DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   God of War (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/464416-god-war.html)

DARTH GAMER 03-09-05 08:48 AM

GOD of WAR. Anyone else getting excited about this game?

I've been following this game for a little while now and I'm dying to play. The movies that I've seen look great and I'm interested to see what this mature content actually is, that they say is in the game. I read the article on Game Informer and the premise behind the game and how they decided to make it a very mature title is very exciting. If they can pull it off without making this into a game that falls into the BMX XXX category of adult games, it might be the first of its kind. One where the violence and sexual tone actually play into the plot of the story and the character building aspect of the story. If you read the article on GI this is what they say they were trying to achieve. I'm hoping for the best. So far GI is very optimistic and like what they've seen. I think this game comes out in the next couple of weeks.

Groucho 03-09-05 09:18 AM

Since the original post gave no clue as to what kind of game this was:

In God of War, the dark brutal world of Greek mythology comes to life before your eyes. As you take the role of Kratos, a story unfolds with various plot twists and multiple endings that take the player through explosive, aggressive gameplay fused with traps, stunts and story driven puzzles. Featuring an hour of cinematic sequences and a deep combat system built around unique double chain blade weapons, God of War will take the player through various environments that will have them fighting fierce enemies, swinging on ropes, scaling mountain cliffs, swimming through rivers and sliding down zip lines resulting in a one-of-a-kind action-packed Greek mythology adventure.
Sounds like a Zelda-esque game put in a Greek mythology setting.

DARTH GAMER 03-09-05 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=Groucho]Since the original post gave no clue as to what kind of game this was:

Sorry Groucho, But anyone who is interested in this title, Like I was ASKING, would know what type of game this is. Don't try to be an ass next time!! We can't all be perfect like you when posting.

By the way, it's an action adventure type of game set in Greek Mythology. Lots of bloody combat and exploring.

xVladx 03-09-05 10:09 AM

Yeah, if anything it looks more like a Devil May Cry kind of experience. Unfortunately, I never got one of the demos they mailed out to PSU members, but the game does look interesting. I'm definitely going to wait and see what the consensus is before picking it up, though. I'm interested in hearing if there's any extras or if it's worth replaying.

Groucho 03-09-05 10:13 AM

Sorry, I guess common courtesy is optional in this forum.

CaptainMarvel 03-09-05 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho

Dammit Groucho, we can't ALL be perfect like you when posting. Just me.

DARTH GAMER 03-09-05 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho

This has nothing to do with common courtesy but if you want to jump down peoples throats, you better go hassle Setzer for his Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door thread and Skiblet for his Brothers in Arms thread. Neither one explained what type of game they were talking about. BETTER GO GET EM GROUCHO. LYNCH MOB!!!!!! These offenders were all on the first page of threads. I'll keep a lookout for more now that we all know this is an unspoken rule around here.

actyper 03-09-05 11:15 AM

Whats the expected release date for this?

The Franchise 03-09-05 11:20 AM

I'm really excited...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=hydra+demo

CaptainMarvel 03-09-05 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by DARTH GAMER
This has nothing to do with common courtesy but if you want to jump down peoples throats, you better go hassle Setzer for his Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door thread and Skiblet for his Brothers in Arms thread. Neither one explained what type of game they were talking about. BETTER GO GET EM GROUCHO. LYNCH MOB!!!!!! These offenders were all on the first page of threads. I'll keep a lookout for more now that we all know this is an unspoken rule around here.

How's that paper-thin skin holding up for you?

If Groucho giving a synopsis of the game is "jumping down your throat," then might I suggest staying well away from any other game forum on the internet? They're all cesspools compared to here.

Groucho 03-09-05 11:26 AM

No, no...he's right. I suck at teh internet. My e-peen has shrunk. :(

DARTH GAMER 03-09-05 11:41 AM

Do the two of you have some sort of thing for each other. One speaks and the other defends. How sweet.

Anyway,

Can we please get back on track with this thread and stop all the bullshit. Seeing that this game is not a MMORPG Groucho, you probably are not interested anyway. Go post in a WOW thread or something. How about Evercrack, I hear thats a good game.

Breakfast with Girls 03-09-05 11:47 AM

:lol: Just stop.

Groucho 03-09-05 11:48 AM

I'm really not sure why this got out of hand. I saw a thread where a fellow gamer was excited about a game. I clicked the thread to learn more, in case it was a game I might be interested in as well. There was no actual information on the game, so I looked it up myself...and decided to share said information on the off-chance that others visiting this thread might find it useful.

I guess my original reply comes off a bit snarky, so for that I apologize.

