DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   God of War (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/464416-god-war.html)

collven 03-26-05 09:49 PM

So have people just been too busy playing the game to add much to this thread or what? I rented it yesterday, and I love it. I can't afford to buy it right now, otherwise I definitely would. I just got to the Rings of Pandora section.

musick 03-27-05 01:20 AM

I can say I have been busy playing on and off since I got it on Thursday
just finished saving for the night I too am at the Rings Of Pandora right now
just got the Blade of Artemis and am about to begin the Challenge of Atlas

this game is simply breathtaking!!!

BigDave 03-28-05 10:12 AM

I picked this up last week and have played about 2.5 hours worth. Somewhere in Athens right now.

The audio and visuals are very good; especially on a an HDTV. It's 480p and 16x9.

The gameplay is very nice too. It is a bit of a button smasher, but the combos you can learn are very cool. Lots of blood and guts. It definitely earns its M rating.

I'd have to say that most of the reviews are spot on in their rankings. :thumbsup:

darqleo 03-28-05 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I never thought I'd play a third-person action game which included an orgy mini-game complete with the sounds of the orgasms of the two women you are going at it with.

I have only played it up to the point where we see our first tit shots, and I stopped right there because my nieces were in my room and I didn't feel right playing the game with them in here. I didn't really read anything about the game except just looking at the scores, so I didn't know about the nudity or anything, I just thought it got an M rating because of the violence and everything.

Are you being serious or just joking, it's hard to tell.
If you are serious... wow, just WOW.
;)

BigDave 03-28-05 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by darqleo
;)

All true. You don't see the orgy, but you get the idea. I've never seen anything like it before to gain experience points.

Brent L 03-28-05 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by darqleo
;)

As stated above, yes I'm serious and yes it's true. I really don't see the point of it being in the game myself. The game is rated M so you technically have to be 17+ to even buy the game, and I'd think that the younger people would get a laugh out of the deal instead of the older gamers.

It's almost like they completed the game, and then went back to it and everyone was stoned and decided to come up with something to put in there just for shits and giggles.

musick 03-28-05 04:04 PM

I really don't see the point of it being in the game myself.
the developer of the game has stated that it is a character development/plot device
I see nothing wrong with it and give kudos to the developer and the parent company (Sony) to allow it in the game at the expense of loosing some younger customers for the game

it is really such a blip in the overall grand scale of this game just as cars bouncing up and down in GTA is

asianxcore 03-28-05 09:35 PM

finally got a chance to put in a couple hours into this game. I am just starting on the Desert of Lost Souls level right now. Awesome game, really fun. I like the fact that you can upgrade your weapons and magic. Most the enemies though are super annoying :), especially the archers, cyclops' and gorgons.

i like the whole epic/theatrical feel the game has as well.

DVDKrayzie 04-01-05 03:43 AM

wow this game is incredible, if a llittle short. i had the day off from school, so i went and picked this up today and beat it already. oh well. i did unlock the chef mode and am replaying it with the frying pans for weapons, lol classic. there is a cow, a business suit and a few others too. never saw any orgy "mini game" though, what's that all about?

tavarua88 04-01-05 04:12 AM

its right after the scene where you speak to athena on the ship. you can go back to bed with the two girls there and get some red points.

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
wow this game is incredible, if a llittle short. i had the day off from school, so i went and picked this up today and beat it already. oh well. i did unlock the chef mode and am replaying it with the frying pans for weapons, lol classic. there is a cow, a business suit and a few others too. never saw any orgy "mini game" though, what's that all about?

Josh H 04-01-05 10:02 AM

Wow, this game got a 10, 10, 9.5 in the new EGM.

glassdragon 04-03-05 10:05 AM

Great game, I rented it tonite and couldn't put it down, (ie. i finished it tonite) Game is not too hard.. but it seems prety long.. It's like prince of persia without traps ever 3 seconds and 10 time times the fighting of sands of time.

tonyc3742 04-03-05 11:19 AM

How long did it take you to beat it? I'm on a rental as well and want to beat it before I return it.
It is indeed excellent. I never liked the DMC games, but GoW just works better. And of course it's beautiful [check the reflections on the shiny palace floor]. And it's programmed quite well, apart from saving/loading a game, I haven't noticed any pausing for loading. They seem to have taken a few liberties with the mythology, based on my admittedly fuzzy memory, but that's a minor quibble. The medusae are cheap, though.
I just crossed the Desert and am working on Atlas's Challenge.

