Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

I've been eyeing this game for awhile now and curious if it's worth picking up. I need a good sci-fi strategy game.

At Walmart its $30 with the expansion pack as well. Is it worth buying?
Old 05-21-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I picked it up for $20 when the Gold 2-pack came out, I'm not big on RTS games but I really enjoy the solo mode for DoW. Multiplayer is supposed to be good as well .
Old 05-21-06, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I picked it up for $20 when the Gold 2-pack came out, I'm not big on RTS games but I really enjoy the solo mode for DoW. Multiplayer is supposed to be good as well .

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-22-06, 09:38 AM

its a pretty decent game, I actually spent a little time this weekend playing it on a lark.

There is another expansion in the works with 2 new races, the Tau (high tech aliens with mecha like suits) and Necrons (evil robots, think Terminators in endoskeleton form, led by their egyptian like gods)

my only gripe with the game is that I think the Heroes are too nasty, early on in the game normal infantry dies in huge herds to them, especially since they usually just have normal un-upgraded weapons at this point.
Old 05-22-06, 09:04 PM

I LOVE this game. I played through Dawn of War, though Winter Assault was a little dull, because of all the defensive play. Still, for $30, you can't go wrong. I'm excited for the next expansion.

As far as Hospitaller's comment on infantry - you've really got to sink money into research as soon as the round starts. There's no way your infantry should be running around un-upgraded after 5-10 minutes of play. Even just equipping them with Heavy Bolters makes them useful units.
Old 05-23-06, 02:00 AM

Glad to see PC gamers

Once again glad I joined!
Old 05-23-06, 05:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just finished this set myself (well I think I have a mission or two left on Winter Assault, but I agree /w Calico it's a dull wrt the missions) and I strongly recommend it if you like RTSs.
Old 05-23-06, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Calico
I LOVE this game. I played through Dawn of War, though Winter Assault was a little dull, because of all the defensive play. Still, for $30, you can't go wrong. I'm excited for the next expansion.

As far as Hospitaller's comment on infantry - you've really got to sink money into research as soon as the round starts. There's no way your infantry should be running around un-upgraded after 5-10 minutes of play. Even just equipping them with Heavy Bolters makes them useful units.
the Marines (both vanilla and chaos) are fine in this respect. The other races (Guardians, Imp. Guardsmen, and Ork Sluggas/Shootas) are near hopeless against heroes most of the game. Even with appropriate weapons and squad leaders, a hero could easily handle two normal sized squads without suffering major damage.
Old 05-23-06, 12:54 PM

Sounds good.
Old 05-24-06, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by poetic_power
Sounds good.

One of the most unique aspects hasn't even been mentioned yet... you can reinforce in place. So during the middle of combat you can hit the "add squad member" (provided you have the resources ) and it'll start "building" a new fighter that'll drop into place where ever the squad is. It's very handy when used in combination w/ the orbital relay (let's you drop units on to any place on the board you can see) and the infiltration ability (aka invisibility) some units have. So you send a covert team in, drop the other units in and you don't have to worry about your supply lines (provided you can keep enough of the squad alive to out last the build time it takes on the replacements ).
Old 05-24-06, 05:05 PM

FYI, a few days ago I picked up Dawn of War GOTY edition, Winter Assault, and Empire Earth Gold at my local Target for $4.98 each on clearance, so check those endcaps if interested.