DARTH GAMER 03-09-05 11:52 AM

I also apologize. I guess I have a little Groucho in me as well. :eyebrow:

Josh H 03-09-05 12:04 PM

I appreciated Groucho's post. I've heard hype on this game but haven't looked into it much as it just sounds like another Devil May Cry type of violent action game.

From his description it sounds like it may be a little more like Zelda than just a combo (dumbest idea ever) based action game like DMC.

Not A N00b 03-09-05 12:42 PM

I was excited for this game, until I played the demo.

DARTH GAMER 03-09-05 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Not A N00b

I have'nt played a demo yet. Can you explain what you didn't like.

sfsdfd 03-09-05 01:26 PM

Yes. Everyone, please stop. The DARTH GAMER/Groucho conversation is over.

Back on topic:

What an awful press release. Or, what an awful state for the gaming industry. About 95% of the games on the market could basically fit that description.

I think the marketing departments for videogames should be scrapped. These press releases could be generated with a simple Mad-Libs-like engine:

In <b>[TITLE]</b>, the dark brutal world of <b>[GENRE]</b> comes to life before your eyes. As you take the role of <b>[MAIN CHARACTER]</b> a story unfolds with various plot twists and multiple endings that take the player through explosive, aggressive gameplay fused with traps, stunts and story driven puzzles. Featuring an hour of cinematic sequences and a deep combat system built around <b>[GIMMICK #1]</b> will take the player through various environments that will have them <B>[GIMMICK #2]</B>, <B>[GIMMICK #3]</b>, and <B>[GIMMICK #4]</B> resulting in a one-of-a-kind action-packed <b>[GENRE]</b> adventure.
- David Stein

gongon78 03-09-05 01:32 PM

I'm excited about this being out. Too bad, I'm going to have to wait until a good deal comes out before picking this up. I played the demo a few times and it was fun. It's pretty close to Prince Of Persia with a dash of Devil May Cry.

The Franchise 03-09-05 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Not A N00b

WOW, you didn't like the demo? Do you have a pulse? Did you like DOA:XBV?

Sorry but I can't really see anyone who played the demo not liking at least some aspect of the game from the graphics, to animation, to control to something. Story might be cheesy and camera angles a little touchy but otherwise this game delivers what the "next-genration" promised IMO.

Setzer 03-09-05 02:18 PM

DAMNIT!! At least I had links and pictures in my thread!!! :p

Ok back to topic....I played the free demo I got in the mail and enjoyed it. Probably will pick it up once its released later this month. We'll see how much money I have left after the PSP. :lol:

Josh H 03-09-05 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Franchise
WOW, you didn't like the demo? Do you have a pulse? Did you like DOA:XBV?

Sorry but I can't really see anyone who played the demo not liking at least some aspect of the game from the graphics, to animation, to control to something. Story might be cheesy and camera angles a little touchy but otherwise this game delivers what the "next-genration" promised IMO.

No game is going to appeal to everyone. I'm skeptical as it sounds a little to much like DMC and other action beatem up games that I hate.

But I'm going to check it out due to the zelda-like comment. Maybe there's enough in the game beyond combat to hold my interest.

Maxflier 03-09-05 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by actyper
Whats the expected release date for this?

It comes out on the 22nd of this month.

DealMan 03-09-05 04:05 PM

I wouldn't go comparing it to Zelda. It's very much like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

I played the demo and it was fun, but very straightforward linear game-type. A puzzle every now and then and lots of button mashing goodness.

Josh H 03-09-05 04:17 PM

Guess I'll be taking a pass then as I don't care for "button mashing goodness." :D

gp98 03-11-05 06:36 AM

I played the demo yesterday and I have to admit that I'm not as excited about it as I had been. I think it will come down to the story and if you can increase the difficulty (which I assume gets much harder as you progress but I couldn't see how you could possibly die in the demo) but I'll probably wait for a price-drop.

Dragon Fly 03-11-05 07:47 AM

I thought for a demo the gameplay was pretty solid. I mean it's obviously stage one and there were still parts of the hydra that gave me a hard time (specially that last battle with the three heads). The action seems solid, the graphics are slick and the audio has some impact to it. Could turn out to be a great game.

actyper 03-11-05 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
It comes out on the 22nd of this month.

