make sure you don't keep it near your lap while you're playing:
LINK

Save Ferris 08-11-06 02:22 PM

Seriously! Maybe I should have a iron frying pan in my lap when I play!

UAIOE 08-11-06 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
The past two days I'm having major lapses of jitters. I honestly can't hold my hand still anymore, it's shaking like I'm having minor seizures.

Maybe it's time to cut back on those quad-shot moca-latte-frappacinos at Starbucks. -wink-

Moderation is the key.