Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Old 04-24-06, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 984 Likes on 713 Posts
I'm pretty sure you just have to sleep in that house to trigger an event and finish the quest. Oh, and it's in Anvil.
Old 04-24-06, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the "boss' chests) get better when you level? I have just started clearing some dungeons and the book says some have a boss' chest on the lower level, but most have some gold and junk, the best items I find are on the "boss" themselves.

I found the same sword with fire damage 3 times already (I don't recall the name).

I need to learn some spells so I can start enchanting my own stuff.
Old 04-24-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I'm pretty sure you just have to sleep in that house to trigger an event and finish the quest. Oh, and it's in Anvil.
No, I'm further into the quest than that. My house is already "infested" and I asked around already and everyone told me to see Benirus who's at the Queen and King's Tavern at the Elven Gardens District. I read on another site that he's supposed to eventually feel bad for me, but all he does is tell me it's my house, my problem.
Old 04-24-06, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best way to kill ghosts and other ghostly type creatures?
Old 04-24-06, 09:54 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hippochris
A sliver dagger or any magical weapon.
Old 04-24-06, 10:06 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by jon-w9
Do the "boss' chests) get better when you level? I have just started clearing some dungeons and the book says some have a boss' chest on the lower level, but most have some gold and junk, the best items I find are on the "boss" themselves.

I found the same sword with fire damage 3 times already (I don't recall the name).

I need to learn some spells so I can start enchanting my own stuff.
They get better, but I think it depends on the chest...also, as you get higher, you can still get the low level stuff I think...higher levels just mean the better stuff is possible and more likely. Weird that you 'd get the same thing three times...did you mean from the same chest?

I agree though, that I've found the best stuff on the people/monsters I'm fighting.
Old 04-24-06, 10:08 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by rabbit77
No, I'm further into the quest than that. My house is already "infested" and I asked around already and everyone told me to see Benirus who's at the Queen and King's Tavern at the Elven Gardens District. I read on another site that he's supposed to eventually feel bad for me, but all he does is tell me it's my house, my problem.
Did you take both the hand and the diary you found after the first time you slept there?
Old 04-24-06, 10:14 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by Mok
Originally Posted by hippochris
They are also not immune to fire, so ranged fire spells can be handy, but slow depending on your level.

They are also very easy to paralyze. I like to cast Illusion, walk right up to one, paralyze it and hack it to death.

While I didn't use them much, I always found silver weapons to be significantly inferior to magical weapons that do extra elemental damage. Some of them are immune to frost and or shock damage, I believe, so I would stick with fire.

They can follow you through doors and floors and ceilings, so try your best to only activate one at a time.

If you are hushed, check your magical effects screen (last tab of the spell pages) and if you have a potion, you should be able to dispell or cure poison it away.
Old 04-24-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Blade
Did you take both the hand and the diary you found after the first time you slept there?
crap! No, I only got the diary. That's got to be it. Thank you^1,000,000

Edit: when I got back to my house to get the hand, I saw that the scrap piece of diary was still there. Turns out I only read it but didn't take it the first time around.

Last edited by rabbit77; 04-25-06 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Blade
They get better, but I think it depends on the chest...also, as you get higher, you can still get the low level stuff I think...higher levels just mean the better stuff is possible and more likely. Weird that you 'd get the same thing three times...did you mean from the same chest?

I agree though, that I've found the best stuff on the people/monsters I'm fighting.
No, not the same chest, but the same sword from 3 different caves/fort/dungeons/ruins.

It is just a 2-handed sword with 5 fire or something, and I found one that is the same sword, with 5 frost.
Old 04-25-06, 01:38 PM
Uber Member

No, not the same chest, but the same sword from 3 different caves/fort/dungeons/ruins.

It is just a 2-handed sword with 5 fire or something, and I found one that is the same sword, with 5 frost.
You know, I recently redid a dungeon that I did when I first started the game (the second time I was around level 24). The bandits were now wearing glass armor, but I noticed that some of the chests still had very low level stuff, though I did find high level stuff too. I think that anything locked is going to be leveled. Or at least a better chance of good stuff.
Old 04-25-06, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mok

Don't forget deadric (sp?) weapons as well.
Old 04-25-06, 04:53 PM
DAC

Having never played a game like this before, I am wondering what you do when you get into a place and can't get out? I am just beginning and am in Wendir Nagasel (I think) and have killed everything in this cave/dungeon area and not I can't find a way out of there. It is really frustrating.
Old 04-25-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DAC
Having never played a game like this before, I am wondering what you do when you get into a place and can't get out? I am just beginning and am in Wendir Nagasel (I think) and have killed everything in this cave/dungeon area and not I can't find a way out of there. It is really frustrating.
Can't you check your map and backtrack? Are did you fall in a hole or something?
Old 04-25-06, 04:57 PM
DAC

