Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NCAA FOOTBALL 07 first preview:

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NCAA FOOTBALL 07 first preview:

NCAA Football 07 Updated Hands-On
We get ready for the kickoff of EA Sports' college football series on the Xbox 360 in our hands-on look.
By Brian Ekberg, GameSpot
Posted Jun 1, 2006 4:46 pm PT
With next-generation sports games, there seem to be two schools of thought. Some companies do their best to make sure that the Xbox 360 version of a particular game has the exact same feature set as the PlayStation 2 or Xbox version of the game, so you don't feel as though you're getting cheated out of features. Other companies strive to make sure that their Xbox 360 (and eventually their PlayStation 3) sports games differentiate themselves from the older games. EA Sports seems to fall solidly in the second school of thought, as evidenced by the upcoming release of NCAA Football 07 for the Xbox 360--a game that shares a number of features and modes with the Xbox version of the game but still maintains its own identity.

That separate identity is most evident in the game's presentation, which varies pretty dramatically from the Xbox and PS2 versions. When you first boot up the game, you're asked to choose your favorite team; once you've made your choice, the background screen in the menu changes to an attractive slide show of photographs that highlight your school. We chose Auburn and saw pictures of the campus, the Tigers marching band, the orange-, blue-, and white-clad cheerleaders, and even a shot of former Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell. It's a nice touch that really taps into the passion people feel for their favorite teams.

On the field, the presentation is different as well. Momentum is the heart and soul of this year's NCAA Football game, and it's presented in an even more explicit way than in the Xbox or PS2 versions of the game. The biggest change is the momentum meter on the screen--as you make big plays, such as touchdowns, interceptions, or fumble recoveries, your momentum meter will fill up (or decrease if you're consistently blowing it on the field). If you fill it completely, your team will get an even bigger boost, players will be faster and tougher to bring down, or your quarterback might make a few passes he might not otherwise complete. A number of cool camera angles in between plays really show off the work that's gone into the graphics engine--helmets brandish scuff marks and realistic reflections, and dynamic lighting effects change as the game (and the day) wears on, gradually changing from day, to dusk, to night. In all, the next-gen spit and polish in NCAA 07 has resulted in a game that looks like it belongs on the Xbox 360.

A handful of minigames are also new to the game, including bowling, tug of war, and option dash. While we didn't get a chance to see option dash in action, bowling and tug of war look like they could be fun diversions from the main action in the game. In bowling, you'll have two chances per frame to make it into the end zone from the 10-yard line. How close you get will determine your score. And yes, if you manage to "bowl" three strikes in a row, you'll earn a turkey--or rather, a Virginia Tech Hokie. Tug of war, on the other hand, is a battle for control of the field; you start out at the 50-yard line and switch possession between plays, gaining or losing field position as you go. The goal is to score on your opponent and thus "take" the entire field from your foe.

While fans of NCAA 07's career mode (known in the Xbox and PS2 game as campus legend mode) may be disappointed to hear that the mode didn't make it into the Xbox 360 version, the hardcore contingent should know that dynasty mode is well intact, complete with in-season recruiting, a new 3D map of the US for use during recruiting, and all the rest of the coaching goodies you've come to expect in the current-gen versions of the game. It's here that the majority of the big NCAA fans spend their time, so it's a good thing the Tiburon development team included it.

From a control standpoint, the game will play very similarly to its Xbox cousin, and many of the same control tweaks that have been made in the current-gen version of the game can be found in the Xbox 360 game. The turbo button, for example, has moved to the right trigger button, and new controls, such as the jump-the-snap option (which helps you get a jump on the ball when playing as a defensive lineman), are in place. Watch out with that jump-the-snap option, however; it's very easy to get the timing wrong and cost your team some penalty yards. A fake snap option, which pulls the camera back temporarily to simulate the camera movement during the snap, is in there as well; in fact, the computer will use it against you periodically, hoping to get you to bite and get caught offsides (and yeah, they got us a few times).

