Reload this Page >

Tales of Destiny Remake PS2, Tales of Phantasia PSP

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-19-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorite PS1 games, Tales of Destiny, is getting the remake treatment on the PS2.

Tales of Phantasia is coming to the PSP "fully voiced."

Plus another Tales side-game coming out for the PSP.

While I think Namco is really drilling this series into the ground with yearly editions, I'm such a big Destiny nut that I'll probably buy into the remake, I guess it's going to be 3D (sigh) so it might make it over here. I'm guessing the PSP Phantasia will be the PS1 version with the entire game (sans townspeople I'd imagine) voiced, seeing as this just came out on the GBA and Tales of Eternia PSP was never released here I'd say this has a lesser chance of coming over.
Old 06-20-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tales of Destiny will be 2D! *dies*

Old 06-20-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts
So what chance do they have of coming out here? I think Namco confirmed another Tales game for PS2, but they STILL haven't brought out Eternia for PSP (and this is after we got 2 Legend of Heroes games for that system).

I think I'll pass on updated Phantasia. I'm slogging through it now on the GBA (I realize it came out a long time ago in Japan) and I've reached the point where it's more work than fun.
Old 06-20-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would really like to see Tales of Destiny 1 & 2 come out in a two-pack, but both Sony and Namco are really cold on 2D graphics games. I wish Atlus or XSeed could localize the games but Namco's stance on it is "If we aren't doing it, it ain't happening," so they remain Japan only. They seem to be trying to give the series a name in the US again, so who knows what'll happen.

Yes, Tales of Phantasia is tedious as hell. It seems to be the most popular in the Tales fan circles, I don't get it. I played through the game in Japanese a couple of years ago and enjoyed it for what it was then but when I get the US version I couldn't take much of it. Anyway, probably similar to Tales of Symphonia PS2 version, I have to imagine Namco's publishing deal with Nintendo for Phantasia would keep the PSP version from coming out.
Old 06-21-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HOLY CRAP!! Check out this video! I'm in love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4R70JNN8k4
Old 06-21-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tales of Destiny!!! That looks awesome! I am really confused about the Tales of games with the ones that come to the US or had name changed, or game changed, can someone help out?

Only Tales of game I played was Tales of Symphonia, and it was one of my favorite RPG's that I've played in a long time, really awesome battle system.
Old 06-22-06, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only one game came out with a changed name, Tales of Eternia was released here as Tales of Destiny II. Ironically, back in Japan they eventually made a Tales of Destiny 2 and is still the only Tales game to have a direct sequel. Of the main series, only Destiny 2 and Rebirth have not come out over here (both of them are better than all the subsequent games that did come out here, in my opinion).
Old 06-22-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-22-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not bad upgrade! One can only hope for 2pack like Pixy suggested. I played through the real Destiny 2 and it had some of most brillant voice acting I ever seen. It would definitely need to keep the japanese track for me, way too much dialogue have to suffer through at hands of namco usa.
Old 06-26-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madara
Not bad upgrade! One can only hope for 2pack like Pixy suggested. I played through the real Destiny 2 and it had some of most brillant voice acting I ever seen. It would definitely need to keep the japanese track for me, way too much dialogue have to suffer through at hands of namco usa.
Well, I really cannot stand Japanese voice acting at all so it wouldn't bother me much. I enjoyed the English voices in Symphonia and Legendia even though I end up just skipping them anyway because I'd rather just read what's being said and get to the next battle.

I was trying to avoid RPGs right now but being excited about the new Destiny got me playing my copy of Destiny 2. I made it to the boss on the boat after we got Reala and then my damn friends made me go socialize. One thing was made VERY clear when I was playing.. and that was if the PSP version gets an English release I will be buying a PSP without a second though.. yes, for this game only. I have a feeling I'm missing out on a lot with the Enchant system and the various abilities that all the weapons and armor seem to have.

How long did it take for you to finish the game?
Old 06-26-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I beat the game in 3 weeks at about 3hr day average. I'm sure I missed alot stuff yet at same time many hours could have been saved if it was in a language I understood better. I believe this and Rebirth have some heavy fan translation faqs to help gamers now.
Old 06-26-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW. I am ALL over that Tales of Destiny PS2 release.

The PSP release... eh... I might buy a PSP if it was around $100.
Old 06-28-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, I'm having TOO much fun with Destiny 2. I'm glad there are charts for the Enchant and Refine system available now. It's kind of sad that I bought my PS2 for this game and am now just getting to play it (of course, that was mostly due to problems with my first mod chip and then getting a lot of great US games in the downtime). The refine system still kind of frightens me!

Anyway, here's an article on the new Tales of Destiny with a lot of large pictures:
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/art...6/news041.html
Old 07-24-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a new six minute trailer of sorts.

Skip past the first two minutes, it's just the original opening animation, then see about a minute of AMAZING battle footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyyCd...elated&search=
Old 07-24-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Here's a new six minute trailer of sorts.

Skip past the first two minutes, it's just the original opening animation, then see about a minute of AMAZING battle footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyyCd...elated&search=
It's pretty creepy how everyone stands perfectly still in towns.
Old 12-11-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HOLY CRAP I AM IN LOVE!!

This game is insane. It's all action. Everything is so fast, there are no load times and everything runs at 60 frames per second. Comparing my current encounters/time to Tales of the Abyss and I'm getting THREE TIMES the action. The air combos are so cool. There's NO MP or TP in this game! I'm actually feeling more antsy being away from this game and at work than I was for Zelda!
Old 12-11-06, 01:09 PM

I can not stress enough to anyone just how good this game is. In my mind it rivals many of the top Final fantasy games. It's got amazing action, the voice over battle cries are funny, the music is stellar and overall it's just solid. My favorite among the Tales series and I'll be picking it up despite having it already.
Old 12-11-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is Tales of Destiny considered the first in the Tales series? Has there been any news of a NA release?
Old 12-11-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tales of Phantasia is the first, Tales of the Destiny was the first released in the US. But they don't really connect to each other except Destiny and the Japan-only Destiny 2 (Phantasia and Symphonia have a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" moment, but that's the extent of it).

No word on a US release.. it's probably unlikely but you never know.
Old 12-11-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,885 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Any word on how Abyss did here? I think Legendia was a disappointment, but Abyss was supposed to be pretty good...
Old 12-11-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish we'd get this over here. I picked up ToD2 somewhere with the intention to ebay it. I popped it in to test it out and ended up playing like 6 hours of it, I couldn't give it up. I just weeded out a bunch of classic games and PS2 RPGs for ebay but ToD/ToD2 stayed on my shelf. I liked it too much and still intend to play it someday when I get the time.

I only played a few hours of ToD1 but it was interesting as well.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 12-11-06 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know.. but I've heard they sold on par for non Square-Enix RPGs on the PS2 so "disappointment" would be subjective. Abyss did release with a lower price point and had a much greatest emphasis on presentation, so I'd imagine it probably sold a little more based on those factors alone.
Old 12-18-06, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about halfway through the game (I just reclaimed Castle Heidelberg, for those familiar) and I can EASILY say that this is the best Tales game EVER. At least from a gameplay and fun standpoint, which is what's most important to me. The air combos you can start doing are just insane.. and unlike previous games in the series you can actually chain off of "mystic artes" moves to continue combos.