Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My son & video games....prodigy??

Old 08-03-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
My son & video games....prodigy??

When I got an XBOX (at release date), my son was 2 years old. He used to play PGR, but he would just hold down the accelerate button, wrecking into anything in his path. After about a month or so of this, he started steering, and after about another month, he was driving pretty well. Next was Halo. Within 3 months, he beat the game on the easiest difficulty. His birthday cake for his 3rd birthday was decorated with a warthog & Master Chief on it...and all of his friends had no idea who he was, LOL. As different games came out, he would play them, and play them well. Halo 2 hit the streets when he was 4 years old. Within months, he beat the game on it's easiest difficulty, and in January of this year, he beat the game on the level just below Legendary. I never even played the H2 campaign because I was strictly online. He played online several times, and always wanted to use the headset, but after hearing too much vulgarity (serious vulgarity) and threats, I decided to keep him from the online play. In April, we got him a 360 for his 6th birthday, and through a weak game selection, we decided to get him Oblivion. At first, I don't think he really understood the game, so he watched as I played it, and explained some of the basics to him. In the meantime, he finished the Tomb Raider game. When he started getting back into Oblivion, he took to it very well, and now has a level 38 character that he has completely played on his own. He also has a Gamecube, but he seems bored with the games, as I think they're too 'simple' for him, considering what he's used to playing. He does play his DS semi-regularly, but his heart is in the 360. He wants to pick up Dead Rising next, so we'll see how that goes. I kind of think it's a bad idea sometimes, letting him play 'adult-oriented' games, but he seems so 'advanced' and mature for his age, I just let him roll with it.

That's my story, and thanks for reading!!

S2
Old 08-03-06, 06:43 PM

I wouldnt say a prodigy but I would say a very smart kid. Get all the games when he is youg and doesnt have to work for them in the future lol. Trust me he will only be more upsesed/ Just hope he dont turn like some of the phsycos I have seen who play to much video games.
Old 08-03-06, 06:51 PM

I also wouldn't go as far as to call him a prodigy, but that's still great. I'd be proud and happy as hell if my future children love video games that much.
Old 08-03-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's good to get them hooked on those violent video games while they are young.
Old 08-03-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by LordofWar
...Just hope he dont turn like some of the phsycos I have seen who play to much video games.
LOL, yeah, we have that discussion all the time. He is very active also, he played baseball (not T-Ball) this summer (on a team), and he is also a pretty good golfer. He usually plays video games in the morning, and for an hour or so after dinner. He's pretty amazing, he's had his own TV & DVD player in his room since he was 3, and he's been using the remotes for both since then. He hides the remotes in a winter tossle-cap so his brother can't try to control the TV or DVD selection, LOL. He was writing his alphabet at 2, and reading 3 & 4-letter words at 3. This past year in Kindergarten, he won his class awards in Reading and Math. People say video games ruin the minds of children, but I think it helps them with hand-eye, problem solving, and reflexes.
Old 08-03-06, 06:56 PM

yea I would say getting him dead rising isnt a good thing. That would be a bit to much.
Old 08-03-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

blah! I'll only be impressed if he can beat Adventure for the Atari 2600 on level 3 with the difficulty level switched on!
Old 08-03-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by turborobb
blah! I'll only be impressed if he can beat Adventure for the Atari 2600 on level 3 with the difficulty level switched on!
Those gawd damn dragon thingees barely let you enter the room before they appear.

Some kids just have really good hand eye coordination, tho they couldn't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. And his mind can process things a bit faster than other kids his age.
Old 08-03-06, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

Beware, he's headed down the danger road of never having a girlfriend.
Old 08-03-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dad obviously gets pwned when it comes to paragraphs

Last edited by Darkfriend; 08-03-06 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-03-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno, I'm no prude when it comes to kids and violence, but I think that is too young for adult games. They don't quite comprehend the difference between fantasy and reality when they are like sub 5 years old. I don't think I'll be letting my daughter play a game like Halo until she's at least 7-8, at the earliest.

My wife knows someone whose kid was playing Grand Theft Auto at 5. When she was driving he kept asking her why she didn't just smash the other cars out of the way like in Grand Theft Auto.
Old 08-03-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
He's pretty amazing, he's had his own TV & DVD player in his room since he was 3
Far be it from me to criticize, as he seems to be a pretty bright kid, but I wouldn't have a TV in a young kid's room. I also wouldn't let a young kid play violent video games. But maybe he's smart enough to understand the difference between fantasy and reality, and social enough that he doesn't spend excessive time in his room watching TV unmonitored...
Old 08-03-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's probaby ok as long as you are actively participating with him, and discussing what is going on. Still, I'd agree something like dead rising seems a bit much.
Old 08-04-06, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
When she was driving he kept asking her why she didn't just smash the other cars out of the way like in Grand Theft Auto.
I ask myself this everyday and I don't even play GTA.

------------

This thread almost sounds comical to me. I'm not even sure if I believe it's real? I mean who's going to come to a public site and sprout off about their kid playing dead man rising (or whoever's rising? i'm too lazy to look again) with a straight face? I mean anyone in their right mind would know the response this would get. Not to mention the thread seems to have been written by a joker or jr. high school student. Fanciful metions to the TV-DVD combo, the warthog birthday cake, along with the powers of avid golf? With a nod to alphabet? Things just seem off to me.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 08-04-06 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm actually surprised more people aren't attacking. In then end people will do what they will anyway. I know my 11 year old would kill just to play some of those games much less have a tv in his room.
Old 08-04-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit...I can't get my 2 year old to take his hands off his pecker...so finishing Halo at under 3 years of age is pretty impressive.

Stupid big dick kid of mine!
Old 08-04-06, 02:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
...so finishing Halo at under 3 years of age is pretty impressive.
I think it is more impressive that he is playing Oblivion at 6 years old. The Elder Scrolls games are probably the most complex RPG games in the world. I really can't imagine a young kid playing a RPG like Oblivion. With their short attention spans, I would figure most kids think a game like that is boring.

What's next for him? Conquering the world in Civilization IV? When I was 6 years old, I had trouble conquering World 8 in Super Mario Bros.

Originally Posted by AllHallowsEve
I mean who's going to come to a public site and sprout off about their kid playing dead man rising (or whoever's rising? i'm too lazy to look again) with a straight face?

You haven't heard of Dead Rising? It is only one of the 360's biggest apps coming out this fall/winter.

Last edited by kgrogers1979; 08-04-06 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Shit...I can't get my 2 year old to take his hands off his pecker...so finishing Halo at under 3 years of age is pretty impressive.

Stupid big dick kid of mine!
He must get that from the wife's side of the family?

Old 08-04-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jon-w9
He must get that from the wife's side of the family?

Old 08-04-06, 05:01 PM

Get him Saint's Row. Have you played that demo? That will teach him a thing or two. You said something about his brother. Whats up with that kid, whats he the redheaded step child who daddy doesnt pay any attention too.
Old 08-04-06, 05:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

wheres that video of the 5year old playing DDR?
Old 08-04-06, 08:58 PM

Seriously though, he beat Halo at the age of 2?
Old 08-04-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like how all of us come on here and critique the parenting...

Not that I believe the story at all...

= J
Old 08-04-06, 11:27 PM
Banned

List of people who care about how well your kid plays videogames:
Old 08-04-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Darkfriend
Dad obviously gets pwned when it comes to paragraphs

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.