Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why no Mouse and KB on the 360???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-27-06, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may have been discussed before, but I could not find it so...

Why in the heck don't MS release a Mouse and Keyboard for the 360 that could be used in games????

First Person Shooters and RTS games just BEG for this type of control.

Man, in BF:Modern Combat, using the controller makes it feel like I am trying to aim holding a 15 foot javalin instead of a sniper rifle!

I have also tried the LOTR RTS demo and while they have done quite well with the controller, I would MUCH rather have that Keyboard and mouse.

What the heck is up????
Old 07-27-06, 12:57 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keyboards work fine on the 360--plug one in and you can type messages to people and stuff. one of the final fanatasy games will require a keyboard I think.

I heard mentioned on the xbox forums that they dont want to use a KB/Mouse for FPS games because it would be too much of an advantage against people who used the controller--It would force everyone to use a KB/mouse.
Old 07-27-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I think it's also because of MS's insistence on the Xbox being a game console, not a PC (despite what some may say).
Old 07-27-06, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
they dont want to use a KB/Mouse for FPS games because it would be too much of an advantage against people who used the controller--It would force everyone to use a KB/mouse.
Well, what is wrong with forcing everyone to get a KB and Mouse? I am SURE they could sell a KB AND Mouse for less than the price of an extra controller....

If that is the only reason, then I see way more positive-reasons to sell one... Namely being able to sell MANY MANY more FPS, RTS, and MMO games on the 360.

People don't seem to ming playing FPS games with the controller, but I don't ever see the RTS and MMO games becoming popular on anything but the PC...
Old 07-27-06, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I think it's also because of MS's insistence on the Xbox being a game console, not a PC (despite what some may say).
There must be more to it than this... Who really cares if some people see it as a PC? Really?
Old 07-27-06, 01:11 PM

a little something called freedom of choice
Old 07-27-06, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by gr8vette
I am SURE they could sell a KB AND Mouse for less than the price of an extra controller....
Heck, they could probably GIVE AWAY a KB and Mouse with a game... Thats what Nintendo did with Donky Konga... They gave you one of those bongo-controllers with the game!
Old 07-27-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

why not just get rid of consoles all together and use PC/Mac, I'm not a console fan and will stick to PC gaming
Old 07-27-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I HATE using a mouse and keyboard for gaming. I like my controller. I can see it being useful for some games, but not all. I wouldn't see it as a mass-market thing.
Old 07-27-06, 01:27 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The MS attitude about not wanting the Xbox to be seen as a computer was more in line with the first Xbox. They wanted to come into the console market with an authentic 'console'. I dont think they care so much with the 360--the thing uses a USB interface for petes sake. Its very much like a computer in form and function.

The thing with a mouse/keyboard is the way you use them. You need to set them down on a flat surface--a desk--and not everyone has one in front of thier TV. Also its not as convenient to keep in the livingroom, with a flat surface a cords length away from the Xbox. People could use a wireless setup but it just keeps getting more complicated/expensive. I would say that typical console users would not like to be forced into using a KB/mouse. I dont think I would. And believe me, if 20% of the FPS users switched to a KB/Mouse they would have HUGE advantages over us who used just a controller. It wouldnt be fair and the games wouldnt be fun anymore.
Old 07-27-06, 02:11 PM

^Good points.

Also, I believe that since it hasn't happened yet, it won't ever happen on the 360. Games have to be programmed for it, most likely with an in-game option of "Mouse & Keyboard" or "Controller." Since I've heard no news of it yet, if it were to come out it would be leaving a good handful of games behind it. Over 100. Patching each one would show it as poor forward-thinking on M$'s part. Not patching them would show it as poor fan maintenance.

I think it's safe to say it's not happening. Maybe with the PS3, though.
Old 07-27-06, 02:18 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why can't someone develop a controller than offers the benefits of a keyboard/mouse combo without the clunky nature of using a typing device as a game control?
Old 07-27-06, 02:20 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by gr8vette
Well, what is wrong with forcing everyone to get a KB and Mouse? I am SURE they could sell a KB AND Mouse for less than the price of an extra controller....
Because console gamers and PC gamers are differnet beasts. I've gamed for 20 years or so and never got into pc games as I hated trying to play with the keyboard and mouse.