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Can't you check your map and backtrack? Are did you fall in a hole or something?
Yeah, I checked the map. But yeah, I also fell off the edge of a hallway thing and can't get back up. Do I need to restart from my last save in a situation like this?
Old 04-25-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DAC
Yeah, I checked the map. But yeah, I also fell off the edge of a hallway thing and can't get back up. Do I need to restart from my last save in a situation like this?
You might be SOL and need to do that...but because I'm only a couple hours into the game other more experienced players may have some other info.
Old 04-25-06, 05:02 PM
DAC

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
You might be SOL and need to do that...but because I'm only a couple hours into the game other more experienced players may have some other info.

Me too. I'm only an hour or so into it. I was going to find the heir after delivering the amulet. Got into this dungeon place and fell off a cliff thing and have been wandering around for a while but can't find an exit at all.
Old 04-25-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC
If it's the one I'm thinking of there is a couple of other sections to go through, one of the sections will lead back out by the original door you came in. You evidently haven't been everywhere yet.
Old 04-25-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is the purpose of Welkynd Stones and Aleyid statues?

The stones glow, are they used for light, or something better?
I also found a statue, and I don't know whether to sell it. I have a couple of (completed) quest amulets and such. None of them have an enchantment, are they worth keeping or just selling for a couple of gold and space in inventory.
Old 04-25-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DAC

This has happened to me. Bring up your journal (B) and scroll to the right-most section, then bring up the in-room map. It will show all available exits. Make sure you're not walking by one because it's hidden / in the floor / in the ceiling.
Old 04-25-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought the tower expansion tonight and it is so far the most worth the money. There isn't a quest involved other than buying the upgrades but holy crap is it nice. There is a spell creating station, an enchanted object creating station, a garden with herbs from everywhere (nightshade and even some herbs from the Oblivion plane) that regenerates, an alchemy station that boosts your alchemy by 15 points when standing at it, teleports to every mages guild, an altar that supposedly will summon a daedric familiar for you that you can dismiss at will (frost, fire, or something else atronachs).

Plus if you go to the top of the tower you have an awesome view. This has been the most useful download so far.
Old 04-25-06, 09:56 PM
Uber Member

What is the purpose of Welkynd Stones and Aleyid statues?

The stones glow, are they used for light, or something better?
I also found a statue, and I don't know whether to sell it. I have a couple of (completed) quest amulets and such. None of them have an enchantment, are they worth keeping or just selling for a couple of gold and space in inventory.
Welkynd stones will instantly regenerate all your magicka points when you activate them. This becomes much more useful (assuming you plan to use magic) as your magicka points increase. Each stone is one use only and disappears after you use it. These are mostly only found in Aeylid ruins (aka Elven ruins). You may also find something called a varla stone. This is a very useful item as it will recharge every magic item in your inventory.

You can sell the first Aleyid statue you find with no worries.

Last edited by Blade; 04-25-06 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-25-06, 10:12 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by DAC
All the dungeons I've been in have been very good about not letting you get trapped somewhere you can't escape from. If you're relying on the map, then remember that it's a overhead perspective and not very useful when pathways are right on top of each other. I'm assuming you have a light source.

Also, the Bus is right, if you aren't using the in room map, that's probably why you can't get out.

Assuming you're using the map and still having problems....I haven't been to this ruin yet (it's part of the Ayleid statue quest), but I would suggest a methodical approach...when I enter an area, I usually just go right and keep following the wall until I get a sense of the perimeter and then start exploring the interior (assuming I don't see any bad guys). In your case, I would do the same and then follow any exits and see if they led me back up to the top area.

FYI, the guidebook description of this dungeon says that this is a two level dungeon and that staying on high ground on the first level and second levels will mean less trouble and a faster path to the prize. To me this means that you're stuck on the "low ground" and need to find your way up. It's there though.

Hope something in there helps.
Old 04-26-06, 06:23 AM
DAC

Thanks. I got impatient and just restarted from my previous save point. I guess, I'll be a bit more methodical in the future.
Old 04-26-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I bought the tower expansion tonight and it is so far the most worth the money. There isn't a quest involved other than buying the upgrades but holy crap is it nice. There is a spell creating station, an enchanted object creating station, a garden with herbs from everywhere (nightshade and even some herbs from the Oblivion plane) that regenerates, an alchemy station that boosts your alchemy by 15 points when standing at it, teleports to every mages guild, an altar that supposedly will summon a daedric familiar for you that you can dismiss at will (frost, fire, or something else atronachs).

Plus if you go to the top of the tower you have an awesome view. This has been the most useful download so far.
Thanks for the review. I didn't get the Orrey or the horse armour but, this one sounds good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.