Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Old 06-03-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The duplicating bug has been patched already. I actually unplugged my ethernet cable after it downloaded a fix for it that I didn't want.

I use it to duplicate arrows, not to make money or something. Anyway, I restored and old save and the patch wasn't there.

Lately the lights on the controller have been blinking on opposite sides. Lie the lights for controller 1&4, the 2&3, does anybody know what this means?
Old 06-03-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with the very end of the main quest:

When you get to the big red bad guy who can step on you, what do you do to pass him? I have tried some freeze and lightning spells, but they don't seem to do much, and if I hit him w/ my sword he just steps on me.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-03-06, 03:49 PM
LiK

Originally Posted by jon-w9
The duplicating bug has been patched already. I actually unplugged my ethernet cable after it downloaded a fix for it that I didn't want.

I use it to duplicate arrows, not to make money or something. Anyway, I restored and old save and the patch wasn't there.

Lately the lights on the controller have been blinking on opposite sides. Lie the lights for controller 1&4, the 2&3, does anybody know what this means?
they patched it already??? dammit. i just love getting like 100 pieces of the same armor pop out. it looks hilarious and very profitable. ^^ i haven't played Oblivion in a week after i beat the main quest. still have to complete the assasin and thieves guild stuff. and the daedric quests too. i hope they fixed the umbra quest bug, i'll go check the bethesda forums for it.

btw, your controller is blinking is because it's running low on batteries. if you're using AA batteries, replace them. if you're using the lithion rechargeable ones, then get the play-and-charge kit to recharge it. hope that helps.
Old 06-03-06, 03:54 PM
LiK

Originally Posted by DamingR

When you get to the big red bad guy who can step on you, what do you do to pass him? I have tried some freeze and lightning spells, but they don't seem to do much, and if I hit him w/ my sword he just steps on me.

Thanks for the help!
please highlight cuz it contains spoilers:

---easy, just run past him to get to the door of the temple (follow the compass). if he steps on you, you should only lose half your life on default difficulty. try to pass him close to the wall. he cannot be killed by you so there's no reason to attack him. hope that helps.---
Old 06-03-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just went into Rockmilk Cave for the first time.

Good stuff there.
Old 06-03-06, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the help!

Highlight to read:
I just ran past him myself. Just ran to the door of the temple and went in. Once you get in the temple with Martin, things will move along.
Old 06-03-06, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LiK
they patched it already??? dammit. i just love getting like 100 pieces of the same armor pop out. it looks hilarious and very profitable. ^^ i haven't played Oblivion in a week after i beat the main quest. still have to complete the assasin and thieves guild stuff. and the daedric quests too. i hope they fixed the umbra quest bug, i'll go check the bethesda forums for it.
I believe so, I tried duplicating arrows and it said something like "you cannot complete this action (dropping items) until you complete your current action (shooting arrow)"

What is the Umbra bug?
Old 06-03-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Well with the new patch coming out, and my new Sony HDTV LCD coming next week, I believe it may be time for another run through oblivion.
Old 06-03-06, 09:37 PM
LiK

I believe so, I tried duplicating arrows and it said something like "you cannot complete this action (dropping items) until you complete your current action (shooting arrow)"

What is the Umbra bug?
hmm, doesn't seem unusual, i guess i'll try the duplication bug to see if it's fixed. there's no announcement of a patch from what i can find. it hinkt he patch is coming out in a few weeks.

the umbra is one of the daedric quests. infamous bug on the 360 where when you start the quest, you get an item in your inventory. it cannot be removed until quest is done. then when you complete the quest, it will freeze your game when it leaves your posession. it's a pretty well known bug and Bethesda said they would try fixing it asap.

there's a ton of discussion about it on their forums. there is two ways to go around the bug but it's complicated to explain here. try checking the Bethesda forums before you initiate the quest ^^

Last edited by LiK; 06-03-06 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 03:57 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I started playing this last night, as I rented it (after having a fun time finding an available copy.) I played for four hours, but only clocked in at about 2 hours and 58 minutes worth of actual playing time (can you tell I don't usually play these types of games?)

So far, I like it. I chose a dark elf, and I plan to mainly focus on my thief attributes. I ended up buying the game today, when my second 360 was returned to EB. Unfortunately, my Mom didn't keep the harddrive when she took it back, like she did the first time (I wasn't up, and she just took the liberty of going to the mall and exchanging it.) Purolator came shortly after she took it back, and picked up all of their defective units. So, I lost everything. Thank God I'd only been playing Oblivion for four hours.

Edit: Nevermind, we called EB and they were able to locate the Purolator guy who had my system. So, everything is in their back room and I'm going to go pick it up tonight. I'm definitely going to play more Oblivion tonight.

