Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Tompson vs. Adam Sessler (Adam Sessler 1, Jack Tompson 0)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-11-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This guy really is an idiot. I've read all about him, of course, but never actually "heard" his ramblings first hand.

Attack of the Show Roundtable

It's also on G4tv.com

on an unrelated note, G4tv.com has a PS3 vs. Wii commercial (near thompsons mug). Cute, not terribly funny but cute.
Old 08-11-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thompson's rantings and ravings happen every generation when old people get scared of new things that they don't understand.

It happened with movies in the early '30s, which brought about the Hayes code, then comics in the '50s - Rock&Roll was also to "blame" for delinquency.
Old 08-11-06, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Disco made me violent. Thank god they outlawed it!
Old 08-11-06, 02:50 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Actually, I agree with Gabe at Penny-Arcade. For all Jack's inane arguments, he came off looking rational while Sessler talked like a hyperactive nut.

I hate to do it but letís talk about Jack Thompson for just a moment. Heís been relatively quite since our last encounter but with Bully on the horizon heís popped up again. His recent appearance on G4 has everyone talking about him and that is exactly how Jack wants it. The man is a media whore and by putting him on television youíre just giving him what he wants. Not only that but G4 decided to put him on television with two people who are incapable of going toe to toe with him. Whatever you want to say about Jack, the guy is a lawyer and he knows how to handle himself in these sorts of debates. We all think Jack is nuts but Adam is the only person on that tape who comes off as being crazy. The guy canít even preach to the choir for Godís sake. Mark seems like a decent guy and he stays calm but I donít think he did any preparation for this. You canít go up against someone like Jack and just ďwing itĒ. Jack keeps is cool and essentially runs the show. G4 should have just given Jack his own half hour program. Maybe only schedule twelve re-runs of X-Play and then just slip in the Jack Thompson show.

So how do you fight Jack? Well first off all you donít fight him directly. Heís like the fucking Candy Man. Mention his name and you give him power. Arguing with him is a waste of time. Jack or someone like him will always be there beating their chest and begging for air time. Youíll never change his mind. What you can change is the validity of his arguments and we donít do that during a televised debate. We do it through our actions as a community. Last year we took some of the money that came in for Childís Play and we helped to fund a project called HOPE. What is HOPE? Well, here is their mission statement:

HOPE gives chronically ill children the opportunity to escape stresses inherent in their conditions by providing distraction through gaming and comfort via peer contact. Through our virtual world we are able to ameliorate depression, reduce perceived pain, and improve the quality of our patientsí lives.

Arguing on TV with someone like Jack Thompson seems kind of stupid now donít you think?

All we have to do, is not be who he says we are.
Old 08-11-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Flay
Actually, I agree with Gabe at Penny-Arcade. For all Jack's inane arguments, he came off looking rational while Sessler talked like a hyperactive nut.
Oh, I agree about Adam, it seemed he came prepared and tried to squeeze everything he thought up, into the brief 10 minute segment. HOWEVER, Adam had better points, Jack avoided direct questions citing his previous cases and other nonsense.

Plus he comes off pretty pathetic protesting a game he hasn't even seen, only basing his arguments off press releases.

Old 08-11-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on how you look at it.

Just watching it, yes, Adam was a bit over the top while Tompson was a lot more calm and collected.

But if you just read a transcript of the conversation, Sessler kills him.
Old 08-11-06, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The funny thing is young kids shouldn't be playing a game like Bully or GTA. What really bugs me about the whole argument is that kids aren't suppossed to play these games and if all retailers followed the ratings system and people stopped viewing games as something strictly for seven year olds, this whole problem would go away.
Old 08-12-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Which is exactly what that newsletter guy brought up. He stated kids shouldn't be playing games like Bully, and it's the parents responsibility to be monitoring that.
Old 08-12-06, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
Depends on how you look at it.

Just watching it, yes, Adam was a bit over the top while Tompson was a lot more calm and collected.

But if you just read a transcript of the conversation, Sessler kills him.
That's great, but this wasn't a debate on the editorial page of a newspaper. You can't ignore the impact of visuals in a visual medium, and in that respect Adam looked like an raving idiot. You've got to actively work hard to make Jack Thompson look like the lucid, calm, collected one in a debate, and Adam somehow pulled it off.
Old 08-12-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Need I remind you all of the infamous media studies of the Nixon/Kennedy debates?

Everyone who watched it on TV thought Kennedy killed Nixon, but the people who listened to it on the radio or read about it later thought Nixon won. Why?

Because Kennedy was calm, collected, and charasmatic on television, and while Nixon had many good points, he was completely uncomfortable on television, and it swung the election Kennedy's way.