If you've ever played a game of NCAA and wanted to capture a great play for posterity (or, more likely, for bragging rights over your buddies), you'll be able to with a handy picture feature in NCAA 07, which will let you take a snapshot during a replay. You can move the camera all over the field when taking pics and save them to your hard drive or memory unit. When you access a photo later, you can even check out the game stats on the back of the picture for further proof of your on-the-field heroics. Unfortunately, you won't be able to share the pictures over Xbox Live, but producers said that's something they hope to work in for later entries in the series. Speaking of Xbox Live, producers told us they are working on a number of downloadable extras for NCAA 07, including team-specific backgrounds and helmets for your gamertag picture, and possibly even alternate uniforms (such as last year's supremely ugly Florida Gators orange and blue slash alternate kit). They also said there will be plenty of Xbox Live achievements to earn; we even saw one unlocked after completing a big downfield pass.

With amazingly authentic-looking stadiums and players, improved crowds and mascots that act more like the real thing, and gameplay modes you won't find in any other version of NCAA 07, the Xbox 360 version of the game is shaping up to be an attractive debut on the console. We'll have more on this game in the near future as we close in on its July 18 release.

-GameSpot
Old 06-06-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sweet, one more month and a few days....I cannot wait. I could really care less about the CAREER mode, since they gave us the Dynasty mode. I'll get myself a transfer kit soon, so I can download some rosters eventually....hopefully it fairs better than Madden 06 360.
Old 06-06-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Have people already committed to making rosters for the 360 version? If so, I'll pick up a transfer kit today...
Old 06-06-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Have people already committed to making rosters for the 360 version? If so, I'll pick up a transfer kit today...
EBAY has them. I have an extra memory card to sell/trade if anyone is interested.
Old 06-06-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

where can i get a transfer kit
Old 06-06-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so the momentum and choosing your favorite team to see their stuff on your menu backgrounds isn't new. didnt last years introduce the momentum meter (or at least the home field advantage meter) do they mean that you can actually tell it works in game? look and presentation sounds cool, but nothing groundbreaking that is making me salivate!?!?!?
Old 06-06-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
where can i get a transfer kit
bestbuy.com has them for $15 - I checked my local store availability and went and bought mine about a month or so ago.

Re: NCAA 2007
I still don't see why the authentic team-specific playbooks could make into the XBox and PS2 version and not the 360 version, but useless crap like mini-games and pictures could.

I still fear this has "360 version of Madden 06" written all over it.
Old 06-06-06, 11:35 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

This game is worthless if you can't make your own team. From what I've read, unfortunately that seems to be the case.
Old 06-07-06, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can't make your own team? Argh. That's my favorite feature!

I just read that NCAA is the 4th best selling game every year. EA needs to get off their huge pile of money and put some f'ing programmers on this game. I am sick of them ripping us off!

I'll still get it, though. LOL.
Old 06-07-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i may have read the article to quickly , but what is the difference between the 360 version and the 'old' consoles?
Old 06-07-06, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i may have read the article to quickly , but what is the difference between the 360 version and the 'old' consoles?
- No Career Mode (Campus Legend last year)
- Smaller Playbook (I think, not in article)
- Can capture replay screenshots and save to HD
- Better visuals supposedly
Old 06-07-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Daryl
bestbuy.com has them for $15 - I checked my local store availability and went and bought mine about a month or so ago.

Re: NCAA 2007
I still don't see why the authentic team-specific playbooks could make into the XBox and PS2 version and not the 360 version, but useless crap like mini-games and pictures could.

I still fear this has "360 version of Madden 06" written all over it.
Where did it say there wouldn't be team-specific playbooks? I'd think that would be a must.

I'm getting it for sure (c'mon, another USC player on the cover!), just not sure which version.

On a side note, why are they making an NFL coach game?
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=210907
Old 06-07-06, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe the old NCAA thread had it. Some/most/all teams have special trick plays and these plays will not make it to the 360 version.