Josh H 04-03-05 01:14 PM

The EGM reviewers said it took them about 9 hours to beat. Which is why I'm holding off to either rent when I have a week with a lot of free time, or buy when it hits $20.

DVDKrayzie 04-03-05 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The EGM reviewers said it took them about 9 hours to beat. Which is why I'm holding off to either rent when I have a week with a lot of free time, or buy when it hits $20.

9 hours maybe if you go out to lunch and dinner in between and maybe watch some TV. it only takes about 5 hours the first time with no guides. thats the only problem with this game, it's almost impossible to die(just use sq sq tri or jump and L1+circle the entire game, i don't think i EVER even bothered blocking)--except for the instant deaths (falling in pits).

the minigame afterwards is good for another hour too, only because levels 8 and 10 are such a bitch.

Josh H 04-03-05 01:37 PM

Wow. Ok definite rental then, not even worth $20 to me for 5 hours of play time.

tonyc3742 04-03-05 02:31 PM

Maybe I'm too picky, but after years of getting 40-100 hours per playthrough in RPG's, I couldn't make myself pay 5 bucks an hour to buy a game. A lot of these 'action/adventures' are relatively short as well. I know, it's quality, not quantity, but still.
I think the only times i've died so far are falling or being frozen/shattered by Medusae. And I hate insta-kills.

DARTH GAMER 04-03-05 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=DVDKrayzie]9 hours maybe if you go out to lunch and dinner in between and maybe watch some TV. it only takes about 5 hours the first time with no guides.

Your insane, I have been playing for over 9 hours and just beat the Hades challenge, and I consider myself fairly good at this genre of game. Another friend said it took him over 12 hours first time. There is no way it took you 5 hours unless you were maybe playing on the easy mode.

Mopower 04-03-05 07:27 PM

Oh man. This game kicks all sorts of ass. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a long time. Maybe I've been buying the wrong kinds of games. Anyway it's so fun. I've been playing it for 3 hours straight and it went by like nothing. Definately a must buy.

DVDKrayzie 04-03-05 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=DARTH GAMER]

9 hours maybe if you go out to lunch and dinner in between and maybe watch some TV. it only takes about 5 hours the first time with no guides.

Your insane, I have been playing for over 9 hours and just beat the Hades challenge, and I consider myself fairly good at this genre of game. Another friend said it took him over 12 hours first time. There is no way it took you 5 hours unless you were maybe playing on the easy mode.

no, i beat in in 5 first time, died like 4 times, 3 from falls and once on the 2nd form of the last boss, if you call that dying, i dont want to give away the spoiler. i then beat it on hard and it took about the same. seriously all you need is one combo (and then do the circle move) to beat everyone. there is so much health, it's insane. everytime you fight something you not only get a ton of health, but there's a health chest and magic chest right after it. you only need to power up 2 of the magics (the lightning and the hades one), the other 2 are worthless and the blade is worthless too so i never leveled that up either. dont get me worng i love the game, and it was worth the $35 at best buy. id have paid 50. better to have 6 hours of great gameplay than 40 hours of crap

musick 04-03-05 10:39 PM

no, i beat in in 5 first time, died like 4 times, 3 from falls and once on the 2nd form of the last boss, if you call that dying, i dont want to give away the spoiler. i then beat it on hard and it took about the same. seriously all you need is one combo (and then do the circle move) to beat everyone. there is so much health, it's insane. everytime you fight something you not only get a ton of health, but there's a health chest and magic chest right after it. you only need to power up 2 of the magics (the lightning and the hades one), the other 2 are worthless and the blade is worthless too so i never leveled that up either. dont get me worng i love the game, and it was worth the $35 at best buy. id have paid 50. better to have 6 hours of great gameplay than 40 hours of crap

I think someone set their clock back a few hours instead of forward this weekend
5 hrs LOL

DVDKrayzie 04-03-05 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by musick
I think someone set their clock back a few hours instead of forward this weekend
5 hrs LOL

sorry my saved game at the last boss says 5:38:33

musick 04-03-05 11:22 PM

I'd love to see a screenshot of that
I am at the final battle with 12 1/2 hours logged on normal difficulty (some of the best 12 1/2 hours of gaming I have ever spent)
even if someone was on easy mode I don't think this game could be navigated in 5 hours

vhgong 04-03-05 11:41 PM

How the hell do you beat the last boss? He is a pain in the butt!!! Help fellas!!!

DVDKrayzie 04-03-05 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by vhgong
How the hell do you beat the last boss? He is a pain in the butt!!! Help fellas!!!

which one?

ill try to get a screenshot for ya