Thanks, will give it a rental first.

zero 03-11-05 01:28 PM

Well

I skipped this game altogether at E3, and my boss came back singing its praises, and now its all he talks about. Frankly Im sick of hearing HIM talk about it. He litterally will tell customers not to buy Devil May Cry 3 and to wait for this title.I have no problem with this, but not when IM TRYING TO SELL DEVIL MAY CRY TO A GUEST TALKING TO ME NOT HIM. I know he's excited but COME ON!!! Sad that I work with a poser, but I do however enjoy the game and think it will kick all sorts of emcompassing ass. Though I do have one very minimal gripe, no lock on? I guess its not needed when your weapons fly around your body but still it would be nice ya know?

-zero

Gromit 03-11-05 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by gp98
... I couldn't see how you could possibly die in the demo)....

I pulled off the impossible! Yeah, I died. I think this is going to be a great game, but not for me. I just don't do too well with this type of game, although I see what the appeal is. I end up mashing buttons wildly instead of dodging, using combos, etc.

DARTH GAMER 03-17-05 07:04 AM

Just got the new PLAY magazine yesterday and they seem to love this game. They gave it a 9.5 out of 10. Here is the first and last paragraph of their review.

"There is that rare game that goes beyond the fun, beyond the simple engagement, stepping into the realm of higher emotion. It sticks with you, makes you feel something few games have, takes you to a place that begins to move you. Maybe you've felt it, maybe you have'nt. It's not readily definable, and it's what makes video games uniquely special and it's what too few game developers seem to even perceive. There can and will be a growing power in the art of gamemaking, and when you experience that awesome game that applied the tap, your alive in it's world. God of War crackles with that power."

"There's just such breadth and scope to God of War, catapulting well past the typical action game. The foundation is certainly the combat, but the vigorous way the presentation and copious cutscenes slot in around the core exploration and gameplay make you feel a part of a more organic, dramatic place. The game contains so much energy and conviction, so much skill and spirit. There came a point where I was totally lost to it, in the way you are to a great movie- to any powerful art form."

They also said that God of War is an extremely violent, tremendously graphic game. Inspired by Greek Mythology.

I can't wait for this game to arrive. By then I will be finished with RE4 and all set to play.

The Franchise 03-21-05 02:28 PM

Reviews for this game have been ridiculous across the board with above 9's from all the major game sites. Looks like a must buy for sure! My favorite quote from the 1up review:

"My favorite thing about God of War is that it reminded me why I like to play games. Many developers spend the bulk of their energy coming up with ways to make their games different, to do something innovative. But that's the wrong focus. The bulk of your energy should be focused on making the game good. Who cares if you've provided me with a new move that no gaming character has ever executed before if it's wrapped up in crappy gameplay and a half-assed story? People do not play games because they break new ground. People play games because they are fun. And fun is God of War's greatest strength."

Here's to lack of innovation and good gritty fun! :up:

asianxcore 03-22-05 01:43 AM

might have to check out this game sometime.

IGN gave the game a 9.8 I believe, but mentioned that there are not many boss battles.

DVDHO 03-22-05 03:04 PM

Only 3 boss battles but from what I hear all three make up for the lack of,at least its not PoP where there was none.

joshd2012 03-22-05 06:59 PM

Anyone who thinks this game or DMC or NG are button mashers, I assume they quit before they got into the game. The fact is, these games work good as button mashers - until a point. At some point the skill level needs to be escalated and combos work into the game. For instance, in DMC (one of my favorite PS2 games) you can perform powerful combos by varying button timing. So pushing the buttons repeatily doesn't give you enough power, while varying them in a calculated way is the only way to be sucessful as the game gets more difficult.

I played this game, and I have to say that I am very excited about playing this game. There is plenty of possibility in this game that is just waiting to be openned. If you listen to the commentary, the director (I think that is his title) mentions how this is his weakest level because he ran out of ideas. If this is weak, I can't wait to see his best level.

Josh H 03-22-05 07:14 PM

Personally I want innovation and fun, but thats a rarity. A lot of games that are innovative end up half assed and not as good as they should be.

And a lot of polished games end up not being as fun as they could be for me as they have no innovation and are just the same game with a new story and a fresh coat of paint.

Rarely is there a happy medium IMO.

nickdawgy 03-22-05 08:20 PM

This game looks cool, but if it's anything like DMC, count me out.

theneobez 03-22-05 09:09 PM

I'll give this a rental, it seems in the vein of DMC in the sense that the action is just down-right fun.

The Franchise 03-22-05 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
This game looks cool, but if it's anything like DMC, count me out.

Then you may want to count yourself out since the game does have some similarities to DMC. However if you get a chance to play the demo I would give it a shot since that's what sold me on it. Hard to describe the exact appeal, but all the pieces come together and if I would sum it up in a word I would say the game is fluid. Fluid gameplay, fluid graphics, fluid animation, fluid controls, etc etc