Other gameplay details I noticed were the Hit and Truck Stick both made the conversion to 360, and the Vision Cone for passing is also in the game, although it is turned off by default. You can attempt to jump the snap by hitting the sprint button at just the right time. You can challenge plays. You will be able to do mass substitutions, save depth charts, and even save audibles for all 100 playbooks. The variety of teams you'll find in current gen is missing, however, as there are only 119 schools in the game (all 1A schools), and there are no all-time great teams. Also missing are the Stadium Pulse and home field advantage, not to mention the huge upgrade to the playbooks (including trick plays) and Campus Legend mode (create a character and become the most popular dude in school) that you'll find in NCAA current gen are disappointingly MIA on 360.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....highlight=ncaa

Last edited by jon-w9; 06-07-06 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't have a HDTV, I would probably get the regular Xbox version. Might want to see the reviews first, though.
Old 06-07-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Where did it say there wouldn't be team-specific playbooks? I'd think that would be a must.
The 360 version will have the usual team specific playbooks in the sense of say a team like FSU having a lot of 5WR sets while a team like Air Force has a lot of option plays, etc - but they are still kind of generic (the 5WR plays that FSU runs are no different than the ones Florida runs). The PS2/XBox versions will now have some team-specific plays where they put in actual plays that their real-life counterpart uses:

Tiburon hired two offensive gurus who watched at least three games of every team, then went in and personalized each and every playbook. There are 102 new formations in the game (86 on offense, 16 on defense), including the spread offense that includes option runs to the WR, the double slant and go, the post stop, the Nevada Pistol formation (QB stands 3 yards deep with a RB directly behind him)…there are so many new plays, it's almost overwhelming (to the point you'll get called for delay of game while cycling through all the new hotness). There is also greater variety in the formations you already know. Just because USC and Texas both have I formations, that doesn't mean they both run the same plays out of the I. Now USC's I looks more like a pro setup, while Texas uses the I to run more options.

There are approximately 17 formations per team, including 270 plays.
Old 06-07-06, 09:54 PM
Banned

I'm confused. What's career mode? Race for the Heisman?
Old 06-07-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Legolas
I'm confused. What's career mode? Race for the Heisman?
yes, basically it replaces Race for the Heisman. But now you have to do things like keep up with your schoolwork!
Old 06-07-06, 10:14 PM

I was going to get this on release day now I may have to wait for some reviews. I would prefer College Football, but if the 360 is going to be a shell of the other versions I may have to wait and see if Madden is a better alternative.

Does anyone know why they took features out of the 360 version?
Old 06-07-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, apparently EA is listening. According to IGN, the new playbooks are being added to the 360 version :

UPDATE

What can I say, believe everything you read on message boards. EA was in our office last week and during the demo, they specifically said that the Puntrooskie and formations like the Pistol did not make the 360 version. This is exactly what they told me when I went to Tiburon and saw the game. We bitched and bitched about how stupid this was, and now it looks like someone is listening. According to Jeff Luhr, the game's producer, they are now adding these plays and formations in the next-gen version (even though they still weren't in the version we saw last week, and when asked, we were told they were not going to be in the game. Confused? So are we). Looks like all of the complaints finally paid off as it forced EA to upgrade the game and add these formations and more in next-gen (as it should). Anything else you want to see in the game? Looks like EA is paying attention to this column and your complaints.

Sorry for the bad info (and the original smart ass response), but the team at EA told us the wrong thing, more than once, and only now is adding these plays into the game. Hope this helps clear things up.
Old 06-07-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 1998Nole
Does anyone know why they took features out of the 360 version?
With the 360 using DVD's (same as the PS2 and XBox), the assumption is the improved graphics take up a lot more space so other features don't make the cut. Now, in their defense, the graphics shown so far on the 360 look fantastic, especially the stadium shots (I picked out one I know you'll enjoy ):

Old 06-08-06, 03:00 AM
Banned

yes, basically it replaces Race for the Heisman. But now you have to do things like keep up with your schoolwork!
Never cared for that option anyway. As long as dynasty mode's intact and we can get edited rosters for the 360, I'm a happy camper. If we get the stripped-down Madden 360 with sluggish gameplay, I won't be.
Old 06-08-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmmm, apparently EA is listening. According to IGN, the new playbooks are being added to the 360 version :
Nice, now maybe if they add stadium pulse and home field advantage back, the game may be worth getting.

I am torn. I haven't purchased a NCAA game in the last couple of years, but this one has me excited. However I am now even more torn between buying the XBox version for $10 less and more features, or spending more money for more show and less content
Old 06-17-06, 12:38 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My custom covers!
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Old 06-24-06, 06:11 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Please tell me this is a typo! Only one player?
Old 06-24-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DAC
My custom covers!

Nice!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.