The same is true here. Sessler has the arguement in the bag. It's the logical arguement, the same one people have been countering Thompson with for years, but he looked like a rambling nut in this video. Sessler needs to calm down and relax if he's going to debate someone like Thompson, because Thompson is a lawyer and he's used to making rational (or even irrational) debates seem calm in court.

Either way, I think Thompson is a nut, but I wish these shows would bring on someone like a pro-video game lawyer to debate Thompson instead of TechTV/G4/Whatever it is hosts.
Old 08-12-06, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
kids shouldn't be playing games like Bully, and it's the parents responsibility to be monitoring that.
The problem is that lots of kids are playing GTA3, very young grade school age kids. They are also watching violent R-rated movies. And I'm talking specifically about kids with educated middle class parents.

It boggles my mind. I'm very careful about what games and movies my kids watch, but friends of my kids have all played GTA and their ilk. Until M-rated games and R-rated movies are treated like alcohol and tobacco, there will be many many parents that won't care enough to enforce any limits.

I'm glad that many stores are starting to enforce sales of M-rated games. I actually do wish that the age for M-rated games was around 15 or 16 though, a more appropriate age for most of the M-rated games out there. Then I would put the AO rating on the most violent (and/or sexual) of the games and enforce the 18 age for those games.
Old 08-12-06, 10:21 AM

The reason kids get the M-rated games is because there spoiled. I have been to many gamestops and ebgames and they did there dutys in enforcing the m-rated rules. Though you go to best buy, circuit city, wal-mart, or target and they dont even ask. Another thing some parents dont even know about raitings on the games.
Old 08-12-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by LordofWar
The reason kids get the M-rated games is because there spoiled. I have been to many gamestops and ebgames and they did there dutys in enforcing the m-rated rules. Though you go to best buy, circuit city, wal-mart, or target and they dont even ask. Another thing some parents dont even know about raitings on the games.
No, the duty is for the parent(s) to know exactly what games their kid is playing.
Old 08-12-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mom: What's this "M" stand for?

Kid: Oh, um... monkeys!
Old 08-12-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Every time we talk about Jack Thompson, we keep his soul from dying. So let's stop.
Old 08-12-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man. G4's streaming sucks.
Old 08-12-06, 04:45 PM

After watching that, I have to say Adam didn't come off looking great.
Old 08-12-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is there a 18 or over law for m rated games like their is for movies? Is it enforced?

Would that be a bad thing if there was? I cant really stand playing games online/ live anymore because of how bad its gotten, if they did age requirements and enforced it wouldn't that help?

And as much as I think jack is crazy, I think adam comes of as a bigger nut.
Old 08-12-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Man. G4 sucks.
fixed
Old 08-12-06, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
So is there a 18 or over law for m rated games like their is for movies? Is it enforced?

Would that be a bad thing if there was? I cant really stand playing games online/ live anymore because of how bad its gotten, if they did age requirements and enforced it wouldn't that help?
No, it wouldn't help, because a lot of parents don't care. In college my senior year I worked in Target's electronics department. Parents would buy their young kids M-rated games all the time. If I knew it was for a young kid, I would usually say, "You know this game is rated mature, right?" About seven times out of ten they didn't care... about 30% of the time they would tell their kids they couldn't get it. The deciding factor was usually nudity or profanity--no amount of violence was too great.
Old 08-12-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
If I knew it was for a young kid, I would usually say, "You know this game is rated mature, right?" About seven times out of ten they didn't care... about 30% of the time they would tell their kids they couldn't get it. The deciding factor was usually nudity or profanity--no amount of violence was too great.
Yeah, there should be some flexibility there with "educated" parents deciding what is ok for their kids to play, but I seriously doubt this happens very often. But that applies more to teenagers and not young kids as you stated. I see that too and it grates on my nerves. I'm actually surprised 30% of the parents said no.

I've always hated politics and all, but this whole "violent games are corrupting the children" bullish so many are exploiting is not helping much. It's not that I even totally disagree with their points, it's how they're going about addressing it that really pisses me off. Election years suck.
Old 08-12-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woman: Gavin, don't you already have this game?
Gavin: No, Mom, you idiot! I have Bloodstorm, and Bone Squad, and
Bloodstorm II, stupid.
Woman: Oh, I'm sorry, honey. We'll take a Bonestorm.
Gavin: Get two. I'm not sharing with Kaitlin!
[employee does so]
Bart: [dreamy] That must be the happiest kid in the world.
Old 08-12-06, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

Just another reason to hate Penny Arcade.
Old 08-12-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Just another reason to hate Penny Arcade.
You would think an ongoing unfunny comic strip would have cemented that hate long before Jack Thompson came on the scene.
Old 08-12-06, 11:34 PM
Banned by request

Of all the things we sell in the store, the only thing I refuse to actively sell to people is the Penny Arcade graphic novel we're forced to carry. In fact, I've tucked it away behind a bunch of PC games behind our counter so hopefully no one will see it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.