Last edited by Wick; 06-05-06 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I recommned getting the guide for this game. There is a lot a very good info in there that will greatly enhance your gaming experience with this game.
Old 06-05-06, 05:06 PM
Uber Member

What is the Umbra bug?
I did the duplication thing successfully a couple weeks ago and it gives you this message when you do it, so that's normal.
Old 06-05-06, 05:06 PM
Uber Member

Thanks for the help!
If you really want to attack him though, I suggest ranged attacks.
Old 06-05-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Blade
I did the duplication thing successfully a couple weeks ago and it gives you this message when you do it, so that's normal.

Hmm, maybe I never noticed it before, but I am pretty sure it didn't work. It could have been some certain circumstances that didn't allow it.
Old 06-05-06, 10:33 PM
LiK

Hmm, maybe I never noticed it before, but I am pretty sure it didn't work. It could have been some certain circumstances that didn't allow it.
yea, it hasn't been patched yet. i got those error messages too, it's normal. it seems when you dupe an item, it won't really dupe the same thing unless you use them up or you buy more arrows for the dupe to work.

for example, you have 50 x arrows and another 50 y arrows, when you use the dupe method, you'll get 50 of whatever you duped. i tried duping the same item and it didn't work until i used most of them up. it's a little glitchy thing with the dupe bug but it's a bug after all.

but i do expect bethesada to fix that bug cuz it's pretty well known and they might make it one of the major bug fixes. when that time comes, i gotta earn gold the old fashion way again...
Old 06-06-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, maybe it was a quantity thing, and I just didn't notice. I guess I would be safe to leave my box unplugged in case it comes through, or until I finish it with this character. My next one won't be an archer, so arrows won't really be a problem.

I now think it had to do with circumstaces. The light on my controller were spinning and then this occurred, I just assumed it was downloading something (patch) in the background. If/When the patch comes out will it automatically download, or will we have a choice?

Last edited by jon-w9; 06-06-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 11:30 AM
LiK

Oh, maybe it was a quantity thing, and I just didn't notice. I guess I would be safe to leave my box unplugged in case it comes through, or until I finish it with this character. My next one won't be an archer, so arrows won't really be a problem.

I now think it had to do with circumstaces. The light on my controller were spinning and then this occurred, I just assumed it was downloading something (patch) in the background. If/When the patch comes out will it automatically download, or will we have a choice?
it will probably ask you to update your game but you can immediately turn off the console, unplug the cable and it wont ask for the update.

but when the patch comes out and this thread is still alive, i'll update everyone here, if nooone else notices ^^
Old 06-06-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Patch day!

Woo hoo! As seen on http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm:

"06.06.06 - Oblivion Patch and Update
We have released patches for the English versions of Oblivion for PC. There is a North American patch and one for UK/Europe/Australia (English versions only) You can read the patch notes here and download the patches here. An update will also be available on Xbox Live today for Xbox 360 users (English version only). The patch notes also covers issues addressed in the 360 update."

And here's the list of bug fixes, some of which only apply to the PC version:

"Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue with falling through collision in Fort Wooden Hand.

Fixed issue with remapping controls in French, German, Italian and Spanish versions.

Fixed issue with some shadows not lining up.

Going to jail while equipped with bound armor or weapons no longer crashes the game.

Fixed issue with bound weapons not dispelling properly after dismounting a horse.

Fixed issue with player shadow being delayed after fast travel.

Fixed infinite gold issue on some dead NPCs.

Fixed issue with disease resistences that made it impossible to contract vampirism under certain circumstances.

Fixed an issue where occasionally skills would not increase properly after you received an increase in a way other than skill uses like as a quest reward.

Fixed issue where spells, powers and lesser powers were being improperly resisted when the player cast them on themselves.

Fixed an issue where creatures and NPCs would not go into combat properly after being hit by a projectile.

Fixed an issue with duplicating items and unequiping the bow.

Fixed an exploit that allowed you to sell equipped items to a vendor more than once while on a horse.

Fixed an issue with items reappearing in dead bodies after saving and reloading.

Fixed crash when NPC with active light spell on them unloaded from memory.

New Very Low Quality graphic setting available under Launcher options with improved support for low end FX cards (5700 and lower). To use this setting, go to the Launcher, select Options and click Reset to Defaults to allow the auto detect to check your system.

Implemented SLI-mode optimizations on Nvidia cards, and Crossfire optimizations for ATI cards.

Fixed a crash issue where loading a save would crash if the player had extra data on them.

Fixed an issue for LOD art for city was not unloading quickly enough when exiting an interior.

Fixed an issue where Aylied doors would not open when activated in Miscarcand.

Quest Fixes

If you are permanently expelled from Mages Guild, you can now go back into the Mages Guild buildings.