Thus making it where people with using controllers will be unable to compete with those using keyboard/mouse combos will just drive off the console only gamers, who probably greatly outnumber pc gamers given the explosion in console gaming over the past decade.

Not to mention I'm not dorky enough to have a key board and mouse in my living room.
Old 07-27-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I could care less about using m/k with gaming, but I would love to see a bluetooth option with the ability to surf the web. I'd even put up with IE for that function.
Old 07-27-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

keyboards work fine on the 360--plug one in and you can type messages to people and stuff. one of the final fanatasy games will require a keyboard I think.

I heard mentioned on the xbox forums that they dont want to use a KB/Mouse for FPS games because it would be too much of an advantage against people who used the controller--It would force everyone to use a KB/mouse.
Keyboards work on 360?? Have you tried mouse?

I would have never use the keyboard/mouse to play online against others, but for single player game.
Old 07-27-06, 02:33 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

im sure no mouse works on the 360.
But just plug a USB keyboard in and you can type out messages to people on your gamertag list. The Final Fantasy game uses the keyboard I believe.
Old 07-27-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 903 Likes on 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'd even put up with IE for that function.
You sir are a brave man.
Old 07-27-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Not to mention I'm not dorky enough to have a key board and mouse in my living room.

But you're dorky enough to wear a headset?

I would love the addition of a keyboard and mouse (wireless of course).
Old 07-27-06, 02:46 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

to tell you guys the truth, my PC is in my living room and uses my 60" TV as a monitor. I have a bluetooth KB/mouse (gyration mouse/no flat surface needed) so my home theater serves as my PC/Game/video center. But I still dont like the idea of using a KB/mouse for FPS games. It just changes the way people play. I have a hard enough time eating cookies and drinking beer while playing one handed with a controller--Imagine how hard it would be with a mouse!
Old 07-27-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I could care less about using m/k with gaming, but I would love to see a bluetooth option with the ability to surf the web. I'd even put up with IE for that function.

You can get a program to surf if you have a MCE machine. But I wish they would add this functionality to the 360.
Old 07-27-06, 03:13 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by tbird2340
But you're dorky enough to wear a headset?
Nope, don't own a headset, and would never wear one. Don't play online at the moment other than my DS.

I was just expressing the reasons why there is not a keyboard option, I don't care personally as I don't own a 360 and never play online FPS's period.
Old 07-27-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to tell you guys the truth, my PC is in my living room and uses my 60" TV as a monitor. I have a bluetooth KB/mouse (gyration mouse/no flat surface needed) so my home theater serves as my PC/Game/video center. But I still dont like the idea of using a KB/mouse for FPS games. It just changes the way people play. I have a hard enough time eating cookies and drinking beer while playing one handed with a controller--Imagine how hard it would be with a mouse!
How do you like that gyration mouse?
Old 07-27-06, 03:20 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Its great. It might drift by itself sometimes but it snaps out of it eventually or when I turn the mouse on/off. I get nervous every time I drop it but it comes out ok every time. I did have it replaced by the company (no charge) once in 2 years.
Old 07-27-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not really... I have been playing online (PC) multiplayer FPS games for 5 years, I found KB/M is much easier to fight with that. I've played FPS on Nintendo 64 (Dark Zero), I had struggle with aiming with right stick on the controller. I had similar problem with Ghost Recon on 360 - I couldn't even past Helicopter with mounted machine gun!!

So, not everyone like KB/M or controller.
Old 07-27-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Why can't someone develop a controller than offers the benefits of a keyboard/mouse combo without the clunky nature of using a typing device as a game control?
Yeah, that would be nice. What would be good is something that had two parts: a remote with a D-pad and buttons, and an attachment with an analog stick and two more buttons. Oh, and each one would detect motion, so you could wave them like a wand to control the game. That would be great, if only someone would do that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.