Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Tompson vs. Adam Sessler (Adam Sessler 1, Jack Tompson 0)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Jack Tompson vs. Adam Sessler (Adam Sessler 1, Jack Tompson 0)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam Sessler was an idiot that guy kept stuttering like my nuts if I was having a threesome.

I think his best bet is to read from a teleprompter because that guy is as dumb as shit.

Last edited by jiggawhat; 08-13-06 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-13-06, 12:51 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adam just bugs me. Seeming him ramble and studder like a high school kid on a debate squad really does nothing but embolden people like Jack T.

So what if Bully features people's heads getting dunked into toilets and whatnot, that stuff has been going on in real life, movies and TV for decades. Games are as bad for children as Bugs Bunny is; that is to say, not at all really. Parents just need to be parents and ensure that their kids aren't playing games (or watching something) they shouldn't be. You wouldn't exactly allow your five year old kid to watch Deadwood just because they like cowboys.

That's the bottom line and some crackpot ambulence chaser like Jack shouldn't be getting the kind of attention that comes his way. Shame on G4 for flaming Jack's ego by making him go toe to toe with an idiot like Adam.
Old 08-13-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't understand how Thompson makes a living.

His lawsuits against videogame makers and movie studios are clearly frivolous to the point where a defendant should be able to recover damages if there is a state-law equivalent to FRCP 11.

Also, he really should be disbarred for repeatedly filing suits he knows have no legal merit and for that conflict of interest debacle where he filed a motion as amicus for a victim of a crime to have evidence of the defendant's video game use introduced, and then tried to represent the defendant.

I guess he thinks it's permissible to be unethical in the face of immorality, but he makes people think this is the way lawyers practice and it's not the case.
Old 08-16-06, 10:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
The funny thing is young kids shouldn't be playing a game like Bully or GTA. What really bugs me about the whole argument is that kids aren't suppossed to play these games and if all retailers followed the ratings system and people stopped viewing games as something strictly for seven year olds, this whole problem would go away.
So true. The other problem is you have parents that wouldn't let their kid watch a PG-13 movie but will happily plop them down in front of a MA rated game. I think a lot of parents are just ignorant of video games until something like Hot Coffee comes around and they are suddenly outraged.

This reminds me of a conversation I overheard not too long ago in the game section of Target. A mother was talking with a Target employee by the Gameboy section. She was asking about waht the popular games were and was asking about the ones on sale. One of the games on sale happened to be the Grand Theft Auto for the Advance.

Paraphrased...
Mother: What about this Grand Theft Auto game?
Target: How old did you say your kid was?
Mother: One's eight, the other is six.
Target: Oh, you don't want that game then.
Mother: Why not?
Target: It's not appropriate for them. You go around stealing cars, killing people, running from the cops, etc.
Mother: (Completely shocked look on her face) Why do they even make a game like that???? Who want buy that for their kids?

Some parents (especially women) who are not into games simply CANNOT grasp the concept that there are adult gamers. They refuse to let go of the preconception that video games are a "kiddie" pasttime and thus can't wrap their heads around the idea of a game designed for grown ups. And if you are an adult gamer, you're just some childish oaf who refuses to grow up.
Old 08-16-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Paraphrased...
Target: It's not appropriate for them. You go around stealing cars, killing people, running from the cops, etc.
Mother: (Completely shocked look on her face) Why do they even make a game like that???? Who want buy that for their kids?
This level of complete ignorance on the mother's part is inexcusable. How can you read a title like "Grand Theft Auto" and not immediately associate that with a felony? If she saw a game called "First Degree Murder" would she consider that as well? Ridiculous...
Old 08-16-06, 10:39 AM

the ratings need to be numbers, as that would make it more obvious to parents what they are actually buying. T=13+, M=17+, etc.
Old 08-16-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Here's something I never could understand about Jack Thompson. Video games already have ratings, so that should be the end of it. Yet, he's always in the news ranting and raving. So will he only be satisfied once he sees (first) the demise of Rockstar and (second) the demise of all video games?

If that's what he's trying to accomplish, my response can only be "Well, good luck with that!"
Old 08-16-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jack claims that the video game rating industry is behind the video game ratings.
Does this guy do public speaking?
Old 08-16-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
So true. The other problem is you have parents that wouldn't let their kid watch a PG-13 movie but will happily plop them down in front of a MA rated game. I think a lot of parents are just ignorant of video games until something like Hot Coffee comes around and they are suddenly outraged.

This reminds me of a conversation I overheard not too long ago in the game section of Target. A mother was talking with a Target employee by the Gameboy section. She was asking about waht the popular games were and was asking about the ones on sale. One of the games on sale happened to be the Grand Theft Auto for the Advance.

Paraphrased...
Target: How old did you say your kid was?
Mother: One's eight, the other is six.
Target: Oh, you don't want that game then.
Mother: Why not?

Some parents (especially women) who are not into games simply CANNOT grasp the concept that there are adult gamers. They refuse to let go of the preconception that video games are a "kiddie" pasttime and thus can't wrap their heads around the idea of a game designed for grown ups. And if you are an adult gamer, you're just some childish oaf who refuses to grow up.

When GTA: Vice City came out, I was having a conversation with an Electronics Botique employee (I know, I know...), and he related to me a fairly identical conversation he had had, with one big difference. The first part of the conversation was the same, except at the end, the mom more or less told the guy to mind his own business and bought the game, with 8-year-old in tow.