In The Siren's Deception, the door to Gweden farmhouse is prevented from locking too soon if player exits too quickly.

In the Light the Dragonfires quest, player controls are prevented from being locked if player accidentally hits Ocato during the final battle in the Imperial Palace.

In the Confront the King quest, fixed an issue where Mannimarco would occasionally stop fighting the player while the player's controls are locked.

In Corruption and Conscience, fixed an issue if player got to Llevana's house earlier than expected and she would initiate trespass behavior rather than move the quest forward.

In Theranis' Mistake, it is no longer possible to get multiple copies of Ahdarji's ring. Also, fixed an issue with player receiving Blood Price topic too early in the quest.

In the Leyawiin Recommendation quest, it is no longer possible to bypass Kalthar in Fort Blueblood.

In Revenge Served Cold, Corrick will now recognize when player had the jade amulet in their inventory if No Stone Unturned quest had been previously completed.

In Infiltration, player can no longer kill Blackwood Company members and stop progress in Fighter's Guild.

In Dark Brotherhood, if you kill fellow members and get kicked out of the guild, you can no longer continue to progress in the questline until you redeem yourself and get back in.

In The Master's Son, the player now properly receives their reward when completing the quest.

In Caught in the Hunt, fixed an issue where NPCs would not go into combat properly.

In the Cheydinhal Recommendation quest, fixed an issue where Vidkun's body would disappear if you left the well.

Getting disqualified from the first Arena match no longer blocks you from further matches.

In Till Death Do They Part, the Count no longer rewards player with gold more than once. Fixed an issue with not receiving the Vampire Ashes topic if the player picked up vampire ashes before getting the quest. Fixed issue where Bloodgrass topic was not added if player finished the Main Quest before starting quest. Hal-Liurz will now follow player properly when asked about the cure.

In Mystery and Harlun's Watch, the dead body you are supposed to find will no longer disappear from Swampy Cave if you cleared out the dungeon before starting the quest.

In Blood of the Daedra, Martin will now recognize Spellbreaker as a Daedric artifact.

In When the Vow Breaks, additional instance of Rockshatter are now prevented from appearing on Bjalfi's dead corpse after saving and reloading.

In Paranoia, game no longer crashes when Bernadette Peneles exits the city while you are following her.

For Clavicus Vile quest, fixed crash with giving or refusing to give Umbra to Clavicus Vile.

Plugin Fixes

Fixed issue with saving your game while an actor is in a new interior cell created in a plugin, and re-loading the save game without the plugin.

Fixed issue with loading previous saves with plugin that contains new base objects that are containers, NPCs and creatures.

Fixed issue with linked pathpoints scripted to switch on/off that are modified by a plugin.

NPC's companions no longer disappear when they fast travel with player to an exterior cell that is modified by a plugin.

New scripted spell effects created in a plugin now work properly."

New 360 console update and the Oblivion patch all in one day - awesome. Now that the Cheydinhal Recommendation bug is patched, I can finally progress on the Mages Guild storyline. I haven't played Oblivion in weeks because the bugs pissed me off to the point where I didn't want to deal with the game any more. Tonight I'll have to fire it up again.
Old 06-06-06, 01:13 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Rats no update for 360 users till tomorrow.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

"An update will also be available on Xbox Live tomorrow for Xbox 360 users (English version only)."

Last edited by Mok; 06-06-06 at 01:27 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 06-06-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mok
Rats no update for 360 users till tomorrow.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/home.htm

"An update will also be available on Xbox Live tomorrow for Xbox 360 users (English version only)."
Dang. Sometime between my post and yours, they changed the text in that post.
Old 06-06-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"In Mystery and Harlun's Watch, the dead body you are supposed to find will no longer disappear from Swampy Cave if you cleared out the dungeon before starting the quest."

Now I can finally get the last Fighter's Guild achievement. Yay!
Old 06-06-06, 02:21 PM
LiK

cool, thanks for the list maxf

i hope they not only fix the bugs in the 360 version, but i hope they make optimization changes so there's less problems with the harddrive and cache problems and freezing/stuttering during loadings
Old 06-06-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MaxF
Fixed infinite gold issue on some dead NPCs.
R.I.P. Dorian
Old 06-06-06, 09:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Quick question:

In the Clavicus Vile quest, if you refuse to give up Umbra, does that count as succesfully completing the quest, or does it count as failing? I want Umbra, but I want the prize from the last Daedric quest more.
Old 06-07-06, 04:19 AM
LiK

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Quick question:

In the Clavicus Vile quest, if you refuse to give up Umbra, does that count as succesfully completing the quest, or does it count as failing? I want Umbra, but I want the prize from the last Daedric quest more.
yes, if you refuse you still complete the quest. do you have the 360 version? let us know if your game crashes or not. i mentioned the bug in this thread.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.